Single-Player Paxton Fettel Revealed for F.E.A.R. 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Single-Player Paxton Fettel Revealed for F.E.A.R. 3

In honor of Valentine's Day, WBIE has revealed that the roguish and romantic Paxton Fettel will be unlockable and playable in the single-player campaign of F.E.A.R. 3 [http://www.amazon.com/F-R-3-Pc/dp/B003GSZAOY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297713332&sr=8-3].

You remember Paxton Fettel, right? He was/is the Warner Brothers Interactive [http://www.amazon.com/F-R-First-Encounter-Assault-Pc/dp/B0000ZUGZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297713385&sr=8-2] confirmed today that Fettel, who became more powerful than we could possibly imagine after the Point Man put a large caliber bullet through his forehead, would be a playable character in the game's single-player campaign.

Fettel will be unlocked in each of the game's levels after it has first been played through as the Point Man. "Paxton Fettel offers a unique single player experience focused on his supernatural abilities giving players a new way to play through the level in a way that's different from Point Man's enhanced super soldier abilities," WBIE said. "In the single player campaign, Fettel will wield his telekinetic abilities to suspend, possess, stun or crush enemies."

Fettel's talents are on display in the new single-player F.E.A.R. 3 trailer but while he's certainly adept at turning heavily-armed soldiers into goo, I'm really not getting much of a F.E.A.R. vibe off of it. Doesn't turning the player into an immortal, super-powered telepath sort of run against the whole idea of the F.E.A.R. franchise - or at least, as it's becoming increasingly apparent, the first F.E.A.R. game? After all, if I can pop a man like a zit with a wave of my hand, I'm not going to be too worried about whatever little creepy-crawly it is that's waiting for me at the end of a dark corridor.

F.E.A.R. 3 is currently slated for launch in May on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Looks pretty cool.
Just let us on PC without widescreen play without big ol' black bars and I'll be happy.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Perhaps Paxton's "OP" status has something to do with the fact that you have to beat each level before you can play as him. Plus, I remember hearing some where that he can't take much gunfire, to compensate for his telekinetic attacks.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
That gameplay looks to remind me of Psi Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy (but FPS), so hopefully it should be fun.

The only trouble is like Mr Chalk says; how well will Psychic Rambo play in a game designed around gunplay and atmosphere?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is not actually news. I knew about this around September of last year. Now everyone knows though!!! I am looking forward to this game, just so I can see the end of what happens with Alma.

Sonicron said:
Yeah, that's not FEAR. That's Bulletstorm: Dark'n'Gritty Edition.
FEAR was never really scary, the game had it's jump moments, but it was never "scary". This one would probably be about the same as the previous, but they simply show some action packed parts they can't go ruining the few parts that would make you jump. Every FEAR game had parts that were extremely action packed.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
This was announced about 4 months ago in 360 magazine.

It's also going to have co-op. So much for being afraid.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I stopped liking Fettel after he killed the hot blond in the first game. I so badly wanted her to live.

Still though his voice is cool, so is how calm he is about everything.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
God this game looks like it's going to be bad. It's such a shame, too--the first game had such potential.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
MiracleOfSound said:
Do you have a link? I'm curious as to whether it's actually the same thing, since WBIE just issued the announcement today.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Smooth talker? Sexy? He eats people! The first scene in FEAR was him eating that security guard. How does that make him the new hotness?

Anyway, completely turned off of this game after I found out Warner Bros. dropped Monolith from the project. From everything I've seen it doesn't even look like FEAR anyway. As far as i'm concerned this game is non-canon, like the FEAR 1 expansion packs.
Actually I believe Monolith has at least some input on this, though I'm not sure how much.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Wait... so are you playing as Point Man in F.E.A.R. 3? Or is this another guy named Point Man?

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Do you have a link? I'm curious as to whether it's actually the same thing, since WBIE just issued the announcement today.
DevilWolf47 said:
Uh... we knew that Fettel would be playable months ago. This isn't really news.
yeah. weird that this is getting repeated as news. in fact, you guys reported it yourselves as rumors http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98041-F-E-A-R-3-Details-Leaked-Online and heres an article from another site dating back to june of last year confirming ithttp://www.gamershell.com/news_97750.html

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
MiracleOfSound said:
No sorry man, it was in a good old fashioned paper magazine! It was either X360 mag or XBOX360 World or one of those.

They had a huge write up on how there will be online and split-screen co-op where one player controls Paxton and how they're trying to make it still scary even with a buddy.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The announcement in those links stated that Paxton would be available in cooperative multiplayer. WBIE announced today that he'll be available for solo play in the single-player campaign. See the difference?