Simpsons Couch Gag Takes Minecraft's Notch By Surprise

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Simpsons Couch Gag Takes Minecraft's Notch By Surprise

"I'm not sure how I feel about it," says Markus Persson.

Minecraft, the game that Notch Persson turned down a job at Valve to make himself - and a hell of a good decision that turned out to be [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131647-Minecraft-on-PS3-Sells-Over-One-Million-Copies] - has claimed another blocky chunk of popular culture: The Simpsons borrowed it for a couch gag. Notch is pretty flattered, but he's not sure what to make of it.

"I STILL feel a bit like it's just this small game I made at home," a few million bucks [https://twitter.com/notch/status/453070245625069569] to employees, just because.

Also, Moe as Creeper: well played, couch gag writers. Well played.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XheEGpNegbQ]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
And this scene will be fully re-created in minecraft more than likely before I even finish typing this comment.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Maybe I just need to play Minecraft, but that gag was pretty lacklustre for me.

That said, I think The Simpsons has been rubbish for years now so *shrugs*.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
I think we've reached a weird point where to many Minecraft has more cultural relevance than the Simpsons in it's current form.
I was going to say "but The Simpsons has a Lego set!" but I recall Minecraft had Lego sets well before The Simpsons did. So... how about that.

Simpsons is still a commercial powerhouse, though, definitely moreso than Minecraft. People still buy into The Simpsons even as its decried as a shadow of its former self. Until people start criticizing and ignoring it, it's got relevance in spades.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
That is adorable. Now I both want to watch The Simpsons and play Minecraft. Grr, choices.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Moe as a creeper was the good part of that.

Otherwise it was worse than Minecraft, like one of the million knockoffs.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Ah, The Simpsons. Butt-raping popular culture for years just for material to be unfunny with.

Why can't you do an episode without any celebrity cameos, throwaway characters or plots you ripped off of short-lived sitcoms nobody remembered, Simpsons... whyyyyy.....

Moe as a creeper was indeed well played, however.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Well folks time to pack up shop and go home, Minecraft is officially dead now. Once you get referenced on The Simpsons it's over :p

Also somebody really needs to tell The Simpsons writers that just pointing out a thing exists isn't a joke.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hazy992 said:
Well folks time to pack up shop and go home, Minecraft is officially dead now. Once you get referenced on The Simpsons it's over :p
I think you're confusing The Simpsons with Family Guy. :p

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
JediMB said:
Hazy992 said:
I think you're confusing The Simpsons with Family Guy. :p
Doesn't it kind of apply to both of these? :p Besides, Family Guy is a little too focused on the 80's :p

[sub]You think that's bad? Remember the time I lost a pie-eating contest against Paula Abdul?[/sub]

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
That was actually terribly-executed. Like "Cowboy Bebop At His Computer Pacman Fever" levels of terribly-executed.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Hazy992 said:
Also somebody really needs to tell The Simpsons writers that just pointing out a thing exists isn't a joke.
One of the truest statements I've heard. I also wish they would learn that guest stars don't make episodes automatically good.

OT: Hate to copy a few of the other responses here, but Moe as a Creeper was the only enjoyable part.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I wonder how many less-informed elders thought it was parodying lego, that is, if they saw it at all.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
JoshuaMadoc said:
That was actually terribly-executed. Like "Cowboy Bebop At His Computer Pacman Fever" levels of terribly-executed.
Or "using names of TV Tropes entries in common everyday speech" levels of terribly executed.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Hey now, Jerry Seinfeld built his stand-up career out of doing that! :p

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Hero of Lime said:
I also wish they would learn that guest stars don't make episodes automatically good.
Oh tell me about it. One of the worst examples is when Lisa starts playing soccer, and then Ronaldo just shows up for no reason. He says like three lines in the entire episode. What was the point? That cameo added nothing
RJ 17 said:
Hey now, Jerry Seinfeld built his stand-up carrier out of doing that! :p
What's the deal with chili? It's not chilly, it's hot!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Hero of Lime said:
I also wish they would learn that guest stars don't make episodes automatically good.
Oh tell me about it. One of the worst examples is when Lisa starts playing soccer, and then Ronaldo just shows up for no reason. He says like three lines in the entire episode. What was the point? That cameo added nothing
RJ 17 said:

And what's the deal with typos? Can't a guy make a forum post without tripping over his keyboard and typing the wrong word? I mean come on already!

*fixes his original post* :p

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Hazy992 said:
Hero of Lime said:
RJ 17 said:

And what's the deal with typos? Can't a guy make a forum post without tripping over his keyboard and typing the wrong word? I mean come on already!

*fixes his original post* :p
And what's the deal with it being called a keyboard? Am I supposed to lock my doors with it or something?