Sick of being the good guy!

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Malyc said:
Cogwheel said:
Planescape: Torment.

And if you have the heart to actually be consistently evil in that game, consider me duly terrified of you.
Challenge Accepted.

Now, where does a guy have to go to be able to get this game? All the downloads I found are dead...
GOG.com has it.

Also, this will probably be one of the best RPGs you ever play.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well you already mentioned Dungeon Keeper, so I'm fresh out of ideas. Just type evil protagonist into Google or something.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Karnot said:
Imagine a Lord of the rings game where you actualy play as a servant of sauron trying to get the ring back. I am looking for that kind of evil side in games.
Unless I'm mistaken, there are plenty of games like that. I think one of the main selling points of Lord of the Rings: Conquest [http://www.gametrailers.com/game/lord-of-the-rings-conquest/6742] was a "what if" campaign where you played as the forces of Sauron. Granted, the game wasn't too well received but if being evil is what matters, it might be worth checking out (if you can find it). I'm also fairly sure there's an evil campaign on Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II [http://www.gametrailers.com/game/lord-of-the-rings-battle/2078], I'm absolutely certain there is one in the expansion, since it's pretty much built around the idea. Unfortunately, I know from looking for it that it's pretty hard to get a hold of these days, unless you resort to piracy :(

Aside from that, I would say give InFamous a try. It still has that "you can be evil but you still have to stay on the main quest" angle that you seem to dislike, but It's still very much about choosing to be good or bad, rather than offering moral choices.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Malyc said:
Cogwheel said:

And if you have the heart to actually be consistently evil in that game, consider me duly terrified of you.
Challenge Accepted.

Now, where does a guy have to go to be able to get this game? All the downloads I found are dead...
GOG.com has it.

Also, this will probably be one of the best RPGs you ever play.
Thank you! I shall remember your contribution, and let you know if my cold heart has the ability to be cruel throughout. (Somewhat doubt it, im a pretty nice guy XD)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Mass Effect in ME1 your Renegade actions are just being a douche in ME3 you are a straight up serial killer

any Bethesda game.

FO1/2 you can kill kids in it without mods.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Destroy all humans is the only one that springs to mind - havent played it in ages though so I couldnt tell you much about it!

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Dang, Black and White already mentioned.

tippy2k2 said:
EDIT! OH! How about Hitman? Agent 47 isn't a good guy, right?!?
47 usually kills corrupt people, crime lords and pedophiles. Hardly a bad guy.

He's pretty much Jason Statham of gaming.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Dark Souls.

Granted, it certainly won't benefit you much, but you can kill pretty much everyone and then engulf the world in darkness.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Malyc said:
Cogwheel said:

Challenge Accepted.

Not that I want to detract from your goal here, but I've done it. Still worth doing (great game), but I will suggest not just slaughtering entire towns. If you kill certain people before they give up certain information, you will lose the game. So save often, and insure you get what you need from them before ornamenting their heads on your wall. >;)

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
DevilWithaHalo said:
Malyc said:
Cogwheel said:

Challenge Accepted.

Not that I want to detract from your goal here, but I've done it. Still worth doing (great game), but I will suggest not just slaughtering entire towns. If you kill certain people before they give up certain information, you will lose the game. So save often, and insure you get what you need from them before ornamenting their heads on your wall. >;)
There are varying degrees of evil, and mine tend to be the "If you are of no use to me, I kill you" variety. Hence, shopkeepers, contacts, stooges, etc are generally safe... until they end their usefulness.

leaderproxima

Mar 1, 2012
There is a good game that i have on the PC called Evil Genius. Its quite old, but you get to play a criminal mastermind and cause all sorts of havoc. I have plenty of fun killing people XD

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Xenedus said:
The reason why it's hard to create a compelling game where you play as an undeniable evil person who revels in their evil is because it is hard to create a compelling or relate-able evil protagonist. If the protagonist KNOWS they are evil and are committing evil for the sake of evil then it comes off as corny and insincere. If they commit evil so that they might ultimately commit good (see Revan) then they are not really the kind of evil you are looking for. The problem with what you are asking for is that in order for you to join up with the truely "bad" guys your character would have to be completely stupid as you would be shooting yourself in the foot and most likely signing your own death warrant.

It's like asking why you can't play as a zombie in a zombie survival horror game and that's because it's practically impossible to create a compelling character out of a mindless zombie who just follows orders/hunger and the game would have no staying power because nobody could relate to or feel any connection to any of the characters.
I can agree with most of what you said, but that is just the trick to remember when making an "evil" avatar in these games. "Stubbs the Zombie" is a pretty good example of how to make a Zombie avatar in the game. It was played up for laughs and had its tongue firmly in its cheek, but you really do feel like playing as a zombie in that game.

Xenedus said:
Probably the most compelling realistic "evil" characters you play as are characters who simply follow orders and do as they are told because they don't have the courage to resist the system they are controlled by. The problem with characters like these is that they tend to be very cowardly and uninteresting because they avoid conflict and conflict is what pretty much constitutes the majority of any story so it's hard to work with a character like that. So in order to fix this the game usually makes them a "good" person who is asked to do evil things and then has to deal with the internal conflict of whether to carry out his orders or to resist the system at his own detriment.
I can agree that an "evil" avatar is one that thinks they are doing good but perform "evil" actions to get to that goal: A Paladin burning all women because a prophecy of a witch will destroy his god's land is a good example. But would evil character's be stupid or cowards? I don't think so. One quote I like about the difference between a villain and hero is, "A hero is praised in one town, but seen as a villain in another town." You could have a villain that is respected or seen as a hero from one faction in the game yet be a villain to another faction. For example: Say an army of demons or vampires are being slaughtered by a holy army, and if this continues the demons/vampires will be wiped out. They decide to send a succubus (you) behind enemy lines and assassinate key targets to turn the tide of the war, or capture and use humans as "breeding cattle" on the enemy side to regrow the force in the future. The player needs to do evil actions in order to win in the game, but from the perspective of the faction they come from (demons or vampires), they are doing "good."

Even if the villain avatar was a coward, there could be conflict. This would work great for a stealth game where the villain has to sneak around a city or peaceful region so he doesn't get caught doing what he is doing.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I was gonna say Fallout New Vegas, since I just recently went on a mohave-wide killing spree in it just to see if I could still complete the game (I could and did), but that would be beating the proverbial dead horse.

For more cartoonish, mustache-twirling evil...
AC10 said:
In Evil Genius you have to be evil.
... yeah, that.

So I have nothing to add but a picture linked to a wikipedia page.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Genius_(video_game)]

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
You know where this good guy thing really doesn't make sense? Grand theft auto. I don't care if you're killing gangsters from a position of moral superiority, you're still killing a ton of gangsters. For god's sake, the only way to get a car is by stealing it. Do I really still have to be a good guy in this fucking series? Why?

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
You can be a gigantic evil dick in Civilization games.

Just to try my damn best to terrify the AI, I raze every capital city I conquer to the ground, incite troublesome cities I own to revolt, then swoop in with a nearby army and put them down.

I enslave innocents, use biochemical weaponry, use nukes to solve ANY problem, and my tradition when I find the last enemy city on the map, is to line up all my nearby units, circle the city and just bombard with everything I have, until it's gone, the ground around it is irradiated and the entire part of that map looks like a nightmare.

To sum up, Civilization allows you to be evil on a planetary scale.