Silent Hill Composer Auctioning Guitar for Japan Appeal

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Silent Hill Composer Auctioning Guitar for Japan Appeal

Giving up a treasured guitar is a small price to pay to help people, says composer.

Akira Yamaoka, the composer behind Silent Hill's wonderfully atmospheric soundtrack, is auctioning off the guitar he wrote all that amazing music on in order to raise money for the Play for Japan. According to the auction information [http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemNext&item=160565804078&autorefresh=true#ht_976wt_1141], the soul of Silent Hill lives in the guitar, and there's a good chance that the guitar is haunted.

The complete lot is a Yamaha APX-15FM acoustic electric guitar, a Line 6 FB4, and a Line 6 POD. With this equipment, it is apparently possible to replicate any of the sounds from the Silent Hill games. Yamaoka bought the guitar just before he started working on the first Silent Hill and has used it for every game in the series since then. He also used it in a live performance of the Silent Hill music at the Video Games Live concerts.

Yamaoka said that giving up the guitar was a small thing to lose compared to the losses suffered by the people of Touhoku following the earthquake and the tsunami it triggered. At time of writing, the guitar had raised $1,375, with six days still left to go. For a Silent Hill fan with deep pockets, this is an amazing opportunity; if I were a wealthier man, I'd leap at the chance.

You can see this and other auctions at the Play for Japan website [http://playforjapan.org/].

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/akira-yamaoka-s-guitar-silent-hill-gear-up-for-auction-197525.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29]

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
*Jaw hits floor*
Dude if I had the money I'd pay a veritable fortune for that!
And I'm not even that big of a fan of Silent Hill, and it's only earned a little over 1,300? Blasphemy!

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
That is awesome. Though being haunted by the forces of a horror game is actually an excellent reason to not buy it.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Holy shit. I LOVE the music for that series. LOVE IT. Also, I'm a lifelong student of the guitar.

I want : /

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Oh, man!Now that is one item i would buy if i had enough cash. Not only is it a great cause, but the guitar is pretty sweet. The fact that is my favourite videogame composer makes this very tempting. The Silent Hill soundtracks have always been one of the strong points of the series.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
moretimethansense said:
*Jaw hits floor*
And I'm not even that big of a fan of Silent Hill, and it's only earned a little over 1,300? Blasphemy!
Don't worry, the price for that guitar, even without the cult value, is higher than $1300. It will rise.

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
Thats something for the guitarist in me AND the gamer in me D:

Those are the only things that i ever do! i want.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
wow... think i would buy it and give it back to him if i could... must be heartbreaking to part with it

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Wow, that is a great gesture from a great composer. Now I have a reason to love him for more than just his musical talent!
googleback said:
wow... think i would buy it and give it back to him if i could... must be heartbreaking to part with it
I don't think he would accept the guitar if you wanted to give it back to him. Accepting it back would feel like cheating to him I think. He wants to make a sacrifice in order to ease the suffering of others. Japanese Honour and all that. ;)

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
cursedseishi said:
moretimethansense said:
*Jaw hits floor*
People are likely waiting for the bid to get closer to the end before they start throwing down, hoping for a cheaper price than if they bidded now.

I would totally sell my kidney just to get this guitar, and part of my liver... and a lung...
Then I'd give him the guitar back, because I'm too damn afraid that if I own that thing for more than a week, Silent Hill is going to get me, and I'd hate to see what it conjures out of my psyche.
Omgsarge said:
Wow, that is a great gesture from a great composer. Now I have a reason to love him for more than just his musical talent!
googleback said:
I don't think he would accept the guitar if you wanted to give it back to him. Accepting it back would feel like cheating to him I think. He wants to make a sacrifice in order to ease the suffering of others. Japanese Honour and all that. ;)
You see I'd give it to him, but he'd have to follow me around for a month playing my theme tune, which he would have to write.