Six New Pokemon Sun and Moon Creatures Detailed

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Mimikyu is my friend and I want a hundred of him.

(also that's actually a pretty sweet ability he has there, basically a free one-turn protect? That'll do wonders for switch-ins or being out-sped by a glass cannon, though whether it gets broken by secondary damage will be the important thing.)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
*Sees Mimikyu*
They are using fan art for the new game, aren't they? And people thought the past 2 generations had the worst Pokémon designs...

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
#1 Hey! A black and white Pikachu with doodles for a face!
#2 Hey! A Teddiursa who fell in some pink paint wearing black pajamas!
#3 Hey! A pink Hoppip!
#4 Hey! A wimpier version of Anorinth!
#5 Hey! Another random object they turned into a Pokemon!
#6 Hey! A rasta Rapidash! Or should I say... Rastapidash!

All cynicism aside, this might actually be the generation that gets me to buy a new pokemon game for the first time in 13 years. I haven't played a full pokemon game since Black, and even then I just breezed through the story.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
CaitSeith said:
*Sees Mimikyu*
They are using fan art for the new game, aren't they? And people thought the past 2 generations had the worst Pokémon designs...
If you read the description of Mimikyu on the official site, you'll understand why it looks the way it looks.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
Though, I can defend/rationalize Trubbish. Gen 5 was an odd generation, and they were trying to base the Unova region on New York, rather than Japan. That's why they tried to redesign literally every original Pokemon. Trubbish was this region's 'Grimer', Woobat and Swoobat were this region's Zubat and Golbat, Timburr was Machop, etc. Gen 5 was a "love it or hate it" generation.
Well, you are right that a good chunk of the gen 5 Pokemon were made to be successors to gen 1 Pokemon, but I would say 75 percent of the region's Pokedex features ones created to be totally brand new. But yeah, it's the love it or hate it generation sadly. I'm in the love it camp, it being my favorite set. I've put a lot of thought into it as to why, but I don't have any real ideas about why its so divisive.

OT: While this group of new Pokemon aren't the best, I really have enjoyed most of the new Pokemon shown off for this generation so far. Now I just hope they stop showing off Pokemon at this same rate. Say if there are 100 new Pokemon, we have already seen about 25 or so. I want to keep myself surprised, and going media blackout is nearly impossible when it comes to new Pokemon. When shown off, new ones are literally everywhere on the internet.

Something to keep in mind when it comes to Pokemon and their designs, the more you look into them, the better they get. Mimikyu is a good example of that, reading the story behind it is rather interesting, even if I wish it had made a different disguise. But I love that using Pikachu is a way of Pokemon making fun of themselves putting Pikachu on so much merchandise.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
Another thing that looks like Pikachu
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

They really have run out of ideas.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

...See, pretty much any Pokemon can sound mundane when you deliberately try to make it sound mundane, and completely ignore the theme or lore behind the Pokemon. Also, there is a good reason for the "thing that looks like Pikachu" to look like Pikachu (although I doubt you bothered to check), and Bounsweet is not a vegetable. It's based on the Mangosteen, which is a fruit. Nice try though.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Verrik said:
RedDeadFred said:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

...See, pretty much any Pokemon can sound mundane when you deliberately try to make it sound mundane, and completely ignore the theme or lore behind the Pokemon. Also, there is a good reason for the "thing that looks like Pikachu" to look like Pikachu (although I doubt you bothered to check), and Bounsweet is not a vegetable. It's based on the Mangosteen, which is a fruit. Nice try though.
You're right, I suppose I don't really care. It's just that they've also done these before.... They've done bears, they've done horses, they've done hardshell bug things, and they've done so many Pikachus (ya ya lore, whatever, you can make lore about anything, that doesn't mean it's not lazy design). The only one that's actually original in the universe (at least to my rather limited knowledge on the subject) is the fashion accessory.

Point is, I don't really care for the designs. It's fine if you do though.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
Verrik said:
RedDeadFred said:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

You're right, I suppose I don't really care. It's just that they've also done these before.... They've done bears, they've done horses, they've done hardshell bug things, and they've done so many Pikachus (ya ya lore, whatever, you can make lore about anything, that doesn't mean it's not lazy design). The only one that's actually original in the universe (at least to my rather limited knowledge on the subject) is the fashion accessory.

So, they can't make more than one horse or bear Pokemon? Haha, I don't get that. There are many different varieties and breeds of horses, bugs, and bears in the real world. Is it really such a surprise that there'd also be many types of animals that the majority of people are familiar with in the Pokemon world? It's not like their designs are so similar that you can't tell the difference between them... unless you're brain dead. Not to mention, a lot of these Pokemon that you say "have been done before" each play very different roles from each other in combat.

Also, just because YOU personally don't like a design, doesn't make it lazy. Mimikyu's back story is interesting, and it's a nice reference to the Pokemon 20th year anniversary.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Verrik said:
RedDeadFred said:
Verrik said:
RedDeadFred said:
A horse
A bear dipped in paint
A fashion accessory
Another hard bug
Another vegetable

A pile of sludge
A magnet
A duck with a leek
A seal
A ball of gas
A rock
A clam
A cat
A rat
A horse
A fox
A dog
A turtle

So, they can't make more than one horse or bear Pokemon? Haha, I don't get that. There are many different varieties and breeds of horses, bugs, and bears in the real world. Is it really such a surprise that there'd also be many types of animals that the majority of people are familiar with in the Pokemon world? It's not like their designs are so similar that you can't tell the difference between them... unless you're brain dead. Not to mention, a lot of these Pokemon that you say "have been done before" each play very different roles from each other in combat.

Also, just because YOU personally don't like a design, doesn't make it lazy. Mimikyu's back story is interesting, and it's a nice reference to the Pokemon 20th year anniversary.
Again, you can like them and their backstories if you want. I really don't mind. To me, Mimikyu is just another Pikachu lookalike because they have to do those every so often since it's the mascot of the series. And of course there are multiple types of animals in the real world, but that doesn't mean it isn't kind of boring in a video game that for me, is all about creatures with unique and interesting designs. It's probably why I haven't really cared about the series since Emerald. I just got bored of the designs. These are no different.

Anyway, from your aggressive tone, I can only assume I somehow offended you. That was not my intention, so I apologize if I somehow did. You are free to like their designs if you like, I will not judge you for it. I'm honestly surprised you even bothered to respond to my opinion since it's clear that I've lost interest in the series for quite some time. I suppose your next question is "why respond to the thread in the first place then?" Well, probably a mixture of boredom and mild curiosity. My curiosity. My curiosity was met with disappointment and for whatever reason, I felt compelled to share that disappointment. Dreadfully sorry about that. Know that I am not however disappointed in you or anyone else who do like the designs.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Thats... thats pedo bear in disguise...

Honestly thought.. i somehow cant get myselfe excited for pokemon games anymore... i mean every game is allmost exactly the same kept for one or two gimmicks that usually arent even part of the coregame.. wich has been the very same thing... get the arena badges... beat team rocket clone XYZ... get the increasingly absurd token legendary... beat the top 4... and your rival... a winrar is you!

Thats it... you do this every single game. The story is allways the same after 20+ years... everything else is just window dressing and key climpering features that get tossed away come the next game for even more unnecesary minigames and gimmicks...

But hey! SHE HAS A NEW HAT! *girly screams ensue*

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
The reason the games never change is because they're trying to keep the games relevant to kids. They want the next generation of kids to grow up with the same Pokemon games that a lot of us grew up with. So it never changes. It's also the reason why the Pokemon cartoon never changes formula.

Of course, there are the occasional games which break away from the formula to try something new with the IP. Pokemon Go, Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, and Conquest are a few examples.

This isn't something to say "here are reasons why you SHOULD like it". It's merely an explanation to why the core Pokemon formula hasn't changed in 20 years.
That doesnt mean that every single game has to have the same basic storyline of challanging the gym leaders while defeating the team rocket clone of the week and then becomming pokemon champion.

The coregame is collecting pokemon and using them in fights. Thats a solid foundation that you can do so much more with then repeating the very same game for over 20+ years... its just so... boring!

Even Zelda and Metroid games had more innovation in them then pokemon core games.

As for those other pokemon games: I see them more like sidegames.. like mariokart or brawl. Have little if anything to do with the main franchise and usually dont share any of the game mechanics, so in my eyes they dont count.