Since launching 20 years ago in December 1994, what's your favorite PlayStation memory so far?

GBaxter

Dec 19, 2010
With PlayStation having launched 20 years ago in December 94, what's your favorite serious or humorous memory of PS in the last 20 years, be it something very funny happening while you were going to buy a game, or while you were playing one, or something you saw happen to someone else.

It doesn't matter if you weren't even born in, or before 1994, although it'd help if you were.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Missed out on the Playstation 1, and 2. Was a Gameboy, SNES, N64, and Gamecube guy. Nintendo basically. Didn't jump aboard the Playstation brand, until the PS3, after owning a 360 and PC first. So, no real nostalgia here, but damn do I ever love importing Japanese titles for my PS3, like Sengoku Basara and Monster Hunter. The HD collections like Metal Gear Solid and the remake of Final Fantasy X are nice to own. X and MGS2/3 were huge titles back in the PS2 era, so it was cool to finally play them.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Back when I was a kid, we didn't have a Sony-brand memory card. What this meant was that Final Fantasy VIII is the one game I've re-started more than any other. Other games, like Metal Gear Solid, are also games that I've had to re-start over and over again.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I remember playing the system at Sears running a demo disk with EPSN Extreme Sports.
Coming off of the 16-bit stuff, the graphics in that were mind-blowingly unbelievable.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Probably the time my best friend and I pulled an all-nighter smashing the first Soul Reaver. That was a really good night. Also I have fond memories of playing Smuggler's Run 2 while listening to music, in particular Ill Nino's first album. Oddly enough, I remember that very well.

Edit: Also a recent one that will stick with me for awhile. I got drunk with said best friend and played Far Cry 4 all night. We even conquered two of those military fortresses way before we were meant to, just by killing them all.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
For me, I grew up with Sony after SEGA dropped out of the console race. In all honesty, Sony introduced me to a wide variety of franchises and genre that I love. Of course when it was still the PS1 though, that didn't stop kids from teasing me because I had a PS1 instead of an N64, and bar a few games I feel I got the better deal in the end.

One memory I have was playing Crash Team Racing with my cousin, and trying to beat Papu Papu but never being able to do so.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I was late to the PS1 era but that was mostly because the initial line of games didn't look much better than the SNES/Genesis at the time. It wasn't til later on that the 3d aspect of the PS1 was in full effect and by then I'd already bought into (and rightly loved) the N64. I ended up getting a PS1 around '98 or so because of FF7 and the then upcoming FF8, both of which I still play today. And of course there's a lot more from the PS1 era I love, MegaMan Legends are two of my all time favorites.
So much memories, some late night Tekken 3 parties with my brothers... Final Fantasy IX marathons where we had a crapload of trouble with the final boss. Good times though sadly one of my brothers passed away 3 years ago. To this day any time Tekken is played I'll pick Hworang in honor of my brother who was a fucking beast with that cheap ass character.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I never owned a Playstation but I used to go to my mates house and play Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped and taking it in turns trying to beat the Great Wall of China level where you ride a tiger cub.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So many good ones, but there are three that stand out. The first one would be when I first sat down to play Final Fantasy VIII. That intro is amazing (I still say it's one of the greatest intros ever), the graphics for it were unbelievable, and then the game started. So many memories from that game, like the music that plays when you storm the beach. I have that on my i-pod.

Next up would be Final Fantasy VII. Yes, I grew up when that game came out. Yes, I'm one of those people. The game was that good and that amazing at the time.

Finally, when I bought the PS2 with my own money. Not begging my parents, not asking as a gift. I walked into Target with my hard-earned cash from my job and I bought it, along with Kingdom Hearts. That feeling of knowing that this was mine now, with my own money, was something I will never forget.

As a side note, I also remember opening up a Christmas present from my Grandmother. It was addressed to me and my brother, and while we were excited for a gift, we weren't expecting anything too fantastic. You know how grandparents can be sometimes. So naturally we both fell completely silent for a few seconds when the gift turned out to be Final Fantasy IX. And then we started jumping up and down because we hadn't asked her for it, hadn't even mentioned it to our parents. We were simply thrilled to get the game, because it had just come out and we had figured we'd just have to wait for it.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
pearcinator said:
I never owned a Playstation but I used to go to my mates house and play Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped and taking it in turns trying to beat the Great Wall of China level where you ride a tiger cub.
I remember that level. I played it so much that not only did manage to get the platinum ankh for the time trial, I beat the required time by several seconds. I was so proud of myself.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I remember buying Playstation when it first came out (and I remember my parents buying NES).
The three games that come immediately to mind are Tekken 3, Toshinden 4 and Final Fantasy VII, good times.

Other than Syphon Filter I can't remeber any other game.
I might just be getting too old.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Still, playing Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee for the first time on my very own brand new Playstation.

Others include:

- Playing Tekken 3 with my sisters and kicking their ass.
- Playing Resident Evil 2 after coming home from my paper route.
- First time playing Onimusha Warlords on a rented Playstation 2. Fucking Japanese people actually looked Japanese, holy shit!
- Silent Hill 2... Nuff said.

That and buying magazines just for the demo's.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Playing Final a Fantasy IX, just the whole thing really. I still play through it fairly regularly. Actually, that's something I might do for Christmas.

Also, playing CTR with my cousins was always a good time. I was one of those idiots who used to move the controller as if it were a steering wheel. XD

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Well, I do have a funny story concerning the first game I ever owned for the system. So my best friend at the time was a PC gamer and I usually would go over to his house and watch him play War Craft 2 or Fallout and stuff.

So when my dad took me out to Zellers to finally own my first game for my new system I saw Diablo and was like yeah I know that game from watching Matt play it. I want dat!

So he bought it, we got home and I was anxious to play it. Ran into some trouble though because damn it I couldn't get it out of the case. So I hand it over to my father thinking adults have magical powers and can do anything I can't. My dad gave it his best but that fucking disk would just not come out and then SNAP! The thing snaps in two heh I have been anxious about this happening again any time a disk shows me any real resistance.

To avoid this with the second one my dad snapped some of the teeth on that...whatever the hell you call those things that are in the middle of disk cases.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Metal Gear Solid.

Just the whole thing. It was just such a huge deal and there had been nothing like it before.

Also demo discs.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Tough one. The PlayStation has been my platform of choice since the late days of the PS1. Gonna be next to impossible to just pick a single one.

I suppose I might mention the time I casually told a neighbor's kid that Final Fantasy VII was the best game ever. [small](This was about a year after it came out, so I hadn't played Grandia or Final Fantasy IX yet.)[/small]

About a week later, he calls me and says he urgently needs my help with something. Turns out he had gotten his parents to buy him a copy of Final Fantasy VII (having established on the best possible authority that no better game could be obtained) - and now he couldn't understand it. At all. He was years below the intended target group and had no understanding of English.

So over the next few months, I came over to his house several times a week and basically guided him through the entire game while translating every bit of text to him. Being a seasoned FFVII - veteran even then, experiencing the game through my little buddy's eyes almost felt like playing it for the first time all over again.

The whole experience left a lasting impression on both of us. The kid, now rapidly approaching 20 and heavily steeped in WoW, recently bought good ol' FFVII from Steam for another playthrough.

While I do have another story you'd probably like, it's a pretty long one - and I've also mentioned it before. None the less, for the sake of completion, here it is again:

It was back in those days when the PS2 was the hottest thing on the market, and it had just gotten cheap enough that I decided to buy one. I saved up some money, took the time to finish the last of my PS1 games, and off I went to my favorite video store. At the counter stood the owner himself, the greatest video store owner I know. "One PS2, please!" I said, and he came up with a very surprising answer:

"Sorry - we're out!"

Well, THAT was unexpected. You see, I have never been a technology freak. I have never seen a commercial for some new gadget and screamed, "I NEED one of those - N O W ! ! !" I played Super Mario World on the SNES until PS1s became available at the grocery store, a large stack of them being displayed next to the cheap VHS movies. I used my first portable telephone for nine years. I had just assumed that, since the PS2 had gotten old enough to look interesting to me, any major fuss about it would almost certainly have died down.

Anyway, the video store owner said he was expecting a new shipment next week. Sure enough, the shipment arrived on time - but in the meantime I had spent some of the money I needed, and asked him to hold one PS2 for me until I got my next paycheck a few days later.

He agreed to this, but forgot to notify his staff or something, so when I showed up that Friday, money in hand, the PS2s were sold out again.

Then, he ordered another PS2 just for me and called me when it arrived. It was Thursday afternoon, and I knew I would be too busy to pick it up during the weekend. "Great", I said, "I'll pick it up next week!"

So, the following Monday, I showed up at the shop - much to the owner's surprise, as he had assumed that "next week" meant some time around the MIDDLE of the week. Around the time he was expecting another regular shipment of PS2s. And so, he had expected that it would be perfectly OK for him to sell my PS2 to someone else. Hooray.

And the next shipment was severely delayed! Wohoo!

Now let's skip back to day 1 of this process. I came home with no PS2. As I mentioned before, I had already finished (or given up on) all my old PS1 games, and had some difficulty trying to decide what to play. As I went through my stash of PS1 games, I came across a game I'd almost forgotten that I owned. I had given up on it because I got to a boss that I simply couldn't beat.

That game was the original Grandia.

I vaguely remembered that, until that one boss made me ragequit, I'd been having considerable fun. I decided to start over, beef up the characters a bit more than last time, and take another whack at the foul beast. Thanks to the intuitive combat system, I remembered right away how it worked.

It soon occurred to me that, on my first playthrough, I had been unaccustomed to the combat system and, consequently, tried to avoid combat as much as possible. My theory that this may have been why that boss was so tough, was confirmed a few days later, when I realized that I was way past the point where the boss creature appears - and couldn't remember having fought it! With some effort, I did remember an encounter with something kind of boss-like that died after three attacks or so.

Once the unbeatable boss had been dealt with, the forgotten joy of Grandia hit me full force. I was overjoyed by the colorful, richly varied landscapes. The urge to explore welled up within me (incidentally the same urge which motivates the protagonist, Justin, to travel the land in the first place). I was now well and truly in love with Grandia, and I eagerly kept playing to see where the story would take me next.

After a month or so, I finally got a PS2 - and found myself playing nothing but Grandia for ANOTHER month!
I should note that Grandia remains my all-time favorite game to this day - and that I might never have known it if I had been able to get a PS2 right away!

Irregular Dice

Mar 27, 2014
When I was 10, I got FFVII for Christmas; I woke up very early and started playing it. Before I knew it, it was already dawn. One of my first gaming binges

Sep 14, 2009
gonna have to toss my hat in with FFVII as well, I didn't have the game but my uncle did, and he let me borrow it since he had beaten it already. Fuck I remember being so awed by the beginning cutscene, as a mere 7 year old at the time the game was pretty tough to know what to do at some points (hell even navigating the 2d backgrounds was a pain sometimes when you were supposed to jump from a ledge even though it wasn't obvious you were supposed to) but I was so intrigued by the game that I pushed through it in any free time I had. I remember the aerith scene I had my jaw literally dropped, a few tears were shed and I was pissed as shit that I had gone through all the trouble of grinding her up in levels to only have her die. I remember that was the first time my parents had me set aside a game for a while (of course they happened to be walking by the room when I threw my little fit about that) because they didn't think games were able to cause such things back then.

there was also the time that I was scared out of my pants watching my uncle play resident evil when it first came out, he would specifically get very close to the zombies just to watch me squirm.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Never having had a playstation myself (except a psp, which I didn't enjoy much at all), it would be going over to a friend's place where I played on a ps1 or ps2 and the controllers were painful to hold.