Sick of the Duke Nuke 'Em hype

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I doesn't look good at all. I have a friend who keeps talking about it and said it will be ten times better than half life 2.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Only one? HA! There are a million threads on here complaining about how duke nukem is single handedly destroying every art game ever. You're not the first, you're not even the 5th. And you know what? I'm sick of you people complaining that duke nukem forever is coming out. It's not preventing art games from existing, it's not actively destroying art game developers and publishers, it's not reversing this industry! It's just a game that fans and people who want a fun shooter will buy. You don't have to buy it, you don't have to like it. So just shut up and look forward to your next art game, whatever the hell it is.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Inkidu said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
Inkidu said:
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who is not excited for this game what so ever? If anything, This game is more of a step back than forward. (IMO) It's just feeding the stereotype of what most people think a gamer is. I get that it's supposed to be a joke, but, I'm not laughing. I'm wondering why games like this are even being made.
Yeah, the sad part is Pitchford is really taking Duke seriously, and the game itself seems to be taking itself seriously.
..........not sure if trolling..........
Look up this week's Jimquisition. He quotes Pitchford. Anyway, if you have to wonder then it's not. Also your flagrant disregard for the noble period irks me.
Well if Jim Sterling interprets the quote like that, then it must mean what he says it does.
/Sarcasm

I've seen this week's Jimquisition, and I know what quote you're talking about. I also know how astoundingly, unbelievably wrong Jim was on almost every single point that he made, including this quote.

Randy Pitchford does not take Duke Nukem serious, and Jim Sterling is a fucking idiot for suggesting that he did.

Duke Nukem is a character so over-the-top and unbelievable, that nobody in their right mind possibly could take him seriously, let alone is intended to. Jim Sterling complains about the lack of irony present in Duke being treated like a hero deserving of all of his praise. That is the Irony. When Randy Pitchford says that Duke is "to be admired, not laughed at," he doesn't mean admired by us, he means admired in the game. The character of Duke Nukem is played straight as a National Hero, deserving of praise. We in the real world are in on the joke. We know that Duke Nukem is an idiot, who absolutely should be laughed at. We know that Duke Nukem isn't deserving of any praise. That's the irony Jim Sterling can't see.

Nobody, and I repeat nobody, least of all Randy Pitchford takes Duke seriously, because they're not supposed to. He's a character designed to be laughed at and ridiculed. Ridiculed by us.

This ended up being longer than I would have liked...Sorry for the wall of text.

SonOfStayPuft

Sep 21, 2010
I'm genuinely hyped for this game.Almost (yes almost) as much as I am for Gears of War 3 and Batman Arkham City.

Mainly because I had the original Duke game on an old PC when it first came out, and DN3D is my favourite FPS of all time.

I'm not expecting a GOTY contender, but as long as it lives up to the promise after all these years, and is classic Duke, then i'm happy.All I want is a very enjoyable game, with Jon St John's classic voiceover, Duke's attitude, and the slaying of PigCops and Octobrains in humorous ways.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
If this sets gaming backwards...why don't people ***** about Saint's Row setting gaming backwards?

BRING ON THE BACKWARDS.

If this is ruining gaming, let's burn gaming to the ground, then. I want more stuff like it.
I'll bring the gasoline!
OP: Just ignore it. And when did gaming get too good for mindless fun? Was there a meeting I missed? I am sick of this "every game has to be a work of art" mentality.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Why does every single game need to be so fucking serious? Honestly, I'm not even interested in the game, but the line "it sets gaming back" annoys so much. Really, is Duke Nukem, a fucking satire, going to do any more damage to gamings image than the "ultra-realistic" war games coming out right now?

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Personally i think if you don't like something you should just leave it alone.

"one mans trash is another mans treasure"

just sayin'

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
ThatDaveDude1 said:
We know that Duke Nukem isn't deserving of any praise.
Well... maybe he deserves a little bit of praise, for singlehandedly saving the Earth from an alien invasion and all that jazz.

Duke's over-the-topness really is an extension of that. No-one bats an eye when one of the Blazkowicz or Gordon Freeman saves the world. With Duke Nukem they draw attention to the ridiculousness of it by giving him an over-the-top personality that clashes so completely with what we usually see in heroes.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who
No, you are not. In fact, you are never the only one.

And its entire purpose is to be a satirically over-the-top game, which is a nice change of pace from the samey-shooter games being spewed out now.
What? No! The gaming world is not filled with enough realistic shooters that make us fight Russians or middle easterns, and save the world or cause WW3 all over again. Oh wait...

I agree with L3m0n. There need to be more games focusing on entertainment and sheer awesome stuff you can't do in reality, not simulating the same war scenario through the next red-shirts eyes.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
its a stupid game when it first came out (and ripped off god knows how many excellent B movies) and this one will just be pure stupid and will push back the medias view of video games back 10 years.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
JediMB said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
We know that Duke Nukem isn't deserving of any praise.
Well... maybe he deserves a little bit of praise, for singlehandedly saving the Earth from an alien invasion and all that jazz.

Duke's over-the-topness really is an extension of that. No-one bats an eye when one of the Blazkowicz or Gordon Freeman saves the world. With Duke Nukem they draw attention to the ridiculousness of it by giving him an over-the-top personality that clashes so completely with what we usually see in heroes.
gordon freeman does that with only a crowbar and dorky glasses

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
If it helps even slightly in a turn away from gritty shooters I will welcome it happily.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Games can be art, but art doesn't have to take itself seriously. A lot of people who will hate gaming and gamers due to Duke Nukem will hate both of these things anyway because of preconceived opinions.

If there's a line where people will hate us just for Duke Nukem, it's usually people who are too lazy to learn about what gaming is properly. They have no influence for or against gaming anyway, they're the silent conservatives that we're all glad are quiet outside their own homes while society marches on.

As for hype, it's part of marketing. It's not going anywhere, so there's nothing to be done about it, even if it is distasteful at times if you despise a games company or a specific franchise (if you do, that's your trip).

To be fair, hype CAN improve your actual enjoyment of a game if it manages to meet your expectations (because you go in going "WOOHOO" instead of "meh I'll give this a try"), even though this is a little bit rare as events go these days.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who is not excited for this game what so ever? If anything, This game is more of a step back than forward. (IMO) It's just feeding the stereotype of what most people think a gamer is. I get that it's supposed to be a joke, but, I'm not laughing. I'm wondering why games like this are even being made.
As long as there is one person laughing in the world, then the joke was worth telling. To that single person, it's the funniest fucking thing in the universe, because nobody else is laughing.

MiketheBassMan

Jan 21, 2009
I cringed when I saw "Duke Nuke 'Em" in the title. A travesty to Duke, imo.

You probably aren't excited because you don't have the backstory. If you had grown up playing Duke, Duke2, and Duke3D, you would get it.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Inkidu said:
Inchronica said:
Yeah, the sad part is Pitchford is really taking Duke seriously, and the game itself seems to be taking itself seriously.

The Duke kind of came out when I was growing up, but I never got into it. Because I wasn't a rebellious kind of kid, and two I didn't buy M-rated games just because. The Nuke fandom kind of passed me by.

I fail to see his relevance in modern gaming, but I won't deny fans their thirteen-year wait. Nostalgia is the biggest thing going for DNF.
This is what gets me most of all about DNF. The fact it is being claimed as this clever pastiche of the modern day machoism of male leads in shooters, as if they are delivering this bitingly clever satire on modern gaming. No, you've just taken a character from the 90s and transplanted him into the year 2011 and by some happy coincidence he suddenly seems all "new" and "fresh".

What other game could you do that with. Oh, maybe in an other 15 years or so a new version of Brink could be released and everyone will be amazed that, in a time where so many games feature both female and male characters, a game has actually been released that only features males! How clever! You could always imagine it's 2011!

Whatever, I hope all those people that are buying it get their worth out of it. I'll pass on this one myself.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, you're in luck, because the game is coming out in two weeks and then the hype will stop!

Since most games coming out nowadays are exactly as deep as Duke Nukem except without the self awarenss, I've learnt to ignore hype. Learn it, and you shall become more powerful you can possibly imagine.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
ok, to answer why games like this are made, it's because people buy them.

and as for why I am excited is becuase the release of Duke Nukem is more of a triumph than anything else. with all the games that nintendo is bringing back, and all the movies and TV shows that are getting reboots, it only seems appropriate that Duke should come back.

sure, it's crude. sure, it's loud and obnoxious to most. but i'll still be at gamestop on opening day to pick up my "Balls Of Steel" edition no matter what

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I'm excited for the Serious Sam 3 that supposed to be coming out! :D Not so much for Duke Nukem tho.