SJW Jim Sterling says Link has to be female and that violent video games promote rape culture.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Eric the Orange said:
chrissx2 said:
He has no problem with Link not being a girl. He just finds the explenation why Link can't be a girl quite stupid.

Eh, i just read the rest of your post >. <
hehe. yeah that's why I made the inflammatory title. Too try and get people to respond without reading the post. for double irony.

Are misleading titles against the rules?
Yeah, but this title is totally on point about a topic about people only reading the title and responding to that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
There is a difference between sarcasm and a click-bait lie. The title is a case of the later.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
This is truly one of most tiring discusasions going around on video game sites at the moment.
Well, whatever, its clear what nintendo wants to do with Link anyway.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
hanselthecaretaker said:
Why does anyone take this overgrown child seriously.
Well, because most of us are overgrown children.

In fact, that's what an 'adult' is.

anthony87 said:
And it should be left to the whim of the writers, rather than the people writing articles, making videos and complaining on forums about it.
And it is! You'll notice they have no ability to change it; only to criticise and critique, which is exactly the power they should have.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Eric the Orange said:
WeepingAngels said:
Eric the Orange said:
chrissx2 said:
He has no problem with Link not being a girl. He just finds the explenation why Link can't be a girl quite stupid.

Eh, i just read the rest of your post >. <
hehe. yeah that's why I made the inflammatory title. Too try and get people to respond without reading the post. for double irony.

Are misleading titles against the rules?
Yeah, but this title is totally on point about a topic about people only reading the title and responding to that.
Oh I see, it wasn't a misleading title designed to inflame people who don't get past the title it was a "satire" of other people of people who only read the title and then get inflamed. You really can use "satire" to justify anything nowadays.

I'm kidding, and you make a worthwhile point since the main response to the Link video has been lots of arguments why Link should be male or why we shouldn't be asking (or DEMANDING) femLink... which wasn't the point of the video AT ALL!

My favourite quote on this subject is by Richard Dawkins in reference to his book the "Selfish Gene" being a "misleading" title. His response was "I couldn't find a title that completely encapsulated my argument... that's why I felt the need to write the rest of the book".

[I couldn't find the actual quote so this is paraphrased]

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Silvanus said:
anthony87 said:
And it should be left to the whim of the writers, rather than the people writing articles, making videos and complaining on forums about it.
And it is! You'll notice they have no ability to change it; only to criticise and critique, which is exactly the power they should have.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the benefit is to silencing criticism. Like, art forms rarely grow as a medium if they're just left to stagnate because everyone who has ideas about how they could be improved just stays quiet all the time.

I mean, is "asking people to write stories with female protagonists is wrong!" really the hill you want to die on?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Well played! I read the title and thought "Oh for fucks sake, someone is taking Jim out of context again, what the fuck is it this time?"*

I was expecting to be depressed not amused :) So i'll just pull the fish hook out of my mouth and be about my business...

*No, i dont have a limited vocabulary, fuck is just my favorite adjective

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
Eric the Orange said:

So apparently some people saw the titles of some of jims latest videos and just assumed that because apparently Jim is a "confirmed SJW" that they didn't even have to watch the video before assuming what he would say and yelling at him about how he is wrong.
(the thread title is sarcasm if that wasn't clear)
you know you almost had me writing a snappy "and the lack of comprehension award goes to" quip smart move smart move

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Saelune said:
If people want a female protagonist in a Zelda game...why not Zelda? Id much rather a game where Link gets captured instead of Zelda for whatever reason, and Zelda has to be the hero, instead of making a female Link.

I would rather make new good female heroes then just genderbending male ones.
I think that would be a great idea. Don't change established characters, just try making already-female ones the protagonist. That also avoids the worst side effect of gender changing a known character: Giving her a stupid name like "Linkle".

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
anthony87 said:
MysticSlayer said:
Whether Link is male or female is decided on the whim of the writers, and it can be changed at the whim of the writers.
It's still up to the whim of the writers. People can express their opinions online about wanting a female Link, just as much as someone can say they want Link to remain male. It is still up to the writers.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
If people want a female protagonist in a Zelda game...why not Zelda? Id much rather a game where Link gets captured instead of Zelda for whatever reason, and Zelda has to be the hero, instead of making a female Link.

I think that would be a great idea. Don't change established characters, just try making already-female ones the protagonist. That also avoids the worst side effect of gender changing a known character: Giving her a stupid name like "Linkle".
It's not like it messes with series continuity, such as it is, given how Link appears to be a different individual in each game. Reincarnation with Link as the opposite gender doesn't seem like a big deal.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Yeah, fuck someone for wanting a little bit more variety in gaming and having the audacity to call BS statements BS!

Street Halo

Jun 7, 2016
It's a shame that people generally only look at the surface of things and quickly jump the gun into their black and white camps (this goes for both sides btw, SJW's do it too *gasp*) but we are a species of extremes because fuck middle grounds.

I tend to agree with Jim on a 75/25 split and the "all violence, all the time" AAA attitude does need a looking into. I'm one of those with a controlled violent streak that sits under the surface (a by-product of a violent nature/nurture upbringing) and killing shit in vidya REALLY is quite cathartic but even I get rather bored when the only solution in games is to kill everything. There's some AAA games that offer an alternative some of the time, but it's rare to be given that option and usually just as rare within those games. You're still killing everything most of the time.

As far as AAA is concerned, I think the only viable solution is to offer more options/variety in conflict resolution. Give people a choice to play it as violent as they want or as amicably as possible, I couldn't see a completely nonviolent AAA making it's budget back let alone being successful.

As for turning Link into a female, I can't really speak specifically on that with any kind of authority as I'm not a fan of Nintendo's IP's but I don't agree with retconning just for the sake of "muh diversity" when they could just as easily create a new female character and give people a choice to play as a male Link or the new female hero.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Secondhand Revenant said:
infohippie said:
Saelune said:

It's not like it messes with series continuity, such as it is, given how Link appears to be a different individual in each game. Reincarnation with Link as the opposite gender doesn't seem like a big deal.
Maybe not a BIG deal, but how boring! It changes nothing except to give the protagonist a stupid name and perhaps give fuel to Link/Zelda yuri fan art. Wouldn't it be vastly more interesting to give Zelda some weapons and charge her with rescuing Link?