Silent Hills P.T. Spiritual Successor Allison Road Cancelled

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
tf2godz said:
thebobmaster said:
I swear, if Konami is somehow behind this..*grumble grumble*
you joke, but it could be a very big possibility that Konami threatened to sue them.
On what grounds? Despite being a self-proclaimed "spiritual successor", Allison Road has absolutely nothing to do with the Silent Hill franchise.

To my knowledge, Konami doesn't own a copyright over games with a ghost that's trying to kill you in them.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Oh Goddammit.

I was really looking forward to this too.

Why do companies hate horror so much? :(
Well in my case I find Horror games these days increadibly oversaturated with the exact same kind of game and gameplay.

I call it, "First-Person, No Combat Horror Games"

Or to put it simply, "Amnesia-Clones/Amnesia-like"

And I am not a fan of all of them execpt for 1 game, One Late Night:

I thought that having combat, mixed with item scarcity, was the perfect balance for a horror game. It also adds to pacing. You play through most of SH2 with a weapon. Then you have to board an elevator and leave your weapons behind. It's terrifying, because you've lost the ability to protect yourself. If the whole game had been like that, though, then the affect would have worn off... quick.

I was happy that horror games made a comeback, but now their all like Slinder, or Amnesia. Every once in a while something interesting will get announced, but their few and far between, and they usually get cancelled. The entire genre feels like a cock-tease at this point.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
While it's sad that Allison Road is cancelled, I can't lie, I'm not too upset about it. I loved P.T., I really did, but I'm hoping for a spiritually successor to Silent Hills, not P.T. Allison Road was clearly a successor to P.T., and I doubt that Silent Hills would have been too similar to P.T. in gameplay style.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
You know, there could actually be a really good story here. What if somehow the programming code in PT was haunted and was actually 'causing a deadly ghost to appear in the office. Like that one episode of Supernatrual where Hollywood is filming a horror movie and accidentally put a real ghost summoning spell in a scene where the kids in the cabin were pretending to summon ghosts.

And for some reason part of the PT code got transferred into the Alison Road project, and the ghost went with it. So the whole office is being haunted again by the new incarnation of the ghost.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Oh Goddammit.

I was really looking forward to this too.

Why do companies hate horror so much? :(
Well in my case I find Horror games these days increadibly oversaturated with the exact same kind of game and gameplay.

I call it, "First-Person, No Combat Horror Games"

Or to put it simply, "Amnesia-Clones/Amnesia-like"

And I am not a fan of all of them execpt for 1 game, One Late Night:

I mean, I liked Amnesia and even the Justine DLC, but everything else is just copying them and it's really not good.

Some of them are downright boring.

Outlast was pretty okay, but that's about it. I don't really expect to see many horror games, but the ones that are out there are just a little milk-toasty.

I'm not expecting the world here, I'm a simple toaster with simple needs, but it seems like a good horror game is damn near impossible at times. :/

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
RJ 17 said:
tf2godz said:
thebobmaster said:
I swear, if Konami is somehow behind this..*grumble grumble*
you joke, but it could be a very big possibility that Konami threatened to sue them.
On what grounds? Despite being a self-proclaimed "spiritual successor", Allison Road has absolutely nothing to do with the Silent Hill franchise.

To my knowledge, Konami doesn't own a copyright over games with a ghost that's trying to kill you in them.
You do this Konami right? I can see them suing out of spit in this case. They also don't have to win this lawsuit, It doesn't matter they don't have a leg to stand on in this case. Lawsuits are expensive and damaging to smaller companies. I remember hearing the story where Marvel U.K sued another company out of spite and even though the judge himself scolded them for the action it still drove that small company out of business.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
I didn't like the idea of Allison Road to be honest.
Sounded like the same style of first person horror I am sick off (Amnesia and Penumbra were nice, in a time where wasn't fucking everywhere) and one to capitalize on something that a lot of people liked to boot.
The reason why I was excited for Silent Hills was because it was a Silent Hill with a lot of big name people behind, not because of the teaser in it self.

While I am not heartbroken about, it does suck for the people who wanted it.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Jesus, there has got to be some kind of ancient gypsy curse at play here. It doesn't seem natural that everything connected to P.T vanishes.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
WELL, what a lot of good that publisher did to help the project. Crazy twat biscuits...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Pfffft. What-@#$%ing-ever.

Gee, look at that: if you tap into the devotion for PT and Silent Hills and the legacy of the games that preceded them, you can generate a comparable level of disappointment when you turn out to be vaporware. Quelle Surprise.

I never got any impression that the link to PT/Silent Hills was much more than sheer hype hoping to attract attention to one more video game Kickstarter, frankly. The Allison Road website describes Lilith Ltd., their team, as "6 developers, one writer, one production manager, one business manager, and one marketing/PR consultant." What isn't mentioned (and surely would have been if it would have helped)? Anyone who was attached to PT, Silent Hills, or any previous version of Silent Hill. Certainly not Kojima or Del Toro.

There's a fuckload of overly credulous journalists providing blurbs that allowed them to imply the game was the second coming. There's some admittedly pretty concept art.

There's a Kickstarter that used up 2/3 of its time to reach 3/5 of its goal.

What there isn't is anything to warrant this level of shock and publicity that- when all the flim-flam is wrenched away- one more failed Kickstarter game turned out in the end to be so much smoke and mirrors.

Sorry you got left holding the bag on this one, Team17. I still like Worms.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
American Fox said:
Right? I was thinkin' that same thing when I first heard about the game.

"'Allison Road'? I like that song, this'll be a cute little gam- OH GOD, OH NO, OH GOD!
Looks pretty cool.
But OH GOD!"