Silent Hill 2 Remake

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
In my restless dream, I see that town. Silent Hill.

1724075871112.jpeg

New hands-on previews are out with good feedback. We all know full well the ups and downs of this series, especially after Team Silent hung it up. Let’s hope Bloober Team has a big hit on their hands.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Maybe we get the horror remake triple crown (with this following up Dead Space and Resident Evil 4), but with Konami's and Bloober Team's reputation, the best I can say is "Expect the worst, hope for the best."

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
It still looks like it's just the same game, with worse voice acting. I do expect it to be a faithful recreation of the original, mostly, but I don't see why I wouldn't just play the original instead, then, rather than give my money to a publisher that's known for fucking over its creators and a studio of derivative hacks.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
It still looks like it's just the same game, with worse voice acting. I do expect it to be a faithful recreation of the original, mostly, but I don't see why I wouldn't just play the original instead, then, rather than give my money to a publisher that's known for fucking over its creators and a studio of derivative hacks.
That’s completely fine of course, as the original is still as good as it’s always been. But then it may as well apply to all IP’s regardless of how their studios operate. It’s not an IP’s fault that it was around before all kinds of technological advancements. Hard to imagine people not still jumping at the chance to play even PS4 Bloodborne if the Demake came first, basically.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It still looks like it's just the same game, with worse voice acting
I disagree. The voice acting is good. It's not "worse". You're just so used to the original voices from the PS2 and OG XBOX versions of the game. The voice actors are doing good job as far as I'm concerned. Lets not blind ourselves to nostalgia. The originalSH2 has plenty of unintentional awkward, stilted, or bad voice acting moments.

I don't see why I wouldn't just play the original instead, then, rather than give my money to a publisher that's known for fucking over its creators and a studio of derivative hacks.
Fair enough, but most people don't have a PS2, XBOX, or pirated/emulated version of the PC release on-hand. Not to mention, SH2 is crazy expensive, even though the game sold great on both consoles. Especially on PS2.

That’s completely fine of course, as the original is still as good as it’s always been. But then it may as well apply to all IP’s regardless of how their studios operate. It’s not an IP’s fault that it was around before all kinds of technological advancements.
Agreed.

Here's footage with no commentary from VGC.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Fair enough, but most people don't have a PS2, XBOX, or pirated/emulated version of the PC release on-hand. Not to mention, SH2 is crazy expensive, even though the game sold great on both consoles. Especially on PS2.
Unnecessary flex, although to your point I bought everything but Homecoming & downpour when I was a kid. I apparently paid $5 for silent hill 2.

PXL_20240820_171413495~2.jpg

That said Im still buying this day one if the reviews are good. I love silent hill more than politics..well with Konami anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Unnecessary flex, although to your point I bought everything but Homecoming & downpour when I was a kid. I apparently paid $5 for silent hill 2.

View attachment 11722

That said Im still buying this day one if the reviews are good. I love silent hill more than politics..well with Konami anyway.
Awesome!

BTW, you're missing Shattered Memories and Silent Hill Origin (PS2 or PSP).

I am getting the remake, because Bloober are putting effort into it. Besides, Konami came to them, not the other way around. It's like when Bayonetta 2 came to Wii U and as a exclusive. All of sudden these "Platinum/Bayo fans" came out the woodwork and start crying, when most of them didn't buy the game on 360 or PS3. Especially the XBOX fan boys.

Reactions: Piscian

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Awesome!

BTW, you're missing Shattered Memories and Silent Hill Origin (PS2 or PSP).
Yeah, I played Silent Hill Origins which I enjoyed, but I can't find my copy anywhere. I never played shattered memories. I heard it was bad? Maybe just the wii version.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nothing about this new trailer looks embarrassing, so that's a positive, I guess. But I just still have to ask why. Even more so than most other remakes. That scene of Maria in the jailcell is so iconic and perfectly acted and presented in the original, why recreate that line-for-line? The monotone way it's delivered irks me, but hey, maybe within the context it makes more sense, but even beyond that... why? It's just repackaging iconography. It's like recreating HAL's 'I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that' scene line-for-line; what's the fucking point?

You wanna remake Silent Hill 2? Fine, go ahead, you'll fail to get even close to the original's quality, but be my guest. But actually do something different with it to try and make it slightly earn its own existence.

By the way, I can't wait for them to redo the final letter reading from Mary. Have fun utterly failing at recreating that, Bloober.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I heard it was bad? Maybe just the wii version.
The Wii version plays just fine. The motion controls mostly work, but they can be finnicky some of the time. Both the PS2 and Wii version play about the same. Except it's obvious the former does not have motion controls.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
After finally seeing all the footage, it looks like Bloober Team has got this. I appreciate the environmental interaction and new ways to solve puzzles. Using the nailed 2x4 to break open decrepit walls is a new touch, and I do wish they have more of that in different flavors. When I do pick up this game, I am doing it for me. Word mouth has been positive from the gaming press so far; it's good to hear.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah, I played Silent Hill Origins which I enjoyed, but I can't find my copy anywhere. I never played shattered memories. I heard it was bad? Maybe just the wii version.
That’s the only one I haven’t played (well, aside from the mobile/chat crap that was just released earlier this year), but would like to someday. I think a long time ago @BrawlMan said good things about it doing something different with gameplay mechanics that made it stand out somewhat.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I disagree. The voice acting is good. It's not "worse". You're just so used to the original voices from the PS2 and OG XBOX versions of the game. The voice actors are doing good job as far as I'm concerned. Lets not blind ourselves to nostalgia. The originalSH2 has plenty of unintentional awkward, stilted, or bad voice acting moments.
That's probably true. A lot of the voices and line deliveries of the original are absolutely burnt into my brain and I don't think anything will ever replace them. The voice acting and voice direction working as well as it did was one of the greatest "happy accidents" in video game history. Where somehow the fact that it was nonprofessional voice actors being directed by non native english speakers resulted in an awkwardness that added to the forlorn atmosphere.

Trying to replicate that and casting people without voice acting experience again would probably result in a disaster, I'm not saying the new voice cast is bad or anything, they're doing fine.

Which is a damn shame, honestly. The PC port of Silent Hill 2 with the "Enhanced Edition" mod is probably the best possible way to play it now. Would be great if the game got a release on GoG with the improvements of the mod included some day. I think as of right now, the only SH games that are digitally available are 4 and Homecoming.

I actually have a physical copy of SH2 laying around somewhere that I bought for about 50€ a good 10 years ago. Wonder what it'd be worth now.

That’s the only one I haven’t played (well, aside from the mobile/chat crap that was just released earlier this year), but would like to someday. I think a long time ago @BrawlMan said good things about it doing something different with gameplay mechanics that made it stand out somewhat.
Shattered Memories is my favourite Silent Hill game but I know that's an unpopular opinion and and I get why most people don't care for it very much.

It's not really a survival horror game, it's mostly what we'd now call a walking simulator with some chase sequences that are fun enough in the early game but somewhat overstay their welcome in the late game.

But it really shines in writing and atmosphere. It's basically what you get if you put SH1 and SH2 into a blender. The basic outline of the first games story with the melancholy mood and emotional themes of the second one. It's pretty much about grief the way SH2 was about guilt. I really love it. There's a scene that feels like it's right out of a David Lynch movie in the middle and a monologue at the end that is one of the few things in a game that consistently manage to make me tear up a bit.

It's probably not the best game in the series by any objective measure but, by all means, don't sleep on it! God, that's another game I wish got a PC port already. Emulating Wii games is a hassle and the PS2 version has worse graphics.

Last edited: