Siren Blood Curse better than Silent Hill ? A brief comparison :

Laerid

May 29, 2008
I would like to start by saying that I'm a Silent Hill fanboy, finished all of them except the one on psp and my favorite, and one of the best games ever, is Silent Hill 2.

And then I played Siren Blood Curse.

The demo on PSN really didn't impress me ; mediocre graphics for a next-gen game, "shibitio" aka zombies more funny than scary and confusing surroundings turned me off.

Out of boredom, sheer curiosity and because Eurogamer gave it a 8/10 and Famitsu 36/40, I decided to pay 30 euros for it, and I haven't yet regreted it.

About a third into the game, it gets really interesting (about act 4-5) with a silent hill-esque plot twist that gave me chills for the first time in a long while.
I'm trying not to spoil anything here, but trust me when I say the script and especially the story-telling/directing has a silent-hill quality to it than even certain Silent Hill games lack.

SILENT HILL 4 SPOILERS but SIREN SPOILERS-FREE !!!

Haven't finished it yet (epsiode 7 out of 12, I like to enjoy the game) , but from what I've played so far I'm really impressed and it feels more and more like a better Silent Hill 4 : The room.

I say this because SH4 had great potential and could've been amazing ; I loved the general idea of the game : trapped in your appartement, locked from the inside, only way out is into this weird parallel dimension populated with strange creatures. Great concept ; poor execution, especially the backtracking through the same 4-5 levels.

- The backtracking had absolutely NO SENSE plot-wise, and the levels were virtually the same.
- Combat was shitty - as always you could say - but in this one combat was much more present and they did nothing do improve it. You COULD've avoided it, and you SHOULD've when the ghosts started to pop up, but it felt more like a speed-run than a gameplay choice.
- Story telling in general, and especially through the eyes of the main character, was good, but lacked a little "je ne sais quoi" that could have made it great and SH worthy.
- Monsters were crap (a first in the SH series IMO) and the only "original" thing were the immortal ghosts that followed you even in your appartment.

As for Siren, the basic idea is a bit unoriginal and sounds much like a slasher-movie plot : a bunch of americans get lost in a forest near a strange/cursed japanese village with scary things in it.
But it's what it evolvs into that's really amazing and done in a surprisingly good manner.

- It has some backtracking, but unlike SH4 it fits perfectly into the plot and the surroundings change. Also, the fact that you swich characters whenever you backtrack means that the gameplay also changes.

- Combat, when present, ruins the game. You + a gun *cough* infinite ammo *cough* = god. This is the only grief I have with the game, but I suppose it's meant to be this way so that it lowers the tension and sense of vulnerability present throughout the game.
When "unavailable" (you can technically fight anyway, but there's no point in doing so) the game becomes a VERY well done game of hide-and-seek, in part thanks to the "monster-cam" feature that really adds to the growing pressure, with the possibility to ambush monsters and lay down traps. The only survival-horror game that attempted this kind of gameplay style was HAUNTING GROUNDS on the PS2 (and, offcourse, the previous 2 Siren games)

- Story-telling is really the thing that blew me away ; just like the new ALONE IN THE DARK, the story is told in episodes (12), but where Alone horribly failed, Siren succeeded. Except for the very first episode (that last 5 f****ng minutes) the story is well distrubuted throughout the episodes, whith a nice little cliff-hanger at the end of each episode (they're so cliché that you gotta love'em!) that keeps you coming back for more.
The characters are all great, the language barrier (japanese/english) adds to the immersion and the objects you discover in the game really help you know each character better.

- Monsters are... very, very good. I really don't want to spoil, but there are more than just shibito out there. They're not quite as good as pyramid-head or the twitching-faceless humanoids in SH, but there's a theme in SH that I also found in Siren that's very well exploited here : the wheelchair... I'll let you discover this one out.

The two franchises deliver the same kind of fear/disgust in a similar dark and "dirty" universe. The latest Siren is closer than ever to that "SH" quality that Silent Hill 1&2 gave us, delivering the experience in a better way than the latest episodes of the SH franchise, episodes that were too busy swimming in fanboy money to actually deliver a new and exciting SH experience.

So is Siren Blood Curse better than Silent Hill? In my opinion, it's better than half of them i.e. SH3 and 4 and is an overall great survival/horror game, all this for half the price of a normal game. I strongly recommend it to any SH fan!

What do you think, could Siren become the new Silent Hill (Siren Hill) ???

P.S. One thing that Siren will never beat SH at, is its incredible music. Siren has mediocre music, nothing original. SH has and I hope allways will have excellent music.

------- Edit ----------

I've beaten Siren BC a couple of months ago, so I can now complete the comparison. (Spoilers-FREE).

The ending feels a bit tacked-on. I also believe it really needed multiple endings, because the one they kept simply wasn't 'it' for me. Replay value is pretty much null, except if you want to find out more about a misterious rabbit monster (that scares the f***k out of me, mostly because of the movie Donny Darko). Other than that, at least in my opinion, there's little to no incentive to beating the game all-over again.

Going back to the SH4 comparison, its' endings were alot better. The last levels were also better than the final levels in Siren BC, wich I feel redeemed quite alot SH4's repetitive main levels.

In Conclusion, Siren BC is a surprising roller-coaster ride ; going from slasher-movie plot, to a complex and deep story evolving around a misterious curse, about love, duty, doom and inevitability.
It's also going from amazingly detailed levels with trully disturbing vistas, to poorly designed, invisible-walls laden levels not to mention my personal grief, a couple of pretty crappy final levels.
But the gameplay mechanics, characters and overall feel of the game are great, wich makes Siren a compelling alternative (successor?) to the SH franchise.

Ixus Illwrath

Feb 9, 2008
Siren is to japan-centric to really catch on as more than a curiosity in the states.

But Silent Hill has been slipping gradually after each game. Not that all of them (except the PSP abomination) don't have some pretty powerful merits, they just don't push the envelope as hard as they did in the first game.

Siren can be pretty suspensful, but IMO the enemies are a little retarded. Gun-toting zombies? C'mon, that doesn't make for a journey into the existential and the macabre. The ghosts that are killed with flashlights are pretty cool in an Iko sorta way, though.

Laerid

May 29, 2008
Ixus Illwrath said:
Siren is to japan-centric to really catch on as more than a curiosity in the states.

But Silent Hill has been slipping gradually after each game. Not that all of them (except the PSP abomination) don't have some pretty powerful merits, they just don't push the envelope as hard as they did in the first game.

Siren can be pretty suspensful, but IMO the enemies are a little retarded. Gun-toting zombies? C'mon, that doesn't make for a journey into the existential and the macabre. The ghosts that are killed with flashlights are pretty cool in an Iko sorta way, though.
You're right and I agree with you when you say that Siren is a bit too japan-centered, but in my opinion, that was true for the first 2 games, not this one, simply because the main characters are american.

This means that westerners can identify themselves more easily to at least one of the many characters present in the game, and I truly believe it has its chances to become popular in the west.
As for the monsters, thank goodness that the "gun-totting" zombies aren't the only enemies. There are far more interesting and twisted enemies (I'm thinking about a couple in particular) that i really don't want to spoil.

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks for the heads up on Siren Blood Curse. I thought it looked very Silent Hill but it was crossed with your stereotypical J-horror film so I was going to give it a miss. I might have to check it out now.

I am a huge Silent Hill fan and Silent Hill 2 for me is one of my favorite games of all time. That said Silent Hill 4: The Room did a lot of things wrong and I don't think you should use the worst of the series as a measuring stick for this new game. I appreciate Konami tried to do something different with The Room, but it was a step in the wrong direction. I'm similarly worried about Silent Hill: Homecoming in the fact that the main character actually has combat experience and it may lead to you feeling less helpless than you have in the other games. At least visually and thematically it seems to more congruent with SH1,2 & 3 though.

Laerid

May 29, 2008
It's been a while since I posted, but since the game is coming out on Blu-Ray, I decided posting a final post, hoping this will bump the thread a bit :). Soooo I've beaten Siren BC a couple of months ago (Spoilers-FREE).

The ending feels a bit tacked-on. I also believe it really needed multiple endings, because the one they kept simply wasn't 'it' for me. Replay value is pretty much null, except if you want to find out more about a misterious rabbit monster (that scares the f***k out of me, mostly because of the movie Donny Darko). Other than that, at least in my opinion, there's little to no incentive to beating the game all-over again.

Going back to the SH4 comparison, its' endings were alot better. The last levels were also better than the final levels in Siren BC, wich I feel redeemed quite alot SH4's repetitive main levels.

In Conclusion, Siren BC is a surprising roller-coaster ride ; going from slasher-movie plot, to a complex and deep story evolving around a misterious curse, about love, duty, doom and inevitability.
It's also going from amazingly detailed levels with trully disturbings vistas, to poorly desinged, invisible-walls laden levels not to mention my personal grief, a couple of pretty crappy final levels.
But the gameplay mechanics, characters and overall feel of the game are great, wich makes Siren a compelling alternative (successor?) to the SH franchise.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Siren is made by one of the developers of Silent Hills 1-3 and is based on one of the original ideas for SH1.

Also, SH4 didn't feel very much like an SH game because it wasn't originally intended as one. Team Silent started work on The Room, then halfway through changed a few location and character names and tacked the Silent Hill name on to make more money.

And worth noting, the episode system is one of the things that I felt AitD got most definitely right. I very much enjoyed the game for it and would like to see more game plots set out like that in future.

Remleiz

Jan 25, 2009
I love Siren blood curse!
but i just wish a PS3 version of Fatal frame/ Project zero is released :)

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Ixus Illwrath said:
I dunno, I really like it when things focus on actual Japanese culture rather than an anime pantimime.
I really like Japan, and dispite being a gamer, its not about the anime or video games. As a people, they're really interesting, and I feel more kinship to them than with Chinese culture. (Though I do love my Chinese friends to bits)

What system is it on? Do you wind up dying a lot?

Oh, and to the OP, that was a good and fair comparison. Kudos.

Laerid

May 29, 2008
Erana said:

Thank you very much! I was waiting for a while for some feedback on how I compared the two games.

Siren Blood Curse is exclusive to the Playstation 3 (wich is actually 'sort of' a remake of the first one) and it's available on the playstation network, the first two installments are available for playstation 2 at a reasonable price.

About the dying alot or not, I found the game pretty easy, that is if you play it the way its creators wanted you to play it:

The game is clearly meant to be played at a slow pace, kinda like a stealth game (metal gear with zombies if you will). Proof of this stealth aspect of the game is that you can do stealth kills if the enemy hasn't seen you (by the way, stealth killing with a video camera is pure videogame greatness).
If you blaze through the levels, jumping on every moving thing with the first blunt/sharp object you find, you'll die alot.

For example in one chapter, there's a sniper zombie (yeah, I know) overseeing an area where you're supposed to go; there's NO WAY you can take him down by force. You must find a way to bypass or distract him.

Oh, and you'll find out that the enemies in this game never stay down for too long....*evil look*

Johnny Xtreme

Jan 31, 2009
Laerid said:
Erana said:

Thank you very much! I was waiting for a while for some feedback on how I compared the two games.

Siren Blood Curse is exclusive to the Playstation 3 (wich is actually 'sort of' a remake of the first one) and it's available on the playstation network, the first two installments are available for playstation 2 at a reasonable price.

About the dying alot or not, I found the game pretty easy, that is if you play it the way its creators wanted you to play it:

The game is clearly meant to be played at a slow pace, kinda like a stealth game (metal gear with zombies if you will). Proof of this stealth aspect of the game is that you can do stealth kills if the enemy hasn't seen you (by the way, stealth killing with a video camera is pure videogame greatness).
If you blaze through the levels, jumping on every moving thing with the first blunt/sharp object you find, you'll die alot.

For example in one chapter, there's a sniper zombie (yeah, I know) overseeing an area where you're supposed to go; there's NO WAY you can take him down by force. You must find a way to bypass or distract him.

Oh, and you'll find out that the enemies in this game never stay down for too long....*evil look*

If you liked Blood Curse, get the first installment, Blood Curse was essentially just the first Siren redux. Its longer and much more frightening.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Blood Curse is a rehash of random bits of the original Siren. Some characters were combined/eliminated and/or replaced with new ones. The original is better in everything but graphics.

The puzzles were better, especially the one with the piggy bank! The characters were better, and there were better twists. Like with Shiro and Kei. The sightjacking was better looking, though the new one is cool in that you have picture in picture so you aren't standing around while doing it, and you don't have to "tune it in" all the time.

The levels in the new one are cannibalized from the better originals, sometimes almost exactly like with the little girl in the house. But a lot of the ones in the original were cut. Some of the coolest ones like when you have to use the blind girl's eyes, or with the teacher/reporter.

The final battle in the new one is very trippy though. The new one is also ridiculously easy if you have ANY kind of weapon as Shibito can be stun locked to "death" and stay down for like 5 or ten minutes it seems. In the original you ran unless you had a fire poker or a gun, and then they got back up like 2 min later or sooner sometimes.

But its rumored that they will make another, as they had a design a monster contest and all. I am still pissed that siren 2 never made it to america. Along with Fatal Frame 4!