Silent hill: Revelation...What happened to Sean Bean??

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ok, i know i shouldn't have. But i watched it, against all instincts...yes i was drunk, but that is no excuse! I feel dirty and ashamed.
What bothers me is that Sean Bean used to have standards. After that 'Cash' film that was a huge meh, it seems he doesn't really care what roles he plays now. What happened??

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
I thought the movie was alright. Sure, the writing is a little corny, they messed with the characters a bit too much (most obvious one is Vincent), the plot moves too fast and might make no sense to non-Silent hill 3 players, Pyramid Head is overused, it feels more like an action movie than a Silent hill's movie... Okay, maybe it was a little bad, but hey, it has Jon Snow!

I liked the first movie more.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Actually, silent hill 3 is the only one i haven't played. oops! Then again, the first movie was much better than i expected and the musical score just made it stand out more. (hehe, accidental rhyme)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I think you'll find that a lot of really well-regarded actors and actresses have been in absolutely terrible films before.

Though as far as "standards" are concerned, I'd hope that the people involved in the creation of a film are expecting and trying to make a good film, and I don't think an exorbitant number of actors are so snooty that they'll pass up a decent paycheck just because they don't want to be associated with something (obviously it happens, but said films generally still manage to find another big name).

I mean, unless it's become a common theme in Hollywood itself that video game films tend to suck (which wouldn't really surprise me, no matter how much they keep trying to do it; Thanks Uwe Boll), I bet most of the people who expected the second Silent Hill to be bad were the same people who raged on and on about the first Silent Hill.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'd argue that Sean Bean's role in both the first and second Silent Hill were unforgivable, in the former it's to give us a Male lead because we just have to (filled by Vincent in the second film), and in the second he's just a joke character that lacks emotion. That's not really his fault, admittedly, but he could have put a little more effort into it.

He (and the writers) could've just stayed true to the original game and killed him when Heather got home, would have made the ending more bearable since he wouldn't just objectify Heather for no reason.

/no bias, right?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Some bastard son of a bastard ended sean beans bastarding movie career by hiring the bastard to play a bastard in the basterdised national treasure in which ironically he never uses the word "bastard". If you havent seen sharpe you probably wont get it (see video).

Seriously though sean bean has had some really good roles (LOTR, james bond) and also some terrible ones (national treasure)

Sean Bean will always be remember as Sharpe. If youre 20 or older and from the UK youll probably remember him being on sharpe before james bond or LOTR. I dont know how popular sharpe is outside the UK but its a pretty big deal over here

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
shootthebandit said:
Sean Bean will always be remember as Sharpe.

OP: I thought this would be about what happened to the character, not the actor! :p Could've been a contract thing, maybe they expected the first movie to take off like the Resident Evil ones and signed the leads for as many movies as possible. Or that Sean has a kid or a nephew who really likes the games and asked please please please, the way Bob Hoskins was convinced to do Mario. Or that he just has terrible taste in scripts. Or maybe it's just a money thing. So many options...

Dec 14, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Some bastard son of a bastard ended sean beans bastarding movie career by hiring the bastard to play a bastard in the basterdised national treasure in which ironically he never uses the word "bastard". If you havent seen sharpe you probably wont get it (see video).

Seriously though sean bean has had some really good roles (LOTR, james bond) and also some terrible ones (national treasure)

Sean Bean will always be remember as Sharpe. If youre 20 or older and from the UK youll probably remember him being on sharpe before james bond or LOTR. I dont know how popular sharpe is outside the UK but its a pretty big deal over here
Every time Sharpe took an injury in the leg, instead of dying, he has to die in another film.

By my count, he needs to die in another 3678 films before he's even.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I liked the movie, and I feel like it did a good job justifying the first movie and tying it to the sequel.

It also did a good job explaining the plot and Heather's connection to Alyssa, even if it did get a little too action oriented and utilized Pyramid Head like crazy.

Still, it could have been a lot worse and I was at least satisfied with what we got.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Eh, plenty of actors do crap movies - it's usually the money, no?

Daystar Clarion said:
Every time Sharpe took an injury in the leg, instead of dying, he has to die in another film.

By my count, he needs to die in another 3678 films before he's even.
Heh, I seriously just snort-laughed at that and had to explain it to a co-worker.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I liked the movie because I went in knowing what to expect: a movie packed with so many references to the video game that the plot, acting, and story were going to be left wanting if I looked at them too hard. So I had a good time spotting everything.
My favorite part was the ending. The managed to reference Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill Origins, and Silent Hill Downpour all in the span of maybe a minute, and none of it felt forced to me. I loved that.

If I had to pick something about the film that I didn't care for, I would say it's what happened to Douglas. Vincent being the love interest/guide, while annoying, I understood from a writing perspective. You can't leave the audience and Heather in the dark for that long like the video game did. But Douglas dying I did not care for. I guess I also wanted the plotline with the cops chasing after Heather to either be resolved, or never have started in the first place.