Silent Hill HD Collection Miffs Series Art Director

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Screamarie said:
This makes me wonder if the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD collection is the same. I've wanted to buy it since it came out, just haven't had the money, but if the transfer to PS3 fucked the graphics, I might as well just try to find a old PS2 version. Anybody got the Ico/Shadow of the Collossus HD?
They look pretty much the same, but SotC runs much smoother than on PS2. You should definitely get it if you're a fan.
[sup]Now that you saved 40$ by not buying Silent Hill... :p[/sup]

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Screamarie said:
This makes me wonder if the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD collection is the same. I've wanted to buy it since it came out, just haven't had the money, but if the transfer to PS3 fucked the graphics, I might as well just try to find a old PS2 version. Anybody got the Ico/Shadow of the Collossus HD?
I do, and there's no need to fear. I have both the original Shadow of the Colossus and the HD collection. And I can tell you that the graphics and framerate have noticeably improved from the original.

Kakulukia said:
He's right to be miffed. Look at this shit:
I would like to thank Konami for giving me a reason to plug my PS2 back in. I'm definitely not buying this until those graphic and sound issues are fixed. And if Masahiro Ito is to be believed (and I think he is), they never will be.
Geez. That looks bad. I don't know how you would mess that up.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Kakulukia said:
Screamarie said:
They look pretty much the same, but SotC runs much smoother than on PS2. You should definitely get it if you're a fan.
[sup]Now that you saved 40$ by not buying Silent Hill... :p[/sup]
XD Actually I wouldn't have bought it anyways. Can't stand to play scary games, the interactivity freaks me the fuck out. So that's what youtube playthroughs are for!

But thanks for sharing your knowledge.

scorptatious said:
Screamarie said:
I do, and there's no need to fear. I have both the original Shadow of the Colossus and the HD collection. And I can tell you that the graphics and framerate have noticeably improved from the original. [\quote]

Thank you for sharing! I actually have the original Shadow of the Colossus and I absolutely adore it, but I've always wanted to get a copy of Ico. Then I found out about the HD collection and thought "oooo I bet it looks awesome that way!" so glad to know I won't be wasting my money.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I think it's been mentioned before, but if you take the PC version of SH2 and put the graphic settings to maximum you essentially get a HD version of the game.

"I guess that it was a problem of PS3. PS3 has a weak point for using 'translucent texture,'" tweets Ito
But to be so weak that it's worse than the PS2? Really?
Yikes.
That's like saying that "the Nintendo Wii is great, but when it comes to rendering sprites the NES did it better".

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
So... for somebody who has always wanted to play Silent Hill 2 but never got the chance, is it worth the money I wonder.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
When I noticed we only get two games in the "collection", I decided to wait until it's only around £9. After seeing the screen shots I'm not so sure I'll get it at all. Looks awful.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kakulukia said:
I would like to thank Konami for giving me a reason to plug my PS2 back in. I'm definitely not buying this until those graphic and sound issues are fixed. And if Masahiro Ito is to be believed (and I think he is), they never will be.
How does it feel being the most quoted person in the entire thread? Really, I can't understand this. When I read the article I thought it was something minor about the fog not being quite the same and the water looking too bright and joyful. The water looks like a tragedy and not the kind of tragedy that adds to the mood. The kind of tragedy when they decide to make it in paint!
It looks really crappy. I don't know how it is possible to use better hardware and end up with worse results.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Kakulukia said:
Why is that silly man in the PS3 screenshot rowing a boat through snowdrifts? Does he not know that boats are for water!

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Oh man, this is depressing. On the plus side I got to read Jim Sterling's review in which he says that Silent Hill 3 is an "intense, stressful ghost train of mind screws". Yes. Yes that sums it up nicely. I'm glad I've finally found someone who put that into words.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I don't really know what to say except: this is real, it looks this bad, Konami knew but shipped it anyway. Silent Hill: Downpour, while not abominable, was still a big let-down, and now they're confusing a new generation of players with glitchy, well-lit re-ports of the old games. Few people understand the tightly weaved mythology of Silent Hill, and now they have to figure out three sets of VAs, glitchy textures, side-stories, not being able to find SH1, etc.

If, like me, you have the original SH 1-3 (plus 4), lend them to your friends before they get the HD Collection so they can see the true beauty of these games, unchanged.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Screamarie said:
It is absolutely fantastic. It is the pinnacle of PS3 HD re-releases (for what that's worth). The best part is that the texture work and such were there anyway, but couldn't be seen on the PS2, so the HD clean-up artists really didn't change anything. Those games were the perfect candidate to be re-made in HD. It was a first-day buy and I definitely don't regret it...

In short, worry not. It's worth it!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
These HD remakes are annoying. They aren't even going to bother releasing them properly? It makes me not to want to ever buy a Konami game again. It should not have been released in that condition. I chalk this up to no playtesting. People should be fired for making such poor decisions.

SanguineSymphony

Jan 25, 2011
I played the game when it was first released and didn't find it to be all that frightening in its original itteration. However the story mixed well with the forbodding asnd mystical atmosphere. Which by the sounds of things this release undercuts.

Then again the terrible voice acting did largely the same thing so... Either way they (Konami) should have just re-employed Blue Point and done the thing right.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Yeah, i saw soem of the screenshots for this. On some parts textures were cleaned of the rust and on others the fog is too weak or entirely missing. Removes a lot of atmosphere and kind of beats the point of a HD release.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
For reference:

Left hand side shows the HD version, the right hand side shows the original.

Zyrocz

Mar 26, 2012
Probably going to get this anyway since I haven't played any of the games and this is an easy way to get two of them. Will I have to read a plot summary of the first game in order to understand what's going on in the second and/or third?

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I got the Silent Hill HD collection on the PS3 and everything seems fine to me.
The only real problem I had with 2 was it was way too dark, too the point where it took me a full hour and a half of wandering up against the wall tapping (X) to find the right door to get to the flash light in the apartments. The thing is I've already done all of this (many times) in my PS2 version.
Problem was fixed after I adjusted the brightness on the TV.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Totalbiscuit happened to have some interesting thoughts on this matter just a few days ago on an episode of his Mailbox series, which you can find here (skip to 1:25 if you want):

I agree with pretty much everything he said, he covered the subject well.