Sick of the Duke Nuke 'Em hype

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Its an awesome looking game and I can't wait for it to come out. Hail tot he king baby!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hype? What hype?

That said, the demo's coming out tomorrow, so I'll get to finally make up my mind on whether or not I want to pre-order it.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
The only hype I've seen is on the videos. I've seen little to no hype threads really.

Personally I'm buying it just so I can actually say I bought Duke Nukem fuckin' Forever.

Seriously, I grew up with that game being the butt of jokes for the never-coming release. The prospect is still infeasible to me.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who is not excited for this game what so ever?
Am I the ONLY one who is fucking pissed off at people starting their posts with the words "Am I the only one...."?

It has been said many times. NO. You are NEVER the only one.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Its yet another attempt to cash in on retro. I've never been a fan of duke and i really have no intrest in this latest game. I am a little pissed that one of the longest running jokes in game history is no longer available to me. Because thats all duke has ever been to me. A big Fucking joke.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
immovablemover said:
Pro tip time! "Omg why are people excited about this game? it looks so sux" threads are just as insipid and annoying as "Omg how can you not be excited about this game? It looks so fun times!" threads. You are not different, you are the other side of the same whiny coin.
Sadly a lot of threads seem to be like this, especially anti-CoD, anti-Halo and pro-Skyrim.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
If this sets gaming backwards...why don't people ***** about Saint's Row setting gaming backwards?

BRING ON THE BACKWARDS.

If this is ruining gaming, let's burn gaming to the ground, then. I want more stuff like it.
But... But... You couldn't have played it yet to know that its that essential to gaming.

Not trying to be a dick, but I just don't see why everyone decries it the second coming of gaming or the reason why gaming will fail... I kinda see it as bland. I have a funny feeling it will be like Bulletstorm, fun for a little while, but ultimately disappointing.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
No, you aren't the only one. We've already had several threads complaining about the game.

I am looking forward to it, hoping it will herald the coming of silly shooters so that Crytek will let Crytek UK make TimeSplitters 4.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Yeah, I'd probably have fun with it, but it's just not the sort of game I'm interested in shelling out money for. I'd probably be first in line for a game that played like it but wasn't so low-class, though.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I am not that excited by the game either, but I am just going to ignore it. The people that are excited to buy the game will buy the game whereas the people who are not interested don't have to buy the game. I also didn't know that there was that much hype surrounding the game, I thought people were more shocked that development of the game was continuing than excited if you ask me.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
DMF is not on my list of games but I don't get sick of the ads as I just ignore them.

Onyx Oblivion said:
If this sets gaming backwards...why don't people ***** about Saint's Row setting gaming backwards?

BRING ON THE BACKWARDS.

If this is ruining gaming, let's burn gaming to the ground, then. I want more stuff like it.
Because Saints Row the Third will probably let me play the same way a played in 2. A man with a green mohawk, wearing only womens underwear, combat boots and a ton of tattoos and piercings. A very open game since it allows all lifestyles not just straight males.

BAM! Overdone argument ended in a nice pile o' BS

While I do tend to agree with (on this but especially on oblivion stuff) I had to have me a Saints Row argument.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Inkidu said:
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who is not excited for this game what so ever? If anything, This game is more of a step back than forward. (IMO) It's just feeding the stereotype of what most people think a gamer is. I get that it's supposed to be a joke, but, I'm not laughing. I'm wondering why games like this are even being made.
Yeah, the sad part is Pitchford is really taking Duke seriously, and the game itself seems to be taking itself seriously.
..........not sure if trolling..........

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
I'm mostly just happy to see a shooter that isn't taking itself so bloody seriously. Too much olive drab.

Do I think it'll be the best game ever produced? No.

Do I think it'll be better than yet another medal of call of battlefield modern special black ops of two front? Yes.

Do I think it'll be better than "that other thing but in space"? Dear god yes.

Stupid one liners are better than silent protagonists. Crazy over the top weapons are better than realistic weapons.

The tits do nothing for me other than force me to plan my playtime for when there are no bystanders. Other than that, I'll take a game with immature humor and a cheezie personality over a game with NO humor and NO personality every single time. If we must fetishize something, let it be over the top fantasy violence and the works of Bruce Campbell rather than Aliens again or Band of Brothers again. Above all, let's stop taking ourselves so bloody serious. PLEASE.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
EternalFacepalm said:
Because games, like any medium, should try to appeal to as many as possible. We have movies like this, we have books like this, why not games?
I'm not looking forward to it, but I can see why some are.
This. A million times this. I'm so sick of those snooty people who think we need more stuff like Heavy Rain and LA Noire and should get rid of anything else that isn't like them. Heavy Rain and LA Noire are fine games, but if that's all we had to play, gaming would suck. There's a reason why there's all different kinds of movies, all different kinds of books, and all different kinds of TV Shows. The real step backwards for games would be getting rid of stuff like Duke Nukem Forever or Saints Row and whatever else because they aren't artsy-fartsy "Look what we can put in games now mom!" titles.

I mean really. Nobody's saying we should get rid of movies like Die Hard or anything like that. So wake up and realize that if you really want games to be as important a medium as any other out there, you need the diversity. Yes, douchebags out there now say games are teh evilz, but getting rid of certain kinds of games isn't going to fix that problem. Ignoring them and waiting for people who grew up playing games to be more out there in the world is what will fix it, just like for any other previously oppressed medium. So get off my nuts and let me play some Saints Row 2 if I want to. Yippie-kai-yay mother fucker!

Alexlion

May 2, 2011
meh who cares? A decade for a mediocre game with a dated sense of humour, ignore it i will and life will be better for it.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
ThatDaveDude1 said:
Inkidu said:
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who is not excited for this game what so ever? If anything, This game is more of a step back than forward. (IMO) It's just feeding the stereotype of what most people think a gamer is. I get that it's supposed to be a joke, but, I'm not laughing. I'm wondering why games like this are even being made.
Yeah, the sad part is Pitchford is really taking Duke seriously, and the game itself seems to be taking itself seriously.
..........not sure if trolling..........
Look up this week's Jimquisition. He quotes Pitchford. Anyway, if you have to wonder then it's not. Also your flagrant disregard for the noble period irks me.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
I got a feeling the Duke will be mediocre at best, hype is never a good thing. Don't think I've ever played a game that lives up to mass hype

geier

Oct 15, 2010
It's just because you are too young !
I played the original Duke Nukem in 2 D on my first 90MHZ PC (yes, i'm old), and waited over a decade for the next part after DN3D.

And, if someone from ID Software is watching this thread, i'm still waiting for my DukeNukem 3D booklet !
You see, here in germany the game was delivered without a booklet, but with a coupn, you could send in to get one.
Even back in the old days they where not abble to deliver on time.

Whoops, typo, i meant decade, not century, i'm not THAT old.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I stopped caring a while back, but still, it's amazing that somehow ... it is actually getting released after I don't know how many years.