Sims 3 Leaked Online

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sims 3 Leaked Online

It looks like The Sims 3 [http://thesims3.ea.com/] has been leaked onto torrent sites a full two weeks before its scheduled release.

Rumors of the leak were first reported by Casualgaming.biz [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/05/18/sims-3-leaked] says it has identified "a number of trackers" linking to the file, 4.9 gigabytes in size, as well as comments on some trackers discussing Sims 3 gameplay. Several users on The Pirate Bay have claimed that this is in fact the real deal.

Response to the leak from gamers has ranged from disappointment that the game was pirated so early despite SoftSailor [http://www.ea.com] appeared to take a more celebratory approach, saying, "It can't get any better than this for gamers."

EA's recent moves toward DRM detente apparently haven't made much of an impression on the pirate community, although given the high rates of piracy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91001-Demigod-Piracy-Running-High] experienced even by vociferously anti-DRM publishers like Stardock, it's not terribly surprising. Despite the high-minded claims of many file-sharers, at the end of the day piracy is about little more than greed and an overinflated sense of entitlement.

Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the alleged leak.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
ExaltedK9 said:
how depressing...
I agree. I know the world is filled with all sorts of people, but really. It takes a jerk to pirate games. Whatever happened to supporting things we liked with our money?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
The sims 3 will still make enough money to buy half of England, at work we sold 5 computers in the last month alone with the sole intention of using them to play the sims 3. But its the principle that counts and the pirates are encouraging Ea to use Dracaion DRM by doing this sort of thing. They are greedy twats who will happily undermine the cause they and so many of us have worked on.
But its also obvious there is an insider that Ea need to find and fast.

SigmondK

Jul 17, 2008
Hithlain said:
ExaltedK9 said:
how depressing...
I agree. I know the world is filled with all sorts of people, but really. It takes a jerk to pirate games. Whatever happened to supporting things we liked with our money?
I wonder how many of those pirates are from countries that typically are high risk for piracy. Though granted you're going to have a whole bunch of people that want something for nothing. Would be nice if EA released a demo for this, but then again Sims wasn't really ever my thing either so meh.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Seriously this is just crazy. Well EA here is to the next round of incredibly strict DRM.

johnman said:
The sims 3 will still make enough money to buy half of England, at work we sold 5 computers in the last month alone with the sole intention of using them to play the sims 3. But its the principle that counts and the pirates are encouraging Ea to use Dracaion DRM by doing this sort of thing. They are greedy twats who will happily undermine the cause they and so many of us have worked on.
But its also obvious there is an insider that Ea need to find and fast.
I agree with everything you say except I am not so sure where the leak would be because with 2 weeks left that means that the game would have been in pressing already and packaging etc. etc. So who knows where the leak would end up being that will be a fun one for them to track down.

Fionnabard

Oct 22, 2008
I pre-ordered it when I found out there was no DRM on it. Now, I figure every expansion pack they make for it will involve some insane copy protection... Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Samman

Mar 19, 2009
It's sad to see the game getting pirated so early when EA (OF ALL COMPANIES) stepped down from DRMing their games.

PeaceFistCreations

Feb 19, 2009
Hithlain said:
ExaltedK9 said:
how depressing...
You don't have to be evil to be cheap or want free stuff.
It is a shame people steal things, but this particular situation isn't much to fret over. EA will still make tons of money with this game no matter what.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Malygris said:
...while Romanian site SoftSailor [http://www.softsailor.com/news/3064-the-sims-3-leaked-on-torrent-websites-two-weeks-before-its-launch.html] appeared to take a more celebratory approach, saying, "It can't get any better than this for gamers."
Maybe it's just the developer in me, but comments like that make me want to murder animals and small children. How, exactly, is it a good thing to have people spend years of their life developing a form of entertainment only to have their hard work leaked and stolen? We bust our asses to pull these things together, but the end-user seems to like to view us as the devil...and you can't help but imagine that we view them the same way at times like this.