Silent Hill 2 Film "Stalled" Over Director's Legal Woes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Silent Hill 2 Film "Stalled" Over Director's Legal Woes

Work on the Silent Hill 2 [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938330/] film has "stalled," according to producer Don Carmody, because of screenwriter and director Roger Avary's 2009 conviction and prison sentence for vehicular manslaughter.

Released in 2006, the first Silent Hill [http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-Blu-ray-Radha-Mitchell/dp/B000GCFO0S/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1281639823&sr=1-2] film apparently did well enough to earn a sequel but things got muddled when Roger Avary, who wrote the script for the first film and was set to write and direct the follow-up, was arrested for DUI and vehicular manslaughter following a car crash in which one of his passengers was killed. He pleaded guilty in August 2009 and was given a one-year sentence, leaving the Silent Hill 2 project dangling in the process.

"[Silent Hill 2 is] a little stalled now because of [writer/director] Roger Avary's [legal problems], so a little unsure yet," Carmody told Fangoria [http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1690:resident-evil-conversations-from-the-afterlife-part-six-don-carmody-producer&catid=36:demo-articles&Itemid=56]. "The original plan was Roger writing and polishing the screenplay, and when he had finished his thing, we'd begin full-blown pre-production. I'm not sure what's going on with that. We know we want to make Silent Hill 2 and have a basic outline for it. We'll have to see."

Avary was originally sentenced to one year of work furlough, which would have allowed him to work on the film during the day while reporting to a facility for incarceration on nights and weekends, plus five years probation, but was taken into full-time custody after he was discovered tweeting [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/11/screenwriter-is-moved-from-work-furlough-program-to-jail-after-twittering-episode.html] about life in the slam.

via: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/silent-hill-2-film-has-stalled-screenplay-not-finished/]

snow

Jan 14, 2010
That really sucks! The girlfriend and I really liked the first one...

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
*Monotone* Oh no. Not Silent Hill 2. Whatever will we do? */Monotone*

I have no love for the first movie so that doesn't bother me. Still the situation itself is interesting. I never heard of a movie getting stalled because someone got arrested.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
...but was taken into full-time custody after he was discovered tweeting about life in the slam.
Wise move, after you've killed someone in your car accident.

OT: Who cares, the first film was an alright watch, but I didn't think it was worth a sequel. there are much better horror films out there.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This isn't much of a tragedy as far as I'm concerned.

I LOVE Silent Hill and actually really enjoyed the first film. The atmosphere and visuals were spot on as well the monster designs and they even used some of the music from the original game. The only problem was the batshit crazy storyline (Even more bonkers than the original game) which in certain respects, kind of missed the whole point of Silent Hill.

The script was written by this Avery fellow and I'd be quite happy if they ditched him and found someone else. ESPECIALLY if this is going to be some form of adaptation of SH2, otherwise they'll be finding themselves waist deep in fanboy rage!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I'm disgusted that he only got 12 months for killing someone while drink driving. The guy is scum.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
I thought the first film was enjoyable but lacking psychological subtext. And since Silent Hill is all about psychological subtext, it was still disappointing. Oh sure it's one of the "better" game adaptations, but considering the competition, that isn't saying much. So yeah, don't really care.

Also to those of you who are wondering, the SH2 movie is APPARENTLY supposed to be based on the SH3 game, which is the continuation of SH1. Which is kinda gladdening for me because I don't want the same guys that made the mediocre first movie, to make a mediocre movie for Silent Hill 2 which had one of the greatest stories out of any game in the industry. I'd rather wait for a director with talent and at least a love of the games to go and adapt it.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I think the first movie is awesome, but then again, I haven't played silent hill.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I tend to agree that "Silent Hill" was a pretty mediocre movie overall, but that makes it a truely amazing video game movie, and it while it didn't play entirely to what the fans would have wanted, it did show potential. It would be interesting to see what could be done with a second one and what was learned from the first. This is one of the few movies you can pull out in response to the "all video game movies are bad" arguements because while not great, it was not "bad" by any objective standards. My biggest complaints were not keeping to the lore as much as they should have (for fear of offending people... which annoys me since it's a horror movie), pulling out Pyramid Head when he shouldn't have been there, and the truely epic scene where a lady cop is dumb enough to tell the insane cultists who she has bluffed with her gun that she is out of bullets for no good reason I could fathom.

That said, I don't know the details of this guy's car accident well enough for me to judge whether or not he should be in jail to begin with. I am one of those who does not feel that just because someone dies, someone else has to go to jail. Accidents are accidents for a reason, a lot of it comes down to the specific details of what occured. I could be wrong but I don't think he was drunk or anything.

As far as the tweets go, I understand the reasons for limiting inmate communication, but this guy is also supposed to be doing his time as part of a work program, not as an inmate. What's more there are a lot of laws out there that exist specifically to prevent inmates from being "blacked out" entirely so mistreatment can take place, albiet thier communication is typically limited in whom they can contact... but still the guy wasn't an inmate.

Irregardless of whether he violated policies or not, I think there should be some investigation into the conditions he was reporting on from outside that specific prison system. It might already be happening, but it does seem like his allegations were fairly serious from checking the link. Not so much being searched by a fat guy, but he did mention a heroin smuggling operation.

Of course then again if he's actually lying about things like a heroin smuggling operation to cause trouble for the system, well that's something else entirely. Still I don't see any mention of these things being investigated which gives me some cause for concern.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Hopefully it won't be made. I don't want Silent Hill 2, my favorite game, to be ruined by a movie. Of course, if it's based on SH3, better. Still not okay, and it better have valtiel.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That sucks...especilly for something like that...Well, I do hope it will move forward evebntually. be a shame if it got totally shelved

gristledemon

Jul 4, 2010
bjj hero said:
I'm disgusted that he only got 12 months for killing someone while drink driving. The guy is scum.
i do not know all the details but that seems a little harsh. people drive drunk all the time, it is fucked up and selfish but the person he killed was IN his car. therefor it was their choice to drive with him. it is still a crime and a horrible waste of life but calling him "scum" is uncalled for.
again i dont know all the details this topic is the first i have heard of it.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
This isn't much of a tragedy as far as I'm concerned.

I LOVE Silent Hill and actually really enjoyed the first film. The atmosphere and visuals were spot on as well the monster designs and they even used some of the music from the original game. The only problem was the batshit crazy storyline (Even more bonkers than the original game) which in certain respects, kind of missed the whole point of Silent Hill.

The script was written by this Avery fellow and I'd be quite happy if they ditched him and found someone else. ESPECIALLY if this is going to be some form of adaptation of SH2, otherwise they'll be finding themselves waist deep in fanboy rage!
The storyline wasn't what I thought was the problem in the first film. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first film, and I love the idea of a sequel, but the problem was just down to the scares. The film didn't have the same feel of suspense and creepiness that the games have, where you're chilled right to the bone and feel;ing paranoid about everything all the time. I've seen crazier storylines, even the game storylines for Silent Hill make the film seem fairly okay as a plotline, but it just wasn't creepy enough. I'm glad they didn't resort to the whole 'jump' scares tactic so many other horror films do, but they could have made it much creepier.

As far as this goes, I've not heard of this Avery fellow before aside from the first Silent Hill (if he's done other big budget work then please inform me, as I'll freely admit to being an ignorant fool here about screenwriters in general), so the news that he isn't working on the next film doesn't really affect me. As long as the script is good, and the film is at least equal to (ideally greater than) the first one, I'll be happy. I'll watch it either way, regardless of who actually wrote it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
gristledemon said:
i do not know all the details but that seems a little harsh. people drive drunk all the time, it is fucked up and selfish but the person he killed was IN his car. therefor it was their choice to drive with him. it is still a crime and a horrible waste of life but calling him "scum" is uncalled for.
Chance decided it was the passenger that was killed and not a pedestrian, or another driver, or someone elses passenger. He risked a number of peoples lives because he wanted a beer and was too selfish not to drive. People talk about how paedophiles are scum, drunk drivers are no better. Yes abuse is terrible, is it any better if you run over a child and leave them disabled, braindamaged, scared to leave the house?

How about if you rob them of their parents? Or leave them with disabled parents that they will then have to care for for the rest of their life. That is robbing someone of innocence and of their childhood. I don't know if the victim had any family but he risked everyone else when he started his car. "People do it all the time" doesn't make it right and the number of people drink driving has dropped sharply in the last few decades, at least in England.

I feel that scum is justified.

gristledemon

Jul 4, 2010
bjj hero said:
gristledemon said:
Chance decided it was the passenger that was killed and not a pedestrian, or another driver, or someone elses passenger. He risked a number of peoples lives because he wanted a beer and was too selfish not to drive. People talk about how paedophiles are scum, drunk drivers are no better. Yes abuse is terrible, is it any better if you run over a child and leave them disabled, braindamaged, scared to leave the house?

How about if you rob them of their parents? Or leave them with disabled parents that they will then have to care for for the rest of their life. That is robbing someone of innocence and of their childhood. I don't know if the victim had any family but he risked everyone else when he started his car. "People do it all the time" doesn't make it right and the number of people drink driving has dropped sharply in the last few decades, at least in England.

I feel that scum is justified.
comparing drunk drivers to pedophiles? wow really? ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahha wow.
personally? yes it is better to run them over them molest them. I have had both happen to me and being hit by a car is much more enjoyable.
"england"? good for england you guys dont really hve that many cars so it would take a close study of cars to drunk driving incidents to really say whats the deal there. jsut saying there are less really means nothing.\
you got alot of "what ifs" in your statement.
i am not trying to say drunk driving is ok, in fact i hate it as it has taken a number of people from me. but I'm kinda the devil's advocate kinda guy.

mr. Avary commited a crime by driving drunk, the victim knew the risks of driving with a drunk.
it does not make it any less of a crime but I dont feel it defines mr Avary, who i have never met and care nothing for.
thats all
rock on

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
BOO.

I mean, unless the sequel was going to be a movie adaptation of Silent Hill 2, in which case it would probably not be good enough for the source material. (Although you never know.)

But still. BOO. I enjoyed the Silent Hill movie in a cheesy, "Hahaha, WOW, that was cool" way. I'm a huge fan of the series and it didn't bother me that this one didn't stick completely to the established material; the acting was decent, the effects were very neat, and some of the scenes were creepy and shocking. In fact, if not for the stupid, stupid, STUPID ending, I would have probably given it a solid 7.5.