Sick of the Duke Nuke 'Em hype

Servantes

Jul 12, 2010
personally I hear more complaining its coming out then "Hype".

But wait....I'm complaining about you complaining so would that be hype in a negative manner? or perhaps I am just hyping the negativity thus giving the game hype and in a wayomdwaodonaw....l.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ok, cool. You're not excited for a popular game. Join the club. I, however, am. You don't have to buy the game. The reason why these games are still being made? Because people like me and a lot of other people actually like a game with a sense of humor that's just silly fun.

In fact, I hope more games come out like this. I like my serious LA Noire and Heavy Rain games as well, but sometimes I just like blowing aliens away with a weapons that are probably heavier than any human being could carry while running a hundred miles per hour.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Im Excited, mainly because i have played alot of the previous games, back with the side scrollers, oh what fun! but i am also excited, because i have already put my money into the game by preordering it as soon as i found it online. If im not excited, i just wasted $150 or something for the collectors edition

Apr 24, 2008
No...

Must we be pretentious about gaming now? Is this the work of Extra Credits?

I can take or leave internet hype, it's as simple as ignoring what you don't want to see...which is what you do on a daily basis anyway.

It's only the "it sets gaming back" talk that makes me roll my eyes. The notion that one game nullifies the rest is absurd.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I wasn't able to play any FPS Duke game before (though I played the platformers) since they gave me motion sickness back in the day (all FPS games, not just Duke's). Looking foreward to this one, don't have any problem with the hype. It's not like there's any 'watch this commercial for Duke Nukem before continuing' stuff like I've seen on Game FAQs for other games.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
mjc0961 said:
EternalFacepalm said:
Because games, like any medium, should try to appeal to as many as possible. We have movies like this, we have books like this, why not games?
I'm not looking forward to it, but I can see why some are.
This. A million times this. I'm so sick of those snooty people who think we need more stuff like Heavy Rain and LA Noire and should get rid of anything else that isn't like them. Heavy Rain and LA Noire are fine games, but if that's all we had to play, gaming would suck. There's a reason why there's all different kinds of movies, all different kinds of books, and all different kinds of TV Shows. The real step backwards for games would be getting rid of stuff like Duke Nukem Forever or Saints Row and whatever else because they aren't artsy-fartsy "Look what we can put in games now mom!" titles.

I mean really. Nobody's saying we should get rid of movies like Die Hard or anything like that. So wake up and realize that if you really want games to be as important a medium as any other out there, you need the diversity. Yes, douchebags out there now say games are teh evilz, but getting rid of certain kinds of games isn't going to fix that problem. Ignoring them and waiting for people who grew up playing games to be more out there in the world is what will fix it, just like for any other previously oppressed medium. So get off my nuts and let me play some Saints Row 2 if I want to. Yippie-kai-yay mother fucker!
I am quite possibly one of the most demandingly pretentious gamers out there.
And I thought Heavy Rain and LA Noire were boring pieces of slosh.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
We get it, Duke is now a mediocre CoD styled shooter and everyone who never liked him in the first place is sick of hearing about the sellout.

Can I get my life back now please? Right after I rub it into some ex-friends faces that Duke is a CoD with bad humor.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Well sorry but...deal with it.

People have been waiting for this game for a long time, let them be happy.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
ThatDaveDude1 said:
Inkidu said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
Inkidu said:
Inchronica said:
Am I the only one who is not excited for this game what so ever? If anything, This game is more of a step back than forward. (IMO) It's just feeding the stereotype of what most people think a gamer is. I get that it's supposed to be a joke, but, I'm not laughing. I'm wondering why games like this are even being made.
Yeah, the sad part is Pitchford is really taking Duke seriously, and the game itself seems to be taking itself seriously.
..........not sure if trolling..........
Look up this week's Jimquisition. He quotes Pitchford. Anyway, if you have to wonder then it's not. Also your flagrant disregard for the noble period irks me.
Well if Jim Sterling interprets the quote like that, then it must mean what he says it does.
/Sarcasm

I've seen this week's Jimquisition, and I know what quote you're talking about. I also know how astoundingly, unbelievably wrong Jim was on almost every single point that he made, including this quote.

Randy Pitchford does not take Duke Nukem serious, and Jim Sterling is a fucking idiot for suggesting that he did.

Duke Nukem is a character so over-the-top and unbelievable, that nobody in their right mind possibly could take him seriously, let alone is intended to. Jim Sterling complains about the lack of irony present in Duke being treated like a hero deserving of all of his praise. That is the Irony. When Randy Pitchford says that Duke is "to be admired, not laughed at," he doesn't mean admired by us, he means admired in the game. The character of Duke Nukem is played straight as a National Hero, deserving of praise. We in the real world are in on the joke. We know that Duke Nukem is an idiot, who absolutely should be laughed at. We know that Duke Nukem isn't deserving of any praise. That's the irony Jim Sterling can't see.

Nobody, and I repeat nobody, least of all Randy Pitchford takes Duke seriously, because they're not supposed to. He's a character designed to be laughed at and ridiculed. Ridiculed by us.

This ended up being longer than I would have liked...Sorry for the wall of text.
Yes it's the opinion of an irate British man, but the only way to support opinions is with other opinions, and I don't have my own soapbox. His is just convenient.

Though if it's one thing I've learned about people it's that even in their right mind they:

Could take him seriously.
They would admire him in a real-life sense.
And they will miss the irony.

A lot of people are like that. The only thing I can hope for is that it'll fall off the public radar fast, but the internet tends to prove me wrong on that a lot.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
No, I'm not either. Mostly cause I hate the character of Duke Nukem with a passion. I get it's a parody but... when you parody something you should try to have a point. Duke's parody of immature manliness has no point, it's just a stupid misogynistic dumbfuck stumbling through alien retards muttering retarded puns.

Show me the appeal in that and I'll gladly remove and eat my own testicles.

Plus from what I hear of the demo this 'epic gaming Heaven' people have waited for for a decade has taken a predictably Treyarchian turn.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't like Call of Duty-esque "realistic" shooters either. I just... don't like Duke Nukem either. It's just so tasteless and blatant in it's "look, we're a comedic parody! laugh at our objectification of women! please laugh!" way of going about it.

You know what desperately needs a modern-gen title? Serious Sam! Now THAT is where it's at! Fun, batshit insane gameplay, unrealistic to ridiculous degrees, simple, and doesn't need to be crass or retarded to get ahead.

Seriously, Serious Sam needs to be brought back.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
It's hard to not have hype for a game people have been expecting for so long. They've really set themselves up for failure on this one. I waited for so long for this game yet it's only an 8/10 omg!!!!

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
No, I'm not either. Mostly cause I hate the character of Duke Nukem with a passion. I get it's a parody but... when you parody something you should try to have a point. Duke's parody of immature manliness has no point, it's just a stupid misogynistic dumbfuck stumbling through alien retards muttering retarded puns.

Plus from what I hear of the demo this 'epic gaming Heaven' people have waited for for a decade has taken a predictably Treyarchian turn.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't like Call of Duty-esque "realistic" shooters either. I just... don't like Duke Nukem either. It's just so tasteless and blatant in it's "look, we're a comedic parody! laugh at our objectification of women! please laugh!" way of going about it.

You know what desperately needs a modern-gen title? Serious Sam! Now THAT is where it's at! Fun, batshit insane gameplay, unrealistic to ridiculous degrees, simple, and doesn't need to be crass or retarded to get ahead.

Yeah Serious Sam rocks, Im playing the HD versions atm, its so damn fun, its an PC FPS game at its best, rather then the post Half Life slower tactical FPS games. Which have gotten even worse now the healthbar regenerates and everyone hides behind cover.

If the new Duke game (plus the upcomming Serious Sam 3) are anything like the classics then ill be all over it, sexism and all.

Folk can be snobbish and moan about gaming going backwards. So what if it is, just because somethings new doesnt automatically mean its an improvement.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
TrevHead said:
ReservoirAngel said:

Yeah Serious Sam rocks, Im playing the HD versions atm, its so damn fun, its an PC FPS game at its best, rather then the post Half Life slower tactical FPS games. Which have gotten even worse now the healthbar regenerates and everyone hides behind cover.

If the new Duke game (plus the upcomming Serious Sam 3) are anything like the classics then ill be all over it, sexism and all.

Folk can be snobbish and moan about gaming going backwards. So what if it is, just because somethings new doesnt automatically mean its an improvement.
This is all I saw at first. Now don't fuck with me man... is that for real? Is there a new Serious Sam? Is there!?

But yeah, on the more reserved side, you're right. Regenerating health and cover-based shooting, while obvious logical choices, have rendered most FPS games as glorified whack-a-mole games. Waiting behind your box until the enemy appears from their box so you can take a shot before the enemy ducks back into their box so you have to duck back into yours.

What ever happened to the good old days of charging in head first carrying a ballistics-based death machine and just testing the game to throw whatever it can at you? Back to Serious Sam again, those games did it amazingly. You just leg it in and take on whatever zoologist's nightmare the game decides to throw at you. You're like a guy sitting in a dunk tank taunting the ball-thrower.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
Is there really an upcomming SS3?
Im not shitting you Serious Sam 3: BFE (Before First Encounter?) is in production, a trailer was only released yesterday
http://www.destructoid.com/serious-sam-3-bfe-gets-eye-popping-debut-trailer-202678.phtml

IIRC if set before SS1 in the modern world. Thats why the makers released First & Second encounters remade into HD. They use the SS3 graphics engine. If you havnt got the HD games buy em on steam, they are on sale very regulary. SS1 SE is where everybody is online playing co-op BTW.

Going back to descussing the gameplay of SS1, Ild say that while some gamers (usually those trying to play with a control pad) dont like the oldschool Quake 2 mechanics. But imo theres still allot of love for these type of shooters.

Ild say that anybody who loves playing fast paced online FPS' like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and maybe COD and Halo would probably love playing SS1, Quake 2 and Painkiller. Due to the fact that the games have the same fast pacing where skill matters.

Some ppl call SS1 just a mindless shooter, but for anyone who isnt abusing quicksave or playing on easy, will find to just stay alive requires skill and just as much brains as tactical FPS games, even more. A week playing SS1 is like going to FPS boot camp, and raises the skill level of those who play it.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
Sapient Pearwood said:
immovablemover said:
Pro tip time! "Omg why are people excited about this game? it looks so sux" threads are just as insipid and annoying as "Omg how can you not be excited about this game? It looks so fun times!" threads. You are not different, you are the other side of the same whiny coin.
Sadly a lot of threads seem to be like this, especially anti-CoD, anti-Halo and pro-Skyrim.
exactly, and theres not a single person in the world that likes every game to ever exist. So we all have a 'Am I the only one' thread in our minds, if we all posted our own, the escapist forums would drown in them

KanHanderan

Jun 2, 2011
Yesterday, every ZP video had to have the DNF border. Please marketers, if you're trying to release a subpar game to a "core audience," then don't be some dang ham-handed about it.