Simon Pegg Is Co-Writing Star Trek 3

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Although best know for his acting work, Pegg certainly has lots of writing experience."
I guess this depends on where you are from... I knew he wrote most of the movies he appeared in.

So.... "Star Trek 3: Scotty's amazing adventure" ?

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Glad to hear that Paramount has finally seen the light and told Orci to f*ck off. Sounds like whatever script he and his amateur-hour colleagues had previously devised was so horrid even the studio must have seen it was just absolute trash.

Maybe this, together with his loss of the director's chair, marks the beginning of the end for Fail-Upwards Orci and co. One can only hope.

Back on topic though, I'm confident Pegg can write a good script for Star Trek. The overriding concern is whether he's going to be allowed to do a proper Star Trek script and not just another brainless action film. I'm obviously not expecting something like the old TOS or TNG episodes where it's more thinking than fighting, but surely there's got to be a balance between thought-provoking Sci-Fi and just really flat out dumb 'splosions etc. If we get another Into Darkness, then the reboot series is as good as dead.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Hopefully Pegg writes the sequel in a way that makes it so I don't have to what Into Darkness to get whats going on

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Being a fan of something is a double edged sword.

At one end he could go in with respect, trying to put in what he values about the aspects of the original Star Trek stuff and ultimately making a solid and respectful product.

On the other end he could just be writing fan fiction, taking the appearance of a Star Trek product without actually slicing through it and figuring out what worked to incorporate it into the new project.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek, but if I was I wouldn't be getting my hopes up (unless the first two reboot Star Trek films were that atrocious and the only way is up, of course).

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This awesome! Maybe Scotty can finally bring some more humor to this next movie, and get it to exploring more of the universe. Hell, just make him the director anyway!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Evonisia said:
Being a fan of something is a double edged sword.

At one end he could go in with respect, trying to put in what he values about the aspects of the original Star Trek stuff and ultimately making a solid and respectful product.

On the other end he could just be writing fan fiction, taking the appearance of a Star Trek product without actually slicing through it and figuring out what worked to incorporate it into the new project.
I've got hopes, I know it's not Star Trek, but if we take Shaun of the Dead(in my opinion, one of the greatest zombie movies there is despite being a comedy), Paul and Hot Fuzz as examples; even though they're written by a total fanboys of the genres, they never feel like they're coming off as fanfiction (despite Paul clearly being so for Peggs character at the very least), they still feel original and fresh, while still retaining the elements of what makes the genre they're paying homage to great without distilling it down to JUST that and nothing else.

Him and Wright /get/ that just because certain elements have to be present or are integral to the genre, you still need to build on it with something more than that, that it's no good just cramming as many references or cliches as possible in and expecting it to create a good movie.

Aug 12, 2013
IMHO At this point the reboot series is beyond saving and needs to put out of it's misery. Star Trek needs to return to it's roots TV with a new TV show set 100 years after the events in Nemesis.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
..does this mean we'll see Chris Pine be shot out the airlock in the first scene?
(Yes the actor, not the character.)

It's just... I don't care anymore, especially if they're "bringing back" the shitty cast from the other two shitty movies.
Yeah I'm still pissed. Lens flares. Whatever.
I hope Star Wars goes the same way so I can at least enjoy the tears of that fanbase and we can all mope over a beer.
My theory is JJ Abrahms REALLY wanted to make a Star Wars movie but had to make do with Star Trek and we watched how incompatiable those two are together. Sooo I'm more hopeful about him with Star Wars and I hope he never ever touches Star Trek again.

CAPTCHA: One, Two, Three.
Are you trying to say something Captcha? Is that how many Abrahms star trek movies are in our future or how many there will ever be? BE MORE SPECIFIC CAPTCHA!