Silent Hill 2

WJeff

Aug 14, 2009
I know it doesn't constitute laziness, but when you look at a game as massive as Fallout 3 or Oblivion, with all the thousands upon thousands of lines of dialogue, you must admit that doing mocaps for each and every one of them would lengthen development time significantly. It's also very likely that many of the mocaps would be poor quality and just as hard to believe as none at all, and only doing mocaps for essential characters at essential times would give the impression of inconsistency. Though I do agree they could have made the ragdolls move a bit more.

Koujow

Aug 13, 2009
My thought is that comparing the visual styles of two different games is like comparing the paintings of different artist. Silent Hill has a kind of 'tortured soul artist' feel to it, aka - outside the norm. Final Fantasy (I guess Gears of War... but I shudder to include them) have a different kind of style in that they try to just be pretty. And pretty, while some people think it is boring, is no less interesting or beautiful. I once went to a museum and saw a painting of a tiger. My fellow student saw it and said it was boring because the artist didn't experiment. He completely missed the fact that someone had taken colored goo and smeared it around onto a page in such a manner that it looked almost like a photograph of a tiger!

And yes, Pyramid Head is always a fanwank.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Recording motion capture and voicework at the same time would be nice, but in a game with the amount of dialog that Fallout 3 or Oblivion has, it isn't terribly practical. A better solution for them would be to stop bloody zooming directly into their upper torso and having them stare straight at you during every conversation - if they had mixed it up with different camera angles and given the NPCs other animations beyond "perfectly rigid" while talking, it wouldn't matter that the uncanny valley was in effect with the lip-synching and facial animations. It only stands out so much because they aim a giant magnifying glass and a couple big neon signs saying "Look at how unnatural they are!" currently.

Of course you are going to run into problems of this nature whenever you have a silent protagonist, since they can't go with the more cinematic style of cutscenes like Mass Effect's as you are playing a mute who talks only through selecting menu items, and they can't take the approach of Half-Life as the conversation tree dialog system wouldn't make any sense when the other characters move about and interact without waiting for input from you.

The way Bioware has handled cutscenes with mute protagonists and dialog trees in Jade Empire and Kotor I'm recalling as being much less 'uncanny valley-tastic', so Bethsada might want to consider doing something similar in the future.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I don't understand what people expect from Oblivion and Fallout 3. I mean seriously, its not like these dialogues are planned like cutscenes. Creating a world that big and haveing so many character limits some shit. They couldn't create a cutscene for everyone who talks. I guess they could for "boss characters" and maine characters but those were done a little bit better anyways. Martin didn't feel stiff? Neither did the emperor? Or borius his bodygaurd

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Raithnor said:
Reording Mocap and dialouge at the same time.

This isn't going to be possible with a lot of games. Just due to the way trying to schedule voice actors to come in and record lines. Any game that requires a localization, such as when they bring a JRPG to North America, requires dialouge replacement without changing the visuals.
It's not going to be possible very often at all.

The only reason they could do it in Silent Hill is because the voices in Silent Hill are all done by whoever they could find on the streets in Japan who happened to speak English, which is why they're even more awful than usual, since they are recorded primarily for people who aren't going to understand them or care about the niceties of the acting. (It's an odd design decision, but Silent Hill games in Japan have always had English voice acting and subtitles for their cutscenes).

More often though, you'll simply find that the person who actually does the voice looks bugger all like the character they're voicing, and so is simply not appropriate to get the mocap data from.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Bediz said:
Raithnor said:
Any game that requires a localization, such as when they bring a JRPG to North America, requires dialouge replacement without changing the visuals.
This is true, but I don't think anyone's playing JRPGs for the immersion factor. The high points in that type of game are the story and the grab at the weaboo demographic with anime style artwork, effeminate male heroes and love interests that look 12 but the backstory tells you they've known the hero for 20 years.
You don't even know. In Ar Tonelico one of the possible love interests "grows up," but just ends up looking like she changed clothes and put on platform shoes even though she's supposed to have gone through puberty.

You_have_a_name

Feb 25, 2009
hansari said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Silent Hill 2

Yahtzee delivers unto us the four Commandments of cutscenes.

Read Full Article
Kind of expected something more along these lines with regard to "gaming commandments." [http://www.cracked.com/article_16196_7-commandments-all-video-games-should-obey.html]
that list is fucking stupid half of them contradict what i do like about a game

hansari

May 31, 2009
sean.2k9 said:
that list is fucking stupid half of them contradict what i do like about a game
Because everything you like in a game is by definition what everyone else believes is a "good" game...

You probably just skimmed the titles...

RaiZ-R

Aug 15, 2009
Ok, maybe I'm missing the point here. I mean, it's not like Yahtzee can't write. In fact, quite the opposite, his way with words leaves me in awe of him at times... But wasn't the whole point behind Zero Punctuation that the review was entirely contained within a video, for my ease and convenience. I love to read, but why the hell should I watch a ZP video, knowing that Yahtzee has had to hold back so he can also write another review, an extension if you will, just because (and here I'll admit I'm assuming... And we all know what that can do at times) The Escapist told him to. It just seems a little pointless to me.

blacklab

May 21, 2009
RaiZ-R said:
Ok, maybe I'm missing the point here. I mean, it's not like Yahtzee can't write. In fact, quite the opposite, his way with words leaves me in awe of him at times... But wasn't the whole point behind Zero Punctuation that the review was entirely contained within a video, for my ease and convenience. I love to read, but why the hell should I watch a ZP video, knowing that Yahtzee has had to hold back so he can also write another review, an extension if you will, just because (and here I'll admit I'm assuming... And we all know what that can do at times) The Escapist told him to. It just seems a little pointless to me.
You are correct, you're missing the point.

RaiZ-R

Aug 15, 2009
blacklab said:
You are correct, you're missing the point.
Thanks for that. Do you troll here often?

Seriously though, what's the point in you posting that, and then not explaining the point that I seem to be missing? Hmmm... I get the feeling this may go on for quite a while.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
I like the work within your limitations commandment.

I know the intention of this one but it gets me thinking that developers would be cautious of showing they can do more with less time and again for the simple reason that the pen-pushing accountant types that seem to silently rule the world,will insist that they do more with less every time in order to cut costs,save money for the big-bosses etc.

Money rules just about every decision made under the sun.If a developer gets the nod for a big budget its just a shame that these games more than often turn out somewhat muddled and mediocre.Like the creative spark gets dilluted by an army sized development team.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh, you're on, Yahtzee. I'm be working on my game with ten rooms and three characters, set in 1930's Morocco.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Desert Tiger said:
Gunner_Guardian said:
Yahtzee is there something your not telling us about Silent Hill 2 that reminds you of your personal life? Something that gave the game the extra mile with you?
Yes. Yahtzee killed his wife and got an invitation to a creepy town in the middle of nowhere - the only difference being that he drove home and picked up a couple of hookers in his version, and so he finds himself mildly interested to find out what would have happened to him if he'd stayed.

But yeah. SH2 was an amazing game with a terrific atmosphere. Bioshock had an atmosphere... but I wouldn't necessarily call it terrific. It was kinda hollow, forced, steam punk/horror that left me with a funny taste in my mouth. It also felt like I was playing part of the Fallout universe, due to the similarities in dark humour and stuff.

SH2 never forced me to like the characters either, which in combination with its multipled endings, gave birth to the "whoever you don't give a shit about dies" multiple endings.
You forgot the part where Yahtzee discovered that we are all manipulated by the canine puppetmaster. I still thank him for this revelation to this day.

DaveMc

Jul 29, 2008
RaiZ-R said:
Well it seems like it ought to be, at most, harmless to you. You're free not to read it. It's a column by Yahtzee, and so far it's on the same subject as the review of the week; it's not a homework assignment. Skip it if you don't like it. I also don't see any reason to believe that he's holding back pearls of wisdom for the column to the detriment of the video. Those are two completely different formats, I don't think there's going to be much crossover between them. (And even if there were, it's not like there's a shortage of words. I'm pretty sure Mr. Yahtzee can come up with enough to fill both a video and a text column, without having to scrimp.)

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I'm guessing that Yathzee must like "1408" movie, because it's basicly silent hill movie. Except the city is now a room, and monsters turned into bloodlusty wallpapers and hallucinations.

From what I remember from Psychonauts review the number of characters doesn't really matter as long as they're well characterised and likeable.
Linearity killed Siren Blood Curse, but wasn't bad for Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood because of good story. :) I learn between ass jokes.