SJW Jim Sterling says Link has to be female and that violent video games promote rape culture.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008

So apparently some people saw the titles of some of jims latest videos and just assumed that because apparently Jim is a "confirmed SJW" that they didn't even have to watch the video before assuming what he would say and yelling at him about how he is wrong.
(the thread title is sarcasm if that wasn't clear)

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
He has no problem with Link not being a girl. He just finds the explenation why Link can't be a girl quite stupid.

Eh, i just read the rest of your post >. <

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Honestly why can't you anti SJWs just leave us the hell alone don't you know that SJWs want to censor everything and make safe spaces for black Muslim terrorists?[/sarcasm]

Yeah this outragey bullshit is just annoying. I've heard allot of people criticize Jim for some of his opinions about the DOA3 debacle which if you're familiar with Jim and what he does it's easy to see what conclusions he'll come up with. With Link being Female I've always thought that do to the androgyny that link typically has, a decision at the beginning to change the pronouns around is an excellent way to gender link. On violence I think it's just hard to make things engaging in video games without using violence or death.

tl;dr I largely agree with what Jim has to say on things with minor disagreements here and there.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Ok, well played with the thread title. That's how you bait fish right there son.

It's no surprise there was a backlash to his videos, and you can tell a lot of people were pre-judging them. Hell, I was personally more upset at the Link thing than Jim seemed to be, and I don't have a video series and a podcast where I spend upwards of ten minutes talking about representation and diversity.

And fuck it, that video on violence might be one of his best if you ask me. It's well argued and goes beyond the tired back and forthing of "video games promote violence/no they don't rah rah" to touch on an underlying issue within our culture, one I personally hadn't considered in detail before.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Nope. That won't work.
There's always outrage to found about anything on the internet. That's to be expected, but you cannot generalize and think it's gamers in general getting angry.

Jim's basicly just asking for more variety in triple-A games, but without shitting on the old stuff. That's okay. I don't favor retconning characters and having sequels ignoring what happened previous episodes, but it's only Legend of Zelda, so whatever.
Try harder.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Do... do the anti-SJW crowd not realize they could simply just ignore these opinion pieces?

It all goes back to Anita, she'd legit be just another unknown youtuber if people had just left well enough alone.

bleh, well whatever. Yeah Link can be female. Link's role in the game is completely modular, he's just a blank slate for us to project on to.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
inb4 thread is moved to GID.

I get the impression this thread is an attempt to shame "anti-SJW's." Thing is, this phenomenon isn't an "anti-SJW" thing...it's a homo sapiens thing. It's why outrage culture and clickbait is so prevalent online (which this thread contributes to...good job?).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Link is male. Case close. Just because he has some effeminate features in his face does not mean he can be morphed into female.

And besides he did not look that androgynous in certain art styles of him like Ocarina of Time:

People seems to forget that his "girly features" comes with youth because at his oldest Link is often portrayed as 17 years old.

Make him 30 and he will grow a beard and yes Hylians can grow beards:

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
chrissx2 said:
He has no problem with Link not being a girl. He just finds the explenation why Link can't be a girl quite stupid.

Eh, i just read the rest of your post >. <
Y'know, considering that this is exactly the kind of thread title I see posted all the time, unironically, on the GI forum, I was ready to type the same thing.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
veloper said:
Nope. That won't work.
There's always outrage to found about anything on the internet. That's to be expected, but you cannot generalize and think it's gamers in general getting angry.

Jim's basicly just asking for more variety in triple-A games, but without shitting on the old stuff. That's okay. I don't favor retconning characters and having sequels ignoring what happened previous episodes, but it's only Legend of Zelda, so whatever.
Try harder.
Sir, I believe you posted in the wrong thread. because no one said it was generalized to gamers.

And for "That won't work" and "try harder". What wont work? Try harder at what? I don't know what your talking about.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
inb4 thread is moved to GID.

I get the impression this thread is an attempt to shame "anti-SJW's." Thing is, this phenomenon isn't an "anti-SJW" thing...it's a homo sapiens thing. It's why outrage culture and clickbait is so prevalent online (which this thread contributes to...good job?).
Well yes that was the point. Make a purposely inflammatory title to get people to post without actually reading the content, but the actual thread topic is about how people post without reading (or watching in this case) the content. The double irony.

I only used this as the example because it is a recent event and because it's video game related. And that I knew that I'd probably get some bites considering the discussion on these forums.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
veloper said:
Nope. That won't work.

Try harder.
Sir, I believe you posted in the wrong thread. because no one said it was generalized to gamers.

And for "That won't work" and "try harder". What wont work? Try harder at what? I don't know what your talking about.
Why? Innocence of course. Try harder to look innocent. :p

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So...you're just kinda' baiting people?

That seems kinda'...pointless. And as someone who has been arguing with Jim Sterling on/off for almost a decade now, I never take anything he says seriously. And yes, I know he didn't actually say anything in the thread title.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Silentpony said:
So...you're just kinda' baiting people?

That seems kinda'...pointless. And as someone who has been arguing with Jim Sterling on/off for almost a decade now, I never take anything he says seriously. And yes, I know he didn't actually say anything in the thread title.
No their is an actual topic of debate. It's "why do people post without reading (or watching) the content". The title is to get people to do just that to illustrate the point (and to laugh at them).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Link is male. Case close. Just because he has some effeminate features in his face does not mean he can be morphed into female.
I genuinely can't tell if this post is being serious or parodying something. Poe's Law and all that.

OT: Other people have already brought up how perplexing this thread is.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Evonisia said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I genuinely can't tell if this post is being serious or parodying something. Poe's Law and all that.

OT: Other people have already brought up how perplexing this thread is.
I am being serious. I just find this whole thing ridiculous.

Why Link, why Link of all Nintendo characters of wanting him to be a female? And are you gonna change only Link's genetilia? Why not go the distance and change everyone's genetilia?

Have Zelda be a dude named Zelden (Hey if they came up with Linkle for that girl Link in Hyrule Warrios why not)

Have Ganon be an old lady witch. Or heck instead of turning into a Pig Monster make Ganon turn into a Dragon like Maleficient.

Just keep Link a guy, turning him into a girl would not add anything. Instead of turning him into a girl make a new and orignial female hero.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Link is male. Case close.
He's male because someone in the 1980s decided to make him male. If someone decided to make Link female in a future game, then Link would be female in that game regardless of whether or not you say "Link is male. Case closed." It's not like Link is some real-life person who absolutely insists he's a male. Whether Link is male or female is decided on the whim of the writers, and it can be changed at the whim of the writers.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MysticSlayer said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Link is male. Case close.
He's male because someone in the 1980s decided to make him male. If someone decided to make Link female in a future game, then Link would be female in that game regardless of whether or not you say "Link is male. Case closed." It's not like Link is some real-life person who absolutely insists he's a male. Whether Link is male or female is decided on the whim of the writers, and it can be changed at the whim of the writers.
The thing is why are we having this discussion with Link of all people? Why Link?

I have never seen anyone asking for a female Mario. You know why because he is now firmly established as a male character.

Link has now been imbedded in everyone's psyche as a male character, he is made to be male, he will remain male.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If people want a female protagonist in a Zelda game...why not Zelda? Id much rather a game where Link gets captured instead of Zelda for whatever reason, and Zelda has to be the hero, instead of making a female Link.

I would rather make new good female heroes then just genderbending male ones.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saelune said:
If people want a female protagonist in a Zelda game...why not Zelda? Id much rather a game where Link gets captured instead of Zelda for whatever reason, and Zelda has to be the hero, instead of making a female Link.

I would rather make new good female heroes then just genderbending male ones.
Exactly. It would be like Super Princess Peach.