Simpsons Creator Matt Groening Bringing His Talents to Netflix

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Simpsons Creator Matt Groening Bringing His Talents to Netflix

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1256/1256428.png

After just 585 episodes of Simpsons, it appears that Matt Groening is branching out.

Yes, the Simpsons and Futurama creator is currently in talks with Netflix to pen an original animated comedy series, according to Deadline [http://deadline.com/2016/01/matt-groening-animated-comedy-series-netflix-1201684100/].

There's been no word yet on what Groening's series will focus on, but if the A.V. Club [http://www.avclub.com/article/matt-groening-developing-animated-series-netflix-230844] is to be believed, "there's a plan forming for two seasons of the new show with 10 episodes apiece."

Regardless, Groening's series it should fit nicely alongside Netflix's ever-expanding list of original animated series'. In addition to BoJack Horseman, which will be entering its third season this year, and Bill Burr's F Is for Family, which just wrapped up its first, Netflix will also to life [http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/green-eggs-tv-show-netflix-1201462572/], with Ellen Degeneres serving as executive producer.

Whether or not the deal goes through, Groening will continue to serve as executive producer on Fox's The Simpsons, which is now midway through its 27th season. Considering that Groening's last non-Simpsons foray gave us Futurama, one of the *other* greatest animated shows of all time, it's safe to say that there will be a high bar of expectations for whatever he settles on for Netflix.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2016/01/matt-groening-animated-comedy-series-netflix-1201684100/]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'd watch it! Knowing Matt Greoning, he creates (or helps create) fantastic early seasons before the show slowly decays, so at least the First 3 seasons should be fantastic!

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
For a second my mind ghost read that Groening died, please prefix articles with "Didn't die" for a while

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Can it be called Fotorama and be centered around Linder, Bleela, Kry and Noiberg?

Joking aside, if the last trip outside brought us Futurama, I can't wait.

Kreett said:
For a second my mind ghost read that Groening died, please prefix articles with "Didn't die" for a while
Oh man, for a moment I thought the same thing. I was horrified and didn't realize I carried such feelings for a guy who I now realize has been behind so much entertainment for me.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I have really high hopes for this. Fingers crossed its a fantasy comedy of some kind cause that'd be great.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Lightknight said:
Can it be called Fotorama and be centered around Linder, Bleela, Kry and Noiberg?

Joking aside, if the last trip outside brought us Futurama, I can't wait.

Kreett said:
Oh man, for a moment I thought the same thing. I was horrified and didn't realize I carried such feelings for a guy who I now realize has been behind so much entertainment for me.
Jeeze, this might be a running theme in this thread.

O.T. I wonder if he can use the Simpson's aesthetic like Futurama did or if Fox owns that too. I do not like the Simpsons but I am impartial to the style.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Matt Groening for MCU confirmed!

<.<

Seriously, though, I'll be interested in seeing what he does with it.

Redlin5 said:
This is a better fit for Netflix than Adam Sandler.
I'm trying to think of worse fits.

...I got nothin'.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
After reading "Simpsons Creater Matt Groening" I was expecting the title to finish "Has passed away".
Happy that it didn't.

I was never a huge Simpsons fan but did love the original run of Futurama, so excited to see what he does.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
You can add me to the list of people that worried about Groening dying after just seeing the headline swiftly.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
He's still alive? I thought he died years ago. Someone died, though, didn't they? Around about when the show stopped being so funny?

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
Barbas said:
He's still alive?
Funny, I opened this thread to make this exact post. Everyone seems to be thinking the same.

I get the feeling that "The Simpsons" has been largely out of Matt's hands for a while, often when an Intellectual Property gets syndicated the official "owner" is the party that bought it- in this case, Fox. I think Charles Shultz, at the end of his career, didn't own the rights to Peanuts.

Futurama was consistently strong through it's lifetime, and unlike The Simpsons, didn't effectively become what earlier seasons would have parodied (see: Simpsons episodes that were basically 22 minute commercials for Apple or Lady ga ga, etc.)

That said... one last Stephen Hawking cameo in a Groening cartoon? It's just goddamn magic, a person who has practically no way to express himself somehow makes comedy gold. "I call it a Hawking hole. I discovered it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-p8s_HCCo

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Flathole said:
Funny, I opened this thread to make this exact post. Everyone seems to be thinking the same.
Perhaps what was really meant was that The Simpsons was dead - it would explain a fair amount.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Barbas said:
He's still alive? I thought he died years ago. Someone died, though, didn't they? Around about when the show stopped being so funny?
You're thinking of Sam Simon. The guy who died and left his fortune to organizations that make homeless dogs into seeing eye dogs.

In my opinion the show has gotten funnier over the past couple of years though some of that was overlapped with him still being there. So I don't think that relates to his departure specifically and it may be highly subjective.