Silent Hill HD Collection Gets Screenshots and Vague Release Date

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Silent Hill HD Collection Gets Screenshots and Vague Release Date

The Silent Hill HD Collection arrives this September/October complete with higher definition graphics and darker darkness.

The Silent Hill series is known for being dark, both thematically and in a very literal, "Oh Jesus, what is that scuttling around in the darkness?" kind of way. The Silent Hill HD collection, which, funnily enough, collects the critically acclaimed series' second and third games in one volume, certainly hasn't bucked that trend, judging by the screenshots below.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 (the collection omits the first game in the series for some unknown reason and the fourth for a very obvious reason - it was pants.) are being ported to the PlayStation 3, and only the PlayStation 3, for now at least. In an interview with Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/silent-hill-collection-will-be-on-playstation-3-only-this-fall/], Silent Hill producer Tomm Hulett did mention the possibility of a distant multi-platform release but we've heard little else on the subject thus far. Both games will come on one Blu-Ray disk complete with 720p graphics, an updated score and a "completely updated" voice track. The games are being ported by Hi Jinx studios, the developers who brought us Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement and, um ... Frogger Returns.

[gallery=398]

Source:Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/25/silent-hill-hd-collection-coming-in-september-october-first-s/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Too much damn good NEW stuff this fall. And a lot of great HD collections, too. But I'll probably pass on the collections like this in favor of new experiences. Except maybe that Splinter Cell one...

I foresee that 2012 will be a year I spend playing 2011 games and PS2 remakes.

>_>

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Are they re-recording the voice acting?

If not, count me out. That was the worst for me. It pulled me out of the game every time someone spoke, and if that happens in a game that REQUIRES immersion, then that's bad.

BBMv12

Jun 2, 2010
I call this gets pushed back to November...

also am really looking forward to this. I had "The Silent Hill Collection" on PS2 (SH 2,3 and 4) and vaguely recall starting 2, don't thing I ever finished it though... Maybe the promise of Trophies will inspire me to actually complete the game this time, as sad as that sounds.

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
This would have been a Day One purchase for me if either the first game (which I love) or the fourth game (which I haven't yet played) had been included. I'm sure I'll get it eventually (I'm intrigued about hearing the new voice-acting), but right now I'm more excited for the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection (since I only played Ico for an hour and I've never played Shadow of the Colossus).

The screenshots look promising, certainly.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
If it includes the extra video stuff like Fukuro and the music videos from SH3... it'll be the bestest thing evar

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know how I feel about the re-recorded voices.

I'll be the first to admit that the original voices - apart from Marie/Maria, she kicked ass - were a bit campy, but it brought a certain innocence to the characters, which in turn served as a nice contrast with all the psychological doom 'n gloom. Or maybe it's just my nostalgia for the charmingly simple voice tracks of old.
But I also remember these characters with their original voices, and hearing them speak with different vocals just doesn't sit right with me.

I also don't know how much of the visual atmosphere will remain intact if everything is going to look all slick and shiny. One of the aspects of Silent Hill was that the developers used the PS2's graphical limitations to their advantage. If they spruce everything up with an HD conversion, some of that atmosphere might become lost in the translation.

Christ, listen to me. I sound like some overly concerned mom sending her kid off to their first day of school.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
Are they re-recording the voice acting?

If not, count me out. That was the worst for me. It pulled me out of the game every time someone spoke, and if that happens in a game that REQUIRES immersion, then that's bad.
for the better or for the worse, Konami's recasting the voice actors.

I never played it. so if you say it was pretty bad.. I guess I have nothing to complain about.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
...I really liked Silent Hill: The Room. Then again, it was the first one I played. I'd still say it had the best story of the lot, even if the gameplay was weak.

Anyway, got my eye on this. My PS3 seems like a good investment so far.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Who's Idea was it to call 2 of the 7 games(I think 7 I checked wiki derp) and call It a collection.

Redo those 2 for next gen, but only the ps3?

If they wanted to go to the awesome limits it should a have a true boxset feel and do it on both consoles.( that came out automatically I forgot about the Wii)

Shakaar9267

Look at me, I'm burning.
Nov 30, 2009
This is great!
Silent Hill's 2 & 3 were the high point of the series, I can't wait for them to come to my PS3.

GaltarDude1138 said:
I bet Yahtzee's still titillated about this game's re-release.
I bet this collection will do something to piss him off.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I, a grown ass man, just made an excited [a href=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Squee]'squee'[/a] sound out loud.

Thats how much hope I have for this.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
XT inc said:
Who's Idea was it to call 2 of the 7 games(I think 7 I checked wiki derp) and call It a collection.

Redo those 2 for next gen, but only the ps3?

If they wanted to go to the awesome limits it should a have a true boxset feel and do it on both consoles.( that came out automatically I forgot about the Wii)
That's what I would like to know. I can see them leaving off Homecoming and Shattered Memories since those came out not too long ago, but not the first of the fourth game? That's not cool and makes no sense, but I'm fine with them leaving Origins out, that game was crap.

I'd be happy if they just called it a selection rather than a collection.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Uhm, are those screenshots from the HD version? It doesn't really look a whole lot different from my old version of the game to be honest. Otherwise, hell yeah, more Silent Hill. I do love watching a hapless bloke/blokette going through their little versions of hell (or possibly the version of hell of one's alter ego due to years of abuse and neglect, possibly reinforced by the fetus of a god/demon thing one may or may not be carrying).

CScuff

Jan 14, 2011
LawlessSquirrel said:
...I really liked Silent Hill: The Room. Then again, it was the first one I played. I'd still say it had the best story of the lot, even if the gameplay was weak.

Anyway, got my eye on this. My PS3 seems like a good investment so far.
I agree with every bit of that statement...except for that last part, on account of my lack of PS3... Anyways, this whole deal had better *somehow* preserve the eeriness that the Silent Hill series was so readily able to achieve BECAUSE of its graphical limitations. Dead Space did it wrong. Amnesia did it right. I liked not being able to tell the difference between the a tree and a zombie bat in The Room, not because they were well-hidden, but because the graphical capability of the system couldn't define what was what as well. If I can see everything in beautiful, full HD, I think it may take away from the Silent Hill feel. Now, if a new horror series were to start up, basing their game off its graphical power (and not being Dead Space, and not being Dead Space, and not bring Dead Space), I can see a lot of potential.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
WayOutThere said:
Doesn't include the first game!? That's the one that needs a remake the most!
Agreed. SH1 was good. Sh4 anoyed me deeply, but 1 was very good. However, you can buy it off PSN- which means that if you are willing to put up with bad graphics you can play all 3 games on your PS3 now. By contrast, many PS3's can't play SH2 or SH3 on their PS2 discs. I suppose remaking SH1 seemed like an unjustified cost, as I imagine their primary goal was making sure people could play 2 and 3 at all on the current console generation.