Silence: The Whispered World 2 Coming Next Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Silence: The Whispered World 2 Coming Next Year

Daedalic Entertainment is working on a sequel to the 2009 adventure The Whispered World.

The Whispered World is one of Daedalic's lesser-known titles, mainly because it's relatively old, coming to English-speaking audiences as it did on the leading edge of the New Wave of German Heavy Adventures in early 2010. Even so, it's reasonably well-regarded, although as is often the case with Daedalic games it took hits for sub-par voice acting and puzzle design, and now that the studio has established itself as an adventure game heavyweight, it's resurrecting the title for a sequel.

This is admittedly not the cheeriest teaser you've likely ever seen and the connection to the original game isn't at all clear, but it appears that Silence: The Whispered World 2 will be a thematic sequel rather than a direct follow-up. The game will follow a teenager named Noah, who lost his little sister in the real world and hopes to find her again in the fantasy realm of Silence. Daedalic says The Whispered World 2 will be "emotionally investing yet humorous," and will see the return of characters from the original as well as many new features and all-new 3D visuals.

[gallery=1952]

The Whispered World GOG [http://www.the-whispered-world.com/].

Lurklen

Feb 2, 2010
Kinda intense. I wonder if the events in the teaser are a good display of decisions or events that take place in the game. Leaving those other kids behind and not opening that door are pretty tough choices to make.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I suspect the latter. Seems pretty obviously the sort of horror that would almost demand an escape into a fantasy world. I'm a little concerned about the move to a 3D engine, I'm really a fan of the hand-painted 2D graphics that Daedalic has built its rep on to this point, but overall very optimistic.

mruuh

Jun 29, 2012
I liked the first game. The voice acting complaints were mostly for the voice of main character, which was admittedly a bit weird. I got used to it, though, and even started to like it later in the game. Most puzzles were okay, some were illogical - but that happened in every adventure game I ever played. What I felt was underused was shapeshifting of your pet companion and its use in puzzles - that was quite original, and I enjoyed the few puzzles which used the mechanic.

What I remember most about the game was the humour, be it in dialogs or in the lines your character uses to describe and comment on the world around it (looking at things, interacting with things). I enjoyed it a lot, it reminded me of old Simon the Sorcerer game, crossed with Terry Pratchett.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I quite liked the oldschool feel to the game.

Blarg Blargson

Dec 7, 2008
Sseth said:
Was the original any good? I was hesitant to buy it as I read a lot of reviews on gog.com that complain about inane, nonsensical puzzles and god awful voice acting in the English version.
I liked it. It was the first Daedalic game I ever played, actually, and it was good enough to motivate me to try others. The puzzles were a little odd at times, but I can only think of a few that were really odd (why would you try to catch a fly with chopsticks?). I actually thought the voice acting was pretty good on the whole, although much of it was... strange. Sadwick in particular has a very distinct voice with a slight lisp (there's a reason for that).

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Sseth said:
Was the original any good? I was hesitant to buy it as I read a lot of reviews on gog.com that complain about inane, nonsensical puzzles and god awful voice acting in the English version.
I didn't really think it was that good to be honest. I loved the hand-drawn locations and characters, and the puzzles are pretty decent. I wouldn't say they are any more, or less, nonsensical than the usual fantasy point 'n' click of yore either. The shape shifting pet element was fairly neat too. What really made the game a huge disappointment for me was the awful writing of the main character. He's quite possibly the most boring, whiny, humourless character I've ever played. He never really grows as a character either, instead he just makes the whole game drag. It's a shame as it is full of other funny, interesting characters, but when you're stuck on a puzzle for a while and the kid is moaning (and not even in an ironic or witty way) or complaining about how he's such a failure for the millionth time, it just doesn't make you want to carry on.
Not to mention the voice, which sounds like a 60 year old man trying to sound like a kid.

The game's ending, which is pretty decent and comes completely out of left field, does do the character a little justice and smacks a little bit of empathy in your face, but it's still a fairly boring slog to put up with him up to that point.

mruuh said:
it reminded me of old Simon the Sorcerer game, crossed with Terry Pratchett
So, the first two Discworld games then? :p

OT: Not sure how I feel about this one. It does look pretty, but I still prefer the hand-drawn style of the first. I'm quite surprised that it's a sequel. The first got a fair amount of bad reviews and average scores, with a move to a 3D engine and new protagonists I feel this game would probably stand better on it's own. I'm glad that's there's still a company about with point and click adventures at their heart, but Daedalic always seem to fall short for me.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Whelp. Someone has to say it.

http://rack.2.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzAzLzMwLzg4L1NpbGVuY2UuMTdjMDUuZ2lmCnAJdGh1bWIJMTIwMHg5NjAwPg/1d32c8a5/152/Silence.gif

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Objectable said:

http://rack.2.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzAzLzMwLzg4L1NpbGVuY2UuMTdjMDUuZ2lmCnAJdGh1bWIJMTIwMHg5NjAwPg/1d32c8a5/152/Silence.gif
...What?

A brief explanation could come in handy here.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
[REDACTED said:
]
Objectable said:

...What?

A brief explanation could come in handy here.

Doctor Who reference.
<youtube=rcA9TnypMzQ>
KNown for being said about every five minutes in the past season.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Objectable said:
Doctor Who reference.
<youtube=rcA9TnypMzQ>
KNown for being said about every five minutes in the past season.
Ah, thanks. Philistine that I am, I've never watched Doctor Who, so everything about that original post was a non-sequitur to me.