Sick of the Duke Nuke 'Em hype

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Because hype is fun? No really, it's an amusing concept. A game satirizing itself from a decade ago? A history of delays over a 12 year life span? It's not like a gritty, carbon copy of previous games that has no reason to be hyped, it has an amusing reason to be hyped and it's doing it very well exploiting it.

Doesn't mean it won't burn out after launch, but for now don't let it get to you. The hype's amusing, and if you don't feel like taking part in enjoying it then just don't bother.

Nfritzappa

Apr 1, 2010
You all obviously are too young to have lived playing Duke in your childhoods haha. No shame here, I love duke and always have. Anyone whoever doesn't just doesn't "get it" and its as simple as that.

Also, complaining about hype for a game that took 14 years to make is like complaining about a friend who is too excited for getting his first car.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who is not excited for this game what so ever? If anything, This game is more of a step back than forward. (IMO) It's just feeding the stereotype of what most people think a gamer is. I get that it's supposed to be a joke, but, I'm not laughing. I'm wondering why games like this are even being made.
Ignore it? I'm not interested in the game, and the hype isn't bothering me. Avoid the news posts and threads on it and you can pretend it doesn't exist. Problem solved.

KorsInThaRoof

Mar 29, 2011
Obviously you do care, since you raise it as an issue...

Besides was there ever a hype? The only thing I've seen so far that might have been called a hype is the marketing by the publishers themselves.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
How many of these goddamn threads are we going to have before people learn that the reason people are excited about it is because it looks fun?

I've counted three recently, and in one of them someone directly said that it was "undoing years of work put in by gaming companies" or something to that effect.

Seriously. I don't care if it'll give the media a bad view of gamers. Why? Because outlets like Fox have been doing it for years over totally pointless shit like the (quite tame) sex scenes in Mass Effect. This isn't going to do anything at all to make the public view gamers worse - or at least worse than they do now.

Sure, it's not going to make them understand the intricacies of creating a well-written and engaging narrative within a game, but at least we get to punch the heads off of aliens for the heck of it for once rather than enduring another super-serious military shooter with vague moral overtones about the human race or something.

Not just that, but we've been waiting for it for the past fourteen fucking years. We have a damn good reason to be getting excited.

(P.S - Duke's surname is all one word - "Nukem", not "Nuke 'Em". It's a satirical pun.)

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I love how everyone says it is a step backwards. Makes me wonder if they were even playing games back when Duke Nukem was around. Yes, it is a step backwards, back to when games were fun. They were games, not serious like your Call of Duty or Halo, not a boring book like your BioWare games, just mindless, senseless fun (which this seems to be the second time to day people have said that is a bad thing). I'd take this over the "new style" of games any day.

Plus, the hype for Skyrim is 10x worse. Every time I see a game that remotely mentions something a future releases (GOTY '11 for example), it is all spammed with people saying "skyrim!!!11".

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
2fish said:
DMF is not on my list of games but I don't get sick of the ads as I just ignore them.

Onyx Oblivion said:
If this sets gaming backwards...why don't people ***** about Saint's Row setting gaming backwards?

BRING ON THE BACKWARDS.

If this is ruining gaming, let's burn gaming to the ground, then. I want more stuff like it.
Because Saints Row the Third will probably let me play the same way a played in 2. A man with a green mohawk, wearing only womens underwear, combat boots and a ton of tattoos and piercings. A very open game since it allows all lifestyles not just straight males.

BAM! Overdone argument ended in a nice pile o' BS

While I do tend to agree with (on this but especially on oblivion stuff) I had to have me a Saints Row argument.
I played as a fat, bald woman with a man's voice. It almost made my friend throw up since I was walking around with a bra and nothing else.

OT: I am not one of those who actually think DNF is going to be good, but I will be getting it simply because it marks one of the biggest jokes in gaming coming to an an end. Oh well, we'll always have Half-Life 3.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
If your sick of the hype don't listen to it, the information you ingest is up to you in the end. Even if you can't avoid people around you talking about it, you can just choose to not have it affect or concern you in any way.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
It's supposed to bring back the FUN shooters. Out the window with the brown "realistic" right-wing gunwankers that clog up the mainstream.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
When a game has been promised for a decade, a half year long hype period is not only expected, it's probably pretty short.
You don't understand the hype because, most likely, you haven't been waiting for this for a decade. Many have. It's coming out soon, so if you really can't stand it, just wait for a little longer.

lucky_bob45

Sep 4, 2008
im sick of this "the game isnt art so it's damaging the industry" argument. Film is art and yet Transformors and G.I. Joe no only happened, they poured money back in to a starving film industry to help set up the building blocks for studios to begin releasing better films again.

Literature is art and yet Twilight is the biggest thing to happen in books in the last ten years. it is completely without artistic merit (not for lack of trying followed by a swift faceplant) and yet more people are reading books now because of it.

Painting is art and the first painting that comes to peoples minds when you mention a painting is the Mona Lisa, which isnt famous for being particularly good, its only famous because it was stolen. second to this argument, look at the work of Jackson Pollock, the idea that THAT is art is beyond me.

getting back to Duke though, i was a Duke 3d kid. It speaks directly to me because im it's core audience. for those who missed Duke 3d due to age or other variable I'm sorry. seriously.

I'm not going to call Duke satire or parody, but what Duke is, what he reprosents is Big, Dumb fun, and right now that's what i would like. I dont need an over the top war drama/ soap opera for soliers right now. COD, battlefield Halo and killzone have filled me up on this, i dont need an intensive story and thought provoking ideaology right now, thank you Bioshock and friends you met that need for me. what i want, no need right now is some big, dumb fun topped off by so bad they're good one liners and huge explosions.

Robert2812

Jul 28, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
Because people like having fun. Crazy, right?

If you're not excited for it, then ignore it. BAM! Problem solved.
The guy that started the thread is either trolling or stupid.

Go google "Define: Opinion" it'll clear up why people like games like this.

Quantom Quak

The Source of All Evil
Jun 12, 2009
That's the point. You get so sick of the hype, that the only cure is to play the game.
Then when you do, you say f*** yeah! Duke Nuke 'Em!
And then you kill everything with your man arms.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Don't fret about it man, it's just overeager fanboys wetting themselves over a behind-the-times game coming out 10 years too late.

IMO Duke Nukem is going to be average, competent at best, yet we'll still hear the aforementioned fanboys squealing over either how good it is, or how it was gonna be good, then was fucked up by the current dev.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
lucky_bob45 said:
im sick of this "the game isnt art so it's damaging the industry" argument. Film is art and yet Transformors and G.I. Joe no only happened, they poured money back in to a starving film industry to help set up the building blocks for studios to begin releasing better films again.

Literature is art and yet Twilight is the biggest thing to happen in books in the last ten years. it is completely without artistic merit (not for lack of trying followed by a swift faceplant) and yet more people are reading books now because of it.

Painting is art and the first painting that comes to peoples minds when you mention a painting is the Mona Lisa, which isnt famous for being particularly good, its only famous because it was stolen. second to this argument, look at the work of Jackson Pollock, the idea that THAT is art is beyond me.

getting back to Duke though, i was a Duke 3d kid. It speaks directly to me because im it's core audience. for those who missed Duke 3d due to age or other variable I'm sorry. seriously.

I'm not going to call Duke satire or parody, but what Duke is, what he reprosents is Big, Dumb fun, and right now that's what i would like. I dont need an over the top war drama/ soap opera for soliers right now. COD, battlefield Halo and killzone have filled me up on this, i dont need an intensive story and thought provoking ideaology right now, thank you Bioshock and friends you met that need for me. what i want, no need right now is some big, dumb fun topped off by so bad they're good one liners and huge explosions.
These people like to think that the success of non-artistic games motivates people to stop making artistic games. I'm not in the mood to write a book about why that is total bullshit, but I could.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Because the industry has had it's fill of serious storylines and "restrained" gameplay. Is it so wrong to want to play a really unserious cathartic game that lets me kill everything I see?

The way I see it, it's a good thing that we're getting a revival of the old-fashioned FPS games. Yes, there are really good games that take themselves seriously enough and have depth and story that makes me cry. But just because it speaks to me, doesn't mean that it's the only thing that speaks to me. My favorite shooter of all time is Painkiller, and that game was just picking up a gun and killing everything that moved. It was fun in the same way that seeing an explosion is cool. Destruction and mayhem appeals to people.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
captaincabbage said:
IMO Duke Nukem is going to be average, competent at best
That is not an opinion. That is bias, or at best a wild guess.

...Just so you know.