Simon Pegg Is Co-Writing Star Trek 3

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Simon Pegg Is Co-Writing Star Trek 3

When not playing as Scotty, Simon Pegg will take time away from Engineering to write Star Trek 3's script.

The strange history of the upcoming Star Trek film just got a little more interesting. A mere month ago, we learned it would be directed by <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139200-Star-Trek-3-To-Be-Directed-by-Justin-Lin-of-Fast-Furious>Fast & Furious' Justin Lin after <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138909-Roberto-Orci-No-Longer-Directing-JJ-Abrams-Star-Trek-3>Roberto Orci stepped down. Now it turns out that Scotty is helping out with the script - or to be more specific, actor Simon Pegg will be co-writing alongside Doug Jung.

Although best know for his acting work, Pegg certainly has lots of writing experience. He co-wrote the entire "Three Flavors Cornetto" trilogy of Shaun of Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End, as well as Paul and Run, Fatboy, Run. Doug Jung, meanwhile, is known for his TNT series Dark Blue and was a writer and producer for HBO's Big Love.

Now what exactly Pegg and Jung will create for Star Trek 3 remains to be seen. The new film will reunite the entire rebooted Enterprise crew - including Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, and Karl Urban - for a new adventure. Having Pegg, Jung, and Lin working together on a sci-fi movie could be promising, and we'll see the result on July 8, 2016. Just don't be completely surprised if Scotty has a little more screen time than before.

Source: Deadline

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sounds good. Pegg has experience with character chemistry, he's good at it I think. He's also one helluva geek with, no doubt, plenty of respect and love for what made the Star Trek shows of yesterday such a blast to watch. Maybe he can inject some of that love in the script, make it feel like the franchise we love.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
So the writer of Hot Fuzz and a random TV-series writer with little other experience writing for what will likely be one of the biggest blockbusters of its release year.

... well, can't do worse than Orci. Bring it on!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
If his prior work and a few personal accounts are anything to go by, Pegg knows his stuff.
I'm pulling for him here; even if only it's because he co-wrote one of my favorite films of all time (Hot Fuzz).

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hmm so will we see Kirk having to apologise for Spock making inappropriate comments?

JarinArenos said:
So the writer of Hot Fuzz and a random TV-series writer with little other experience writing for what will likely be one of the biggest blockbusters of its release year.

Pegg was a co writer on the series TV Spaced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced

Pegg is total Star Trek fanboi and will get the feel far better than you think.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
albino boo said:
Hmm so will we see Kirk having to apologise for Spock making inappropriate comments?

JarinArenos said:

Pegg was a co writer on the series TV Spaced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced

Pegg is total Star Trek fanboi and will get the feel far better than you think.
Sarcasm aside, my last sentence is actually totally honest. This makes me happier about the movie than I have been to date.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Thanks JarinArenos.

A TV series writer, yes, but the main series that he's known for is Spaced. That's cred enough right there. And besides Hot Fuzz, there's Shaun of the Dead, Run Fatboy Run, and Paul. As well as hitting the trifecta of SF as an actor, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Dr. Who.

See, shorting him on his resume as you did, sent me to the IMDB, where I discovered a previously unknown (to me) comedy series with some of my favorite actors, Asylum, with Henry (Grant) Naylor, Julian Barrat (who would make a fantastic Comic Relief Dr. Who), Jessica Hynes, Norman ("the thing about space, you see, it's fundamental quality...") Lovett, Bill Bailey, and the aforementioned SP.

So, thank you, sir.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
bkd69 said:
Thanks JarinArenos.

A TV series writer, yes, but the main series that he's known for is Spaced. That's cred enough right there. And besides Hot Fuzz, there's Shaun of the Dead, Run Fatboy Run, and Paul. As well as hitting the trifecta of SF as an actor, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Dr. Who.

See, shorting him on his resume as you did, sent me to the IMDB, where I discovered a previously unknown (to me) comedy series with some of my favorite actors, Asylum, with Henry (Grant) Naylor, Julian Barrat (who would make a fantastic Comic Relief Dr. Who), Jessica Hynes, Norman ("the thing about space, you see, it's fundamental quality...") Lovett, Bill Bailey, and the aforementioned SP.

So, thank you, sir.
Have you seen Black Books? Bill Bailey was a regular in that one and Simon Pegg guest starred in one episode.

Mike_Kocsis

Sep 11, 2011
Well considering JJ Abrams has openly admitted to not liking Star Trek and Simon Pegg is on record as loving it, I think this is a very good step in the right direction. Maybe a more traditional Star Trek plot and less lens bloom.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Orci out, Pegg in.

That is literally the best possible outcome this could have had, in terms of writing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Let's see... Given that he landed a cameo in Land of the Dead, I picture him showing up as a Red Shirt.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I would hope the next Star Trek focuses on the crew a bit more than dopey action, for all the last two movies many faults, the crew are brilliant, even Chris Pine's oblivious over confidence fits perfectly.

The only one I think that's got short shrift has been Uhura, so maybe Pegg can give her a better part next year.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Let's see... Given that he landed a cameo in Land of the Dead, I picture him showing up as a Red Shirt.
Who Pegg? He's Scotty.

Pegg does know Trek and he does know character so hopefully we'll see more of the crew...and a recreation of the bar brawl from The Trouble with Tribbles.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
octafish said:
FalloutJack said:
Who Pegg? He's Scotty.

Pegg does know Trek and he does know character so hopefully we'll see more of the crew...and a recreation of the bar brawl from The Trouble with Tribbles.
Wow, I completely missed that. He looks different to me in that role.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Hopefully he can make the entire series stop sucking, but i'm not holding my breath

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
albino boo said:
bkd69 said:
Thanks JarinArenos.

So, thank you, sir.
Have you seen Black Books? Bill Bailey was a regular in that one and Simon Pegg guest starred in one episode.
Hipster Geek has not only seen Black Books, Hipster Geek has seen Dirk Gently, Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, Nathan Barley, and watched Spaced during its initial American broadcast, which was only over a couple of weeks at 2am on one of the lesser (at the time) cable channels. Hipster Geek is now so jaded, he only watches Ijon Tichy, Raumpilot on repeat while he works on his Blake's 7 cosplay outfits.

Hipster Geek also buys only unmarked dice so he can mark them himself, considers d10s an abomination, and particularly d10s numbered 11-00, and likewise, d4s with numbers on the top.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I've been wanting them to do this for ages.

The potential downside is they could end up just using him as an obscure-reference-sounding-board.

Continuing to completely miss what made Star Trek the sci-fi icon it is but have many more shout-out types in jokes to give loyal Trekkies something to smile at while watching a generic sci-fi action film.