Silent Hill HD Collection Miffs Series Art Director

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
First the voice acting and now this, they're making it difficult for me to want to buy the games -_-

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Horror games have been facing a serious uphill battle this generation. All because games look so damn pretty these days. It's hard to get scared or get sucked into the atmosphere when the atmosphere is so crisp and detailed in HD.

Plus since the amount of money needed to make a game these days for the consoles is so high, the developers can't just make a game for their dedicated horror fans. Everything must be of some other genre but with horror elements taped on. I'm looking at you, Dead Space.

Hopefully we'll see a resurgence as more small developers get in on the action, and the indie scene arrives at the same mix of graphical fidelity and relatively low cost that made the PS2 era rife with experimental games. Games like the Silent Hill series (yes I know SH1 was on PS1, I'm trying to make a point).

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Fasckira said:
For reference:

Imgsnip

Left hand side shows the HD version, the right hand side shows the original.
That looks awful! The sharp borders are particularly ugly, and the fog seems to be little more than a backdrop. I know there's more to SH2 (being the wretched fanboy that I am) than the fog, but it looks like a good chunk of the atmosphere has gone the way of some old wallet.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Fasckira said:
For reference:

Left hand side shows the HD version, the right hand side shows the original.
Okay, but how does the game look for the other 99% of the time. Really, if no one else remembers you spend 1 cutscene, and at max 2 minutes in the fucking boat. The rest of the game looks fine.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Carnagath said:
I agree with pretty much everything he said, he covered the subject well.
I thought 10:50 was the best part, when he started talking about the "fan" mentality which is the reason people have given me for buying both Downpour and the Collection. "I'm a true fan, that's why I'm buying it anyway", or "I have to collect the whole set".

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
My biggest issue with the rereleases is that all the textures seems to look like shit. In the old game, the colors kind of melted together, making it look a bit nasty and fitting. When converted directly to HD the textures look super sharp, loosing that grit that could be called a part of the games art-direction. Instead of looking nasty and atmospheric it now looks clinical and dull.

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
Ah well, failure of a port.

I find it hard to believe this could happen, isn't fog usually a limitation? Even silent hill 1 could handle it.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
From what I remember the boat/docks were a small part of the game. I'm having a hard time finding anything else.

Kinda harshing my buzz folks cuz I already ordered this off the internet and have yet to get it in the mail.

Captcha: Face the Music

Damn Captcha... that hurt.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Are we still using the "PS3 is hard to program for!" excuse? I mean, really, developers have had several years to get used to the PS3 hardware, there's simply no excuse to release a simple HD upgrade to a previous game in such a shitty condition [http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab178/Kakulukia/konami_yuno.jpg].

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
In case anyone is wondering, here's the image:

It just looks like the water ends on the PS3 one. The left one. Looks really bad, I think. Never played Silent Hill, but the remake looks real bad.

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Konami: Doesn't matter, had PES...

Seriously, what the hell? To think they would get up to this point is really sad.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Part of the reason the Silent Hill games were so good was that they took advantage of the poor render distance of the systems and used that to create a great atmosphere. If you're going to make an HD re-release of a game like that, increasing draw distance is the last thing you should be doing.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Part of the reason the Silent Hill games were so good was that they took advantage of the poor render distance of the systems and used that to create a great atmosphere. If you're going to make an HD re-release of a game like that, increasing draw distance is the last thing you should be doing.
You do realise you spend like 80% of the game indoors right? And nearly all but 1 cutscene and a 2 minute mini game near or on water... The game looks fine otherwise.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Skopintsev said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
You do realise you spend like 80% of the game indoors right? And nearly all but 1 cutscene and a 2 minute mini game near or on water... The game looks fine otherwise.
How does the statement "the game looks fine indoors" invalidate my assertion that increasing draw distance makes the outside areas less atmospheric. They aren't related in the slightest.