Simpsons' Edna Krabappel To Retire After Actress Death

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Simpsons' Edna Krabappel To Retire After Actress Death

Ned Flanders is about to lose another wife.

Actress Marcia Wallace, the voice of Simpsons regular Edna Krabappel, has died aged 70 from complications related to breast cancer. Wallace, who got her start with improv and off-Broadway shows, first caught mainstream attention in The Bob Newhart Show, as receptionist Carol Kester. She's been playing Krabappel since 1990, and earned an Emmy Award for her portrayal. She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1985, and has been a prominent advocate for early cancer detection ever since.

Series showrunner Al Jean confirmed that Edna Krabappel would retire from The Simpsons, without saying precisely how it would be done. Krabappel is currently married to Ned Flanders, who lost his first wife in a t-shirt cannon accident at the Springfield Speedway. Jean also confirmed that, though there is a "potential storyline" in which a Springfield character would pass away, it was never intended to be Marcia's Edna Krabappel.

"Marcia's passing is unrelated," he went on to say, "and a terrible loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing her."

Source: Al Jean statement [https://www.facebook.com/TheSimpsons/posts/10151751306093697]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Really liked the episodes with Krabappel, they were usually more grounded on the characters themselfs with the usual relationship with Bart or the love life of Homer and Marge.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
It's been years since I watched the Simpsons, but I remember some of my favourite episodes being Edna-centric ones. She always felt like one of the most grounded and three-dimensional characters; and yes, the voice acting was superb.

Very sad news. Is this the first VA they've had pass away since the guy who voiced Troy?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
It's been years since I watched the Simpsons, but I remember some of my favourite episodes being Edna-centric ones. She always felt like one of the most grounded and three-dimensional characters; and yes, the voice acting was superb.

Very sad news. Is this the first VA they've had pass away since the guy who voiced Troy?
Yep, and only the third in the series' entire run. Wow... I just realized how much of my life has had the Simpsons surround it...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Dang... I was always a fan of the character and it's both sad and well... reverent that they plan to retire the character now that the voice is gone.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That was Edna Krabappel, you don't get a second chance with Edna Krabappel...

That's extremely sad, I'll miss the irate exclamation of Bart! Although after twenty five odd years, this is going to be a problem the Simpsons is going to face more and more frequently.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
'I must leave you. Why, I cannot say. Where, you cannot know. How I will get there, I haven't decided yet. But one thing I can tell you, any time I hear the wind blow, it will whisper the name 'Edna'. And so, let us part with a love that will echo through the ages.'

Farewell to a great actor.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
It's sad to see a talented actor die before her time. Cancer's a *****.

This is a shame, she really was a great character. A sarcastic, pessimistic, intelligent and well grounded teacher. Anything they replace her just won't be the same.

Now I wonder how they'll retire the character. They did make a joke about how Homer killed her by accident and Ned married Maude's ghost. Hopefully Homer won't be the cause of his second wife's death...

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I'll miss her "Hah!" laugh, it was perfectly mirthless.

Rest in Peace Marcia.

Shame they're taking Krabappel out of the show. She was probably one of my favourite characters.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This is very sad news indeed and I'm glad they respect her enough not to try and replace her, like Phil Hartman. Makes me would if they'll outright finish the show is one the heavy hitters passes away.

I also wonder how it will work storyline wise with Flanders.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I heard the speculation that Edna would die just to screw over Flanders again, but to hear that the "marked one" is unrelated to Marcia's passing is quite creepy.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wow that's... really depressing. And considering her character's been part of the show ever since it began, it won't be easy to retire the role.

Rest in peace ma'am...

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
That's really sad and... actually pretty shocking. I don't watch the Simpsons much, and for a show as long-running as it is this was bound to happen, but it's still a huge gutpunch. Rest in peace Marcia.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
BigTuk said:
So wait? let me get this straight... the voice actor for a character dies so they choose not to use the character? That seems like a little ass-backwards. I mean did warner brothers stop using bugs, daffy, sylvester, tweety, etc after Mel Blanc died?

Just seems like a bit of a pointless waste, or rather that the character was probably just that disposable. There's likely no shortage of voice talent that could fill the role.
Not only that, but it makes me think. What if another voice actor dies, an important one at that. Would that mean mean the end for the Simpsons?

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Marcia was a great actress and Edna is one of my top favorite characters from the simpsons.

May she Rest in peace

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
BigTuk said:
So wait? let me get this straight... the voice actor for a character dies so they choose not to use the character? That seems like a little ass-backwards. I mean did warner brothers stop using bugs, daffy, sylvester, tweety, etc after Mel Blanc died?

Just seems like a bit of a pointless waste, or rather that the character was probably just that disposable. There's likely no shortage of voice talent that could fill the role.
Which would you rather? That Edna is disposable or that Marcia Wallace is disposable?

You can only pick one. (Hint: the real person is not disposable)

If you simply replace her in the role of Edna than it shows she's just a replaceable voice actress.

If you ask me, she MADE the character.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
WhiteFangofWar said:
'I must leave you. Why, I cannot say. Where, you cannot know. How I will get there, I haven't decided yet. But one thing I can tell you, any time I hear the wind blow, it will whisper the name 'Edna'. And so, let us part with a love that will echo through the ages.'
I saw that episode last night and was going to quote that. Darn.

I always liked Edna as a character, I'll miss her.