SJW Jim Sterling says Link has to be female and that violent video games promote rape culture.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Secondhand Revenant said:
KissingSunlight said:
KissingSunlight said:
The only bone of contention I have with Jim's opinions was him saying, "Why don't the developers say 'We didn't want to have a playable female character in this game?'" By saying that, it will open the door to all the social justice critics to be outraged and claim that videogames are sexist.
The bogeyman is never a good reason to do or not do something.

About the violence video, I thought that was more of a personal plea than anything else. Remember this guy is a videogame critic. So, he has to play a lot of games whether he likes them or not. Most videogames are violent. So, I empathize with what he is saying. However, it's really not relevant to most of us. We can pick and choose how often we want to play a violent game.
Variety and possible new directions are rather relevant, even if I never get tired of violent games.
If you are a billion dollar company, you are looking to please everyone. Regardless, of how silly the excuses they come up with. They have to do that, because some people refuse to acknowledge that creators should have any say on their fictional works. (Death of the Author)
This is missing the point about the threat not being real.

There are a lot of variety of games. Could there be more? Sure. Would it be nice if there were more variety from AAA games? Most definitely. All that would happen if we vote with our wallets. Videogames, just like movies, more people prefer sequels and reboots of established series over anything original and different.
Voting with your wallet is not some panacea. It is not easily interpreted. There are myriad reasons people may not buy a game. Simply not buying it does not tell them which and leaves them playing a guessing game of how to please the people who don't buy. It also depends on collective action between people who are unlikely to be coordinating, sometimes requiring them to act in a way that is to their detriment (not buying something they want to have to make a bigger point)
OK. You feel more passionately about this issue than I do. I don't think not gender-swapping Link is a "threat". I kind of afraid to ask. What exactly is the "threat" that you are referring to?

The problem that comes up with "voting with your wallet" is sometimes that what you vote for "loses the election". I can't tell you how many times I have lamented that a movie, singer, or game should be more popular than it is. Unfortunately, what big companies understand is the bottom line. Did that entertainment product make a profit? Sure, it's nice that something with a positive social message becomes popular. Companies can't stay in business if they are losing money putting out products that doesn't sell, but are socially important.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
KissingSunlight said:
KissingSunlight said:
KissingSunlight said:
The only bone of contention I have with Jim's opinions was him saying, "Why don't the developers say 'We didn't want to have a playable female character in this game?'" By saying that, it will open the door to all the social justice critics to be outraged and claim that videogames are sexist.
The bogeyman is never a good reason to do or not do something.

About the violence video, I thought that was more of a personal plea than anything else. Remember this guy is a videogame critic. So, he has to play a lot of games whether he likes them or not. Most videogames are violent. So, I empathize with what he is saying. However, it's really not relevant to most of us. We can pick and choose how often we want to play a violent game.
Variety and possible new directions are rather relevant, even if I never get tired of violent games.
If you are a billion dollar company, you are looking to please everyone. Regardless, of how silly the excuses they come up with. They have to do that, because some people refuse to acknowledge that creators should have any say on their fictional works. (Death of the Author)
This is missing the point about the threat not being real.

There are a lot of variety of games. Could there be more? Sure. Would it be nice if there were more variety from AAA games? Most definitely. All that would happen if we vote with our wallets. Videogames, just like movies, more people prefer sequels and reboots of established series over anything original and different.
Voting with your wallet is not some panacea. It is not easily interpreted. There are myriad reasons people may not buy a game. Simply not buying it does not tell them which and leaves them playing a guessing game of how to please the people who don't buy. It also depends on collective action between people who are unlikely to be coordinating, sometimes requiring them to act in a way that is to their detriment (not buying something they want to have to make a bigger point)
OK. You feel more passionately about this issue than I do. I don't think not gender-swapping Link is a "threat". I kind of afraid to ask. What exactly is the "threat" that you are referring to?
This is hard if you aren't going to follow along with a simple train of thought...

I'm saying the bogeyman of people disapproving of them just saying they don't want female Link is not a real threat. You're just making up a reaction for people.

The problem that comes up with "voting with your wallet" is sometimes that what you vote for "loses the election". I can't tell you how many times I have lamented that a movie, singer, or game should be more popular than it is. Unfortunately, what big companies understand is the bottom line. Did that entertainment product make a profit? Sure, it's nice that something with a positive social message becomes popular. Companies can't stay in business if they are losing money putting out products that doesn't sell, but are socially important.
So how does this address the issue of voting with your wallet not communicating the actual reason you did so?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
I assume because Link is pretty damn close to the blank slate type characters we get in Elder Scrolls games, so having a simple model swap and raising the pitch of the grunts wouldn't really have any story impact.
Link's already usually voiced by a girl (even though she doesn't have any dialogue), and has an androgynous appearance. And you can get people to call her by a girl's name in every game I've ever played. Well, actually, I don't remember if the first couple had any interaction where people would call you anything. The only thing I remember about names from the first LoZ is the Zelda cheat.

This is actually one of the reasons I find it so weird that this is such a sticking point in the first place.

KissingSunlight

Jul 3, 2013
OK. We are going to agree to disagree with whether or not there would be negative reaction if they said, "We don't want a female Link." Right now, it is all hypothetical, because that was not the response they took on the subject.

I vote with my wallet on things that I like, or would think I will like. If you feel passionately about an issue in entertainment. For example, more non-violent videogames. You should make a point of buying more non-violent videogames. Like I said, companies mainly respond to the bottom line. Sure, they will respond to a P.R. crisis. When people protest issues like "Why can't Link be a woman?" Then you get these neutered press release that doesn't really say anything, or don't give a logical reason why they did what they did. Voting with your wallet is not a perfect strategy. It is more effective strategy than the public shaming campaigns that have been waged in the past.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
KissingSunlight said:
OK. We are going to agree to disagree with whether or not there would be negative reaction if they said, "We don't want a female Link." Right now, it is all hypothetical, because that was not the response they took on the subject.
Lol, you can't defend your assertion so you decide I'm going to agree to disagree? Almost funny if it weren't so dishonest.

I vote with my wallet on things that I like, or would think I will like. If you feel passionately about an issue in entertainment. For example, more non-violent videogames. You should make a point of buying more non-violent videogames. Like I said, companies mainly respond to the bottom line. Sure, they will respond to a P.R. crisis. When people protest issues like "Why can't Link be a woman?" Then you get these neutered press release that doesn't really say anything, or don't give a logical reason why they did what they did. Voting with your wallet is not a perfect strategy. It is more effective strategy than the public shaming campaigns that have been waged in the past.
Maybe you just don't understand. Saying shit like 'companies mainly respond to the bottom line' doesn't actually deal with my point that they may not be able to interpret the reason.

Also it's overly simplistic to say buy more non-violent games. That doesn't account for finding some current ones lackluster.

More effective as demonstrated by...? Your inability to explain how they're supposed to always accurately divine the reason they didn't make as much money on a game?

2HF

May 24, 2011
Achelexus said:
Eh, Jim is a bit of an idiot, everyone knows that, which is probably good since he left the escapist. And people bitching about Link not being female should really rethink their lives.
Nobody is bitching about Link not being female. I understand that being dismissive of a view point is easier than debating it but try to keep up.

We're debating why Link very well could be female, and how that would be a refreshing change of pace. No good reason why Link could not be female.

KissingSunlight

Jul 3, 2013
KissingSunlight said:
Lol, you can't defend your assertion so you decide I'm going to agree to disagree? Almost funny if it weren't so dishonest.

Maybe you just don't understand. Saying shit like 'companies mainly respond to the bottom line' doesn't actually deal with my point that they may not be able to interpret the reason.

Also it's overly simplistic to say buy more non-violent games. That doesn't account for finding some current ones lackluster.

More effective as demonstrated by...? Your inability to explain how they're supposed to always accurately divine the reason they didn't make as much money on a game?
Listen. I don't owe you any explanation or citations of my opinions. Either you agree with my opinions or don't. I don't care. If you are interested in a discussion or debate, why don't you explain why your position is right? You obviously have not convinced me. I think you don't have any insights on this issues that would justify your position. That is why you are pressuring me to justify myself. No dice. This conversation is over. Unless, you want to bring something to the table to discuss.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
KissingSunlight said:
KissingSunlight said:

Listen. I don't owe you any explanation or citations of my opinions. Either you agree with my opinions or don't. I don't care. If you are interested in a discussion or debate, why don't you explain why your position is right? You obviously have not convinced me. I think you don't have any insights on this issues that would justify your position. That is why you are pressuring me to justify myself. No dice. This conversation is over. Unless, you want to bring something to the table to discuss.
You don't ever owe anyone a citation, but you should be aware that when you refuse to produce one for a claim or opinion, especially when directly challenged for one, the conclusion drawn is usually "Bullshit". If you're really satisfied with that outcome, and are truly only interested in disseminating opinion without concern for whether or not you're taken seriously, that's your prerogative too.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
2HF said:
Achelexus said:
Eh, Jim is a bit of an idiot, everyone knows that, which is probably good since he left the escapist. And people bitching about Link not being female should really rethink their lives.
Nobody is bitching about Link not being female. I understand that being dismissive of a view point is easier than debating it but try to keep up.

We're debating why Link very well could be female, and how that would be a refreshing change of pace. No good reason why Link could not be female.
Again, reincarnation of Hylia's chosen hero. How about making Zelda the main character instead of needlessly gender swapping Link?

Seriously, why the obsession with swapping Link's gender when there are other options? Zelda? Impa? Midna? Why hijack Link for this? Why indulge in the Ms. Male trope?

Also, no one's angry? Dude, there are PLENTY of people who lost their crap over this. They just don't come here.

Metalix Knightmare said:
Basically, Hylia wouldn't want to risk changing him too much. He'll still have some differences due to various upbringings, but the core will always remain the same.
Where does it say anything about changing him too much and where does it say female Link would be too much of some sort of change.
The changing too much IS conjecture I'll admit, but what would be the point in having him reincarnate like that if you aren't going to preserve him as best as possible?

And how would a female Link be too much of a change? Will, if Zelda, Hilyia's mortal incarnation, in Hyrule Warriors is any indication...

KissingSunlight

Jul 3, 2013
Disco Biscuit said:
KissingSunlight said:
You don't ever owe anyone a citation, but you should be aware that when you refuse to produce one for a claim or opinion, especially when directly challenged for one, the conclusion drawn is usually "Bullshit". If you're really satisfied with that outcome, and are truly only interested in disseminating opinion without concern for whether or not you're taken seriously, that's your prerogative too.
We have been going back and forth on this topic this afternoon. I noticed tonight that this person has never explained why his/her opinion was right. This person just kept pressuring me on justifying myself. Doesn't a person doing that, at some point, must justify his/her opinion on the issue. It shouldn't be a one-way street.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
KissingSunlight said:
Disco Biscuit said:
KissingSunlight said:
We have been going back and forth on this topic this afternoon. I noticed tonight that this person has never explained why his/her opinion was right. This person just kept pressuring me on justifying myself. Doesn't a person doing that, at some point, must justify his/her opinion on the issue. It shouldn't be a one-way street.
It shouldn't, but wouldn't you rather be the person who does what you're supposed to, then says "Look, I did it, now you or I'm done and calling foul." ? Plenty of times I find though, when you do a bit of work first, other people are willing to follow suit. When they're not just trolling at least, it's a basic mutuality that has to exist.

KissingSunlight

Jul 3, 2013
Disco Biscuit said:
KissingSunlight said:
Disco Biscuit said:
KissingSunlight said:
It shouldn't, but wouldn't you rather be the person who does what you're supposed to, then says "Look, I did it, now you or I'm done and calling foul." ? Plenty of times I find though, when you do a bit of work first, other people are willing to follow suit. When they're not just trolling at least, it's a basic mutuality that has to exist.
All relationships are a two-way street. Either romantic, work, friends, or even anonymous internet discussions.

My last post, before I called that person out, perfectly summed up my position on the issue. I had no more to say. So, I moved on to other things I had to do. Needless to say, I was disappointed to see that this person was mocking me for doing that. Also, this person didn't seem to understand or appreciate anything that I had posted during the day.

I'm all for a good back and forth debate on the issues. It seems like more times than not. I find myself being on the receiving end of the inquisition. It seems like the people, like the one I was debating with, don't want to elaborate on their opinions. They know that it will open themselves up to criticism from the person they are debating with. So, it's better to play offense against the person they are bantering with.

Most of the time, I just ignore these people when they are doing this. Every once in a while, I do have to call out the occasional perpetrator.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Gorrath said:
I'd want a bunch of new cast myself but I don't know why fairness would be an issue even if it was just Link. Fairness to whom? Who would be slighted by just having a female Link? I'd be as cool with a female Gannon and/or a male Zelda as I would a female Link since none of their genders/sex matter all that much, especially since each game is usually a re-telling of the tale and may or may not have any solid continuity. It'd be just as fun and valid if you had a female Link with a bunch of new characters and not just a rehash of the other main cast.

Basically, I'm up for anything so long as it's fun/well made. I don't see how any of these factors are essential parts of having a good game, they are variables that can be switched around with no hindrance of having a good time.
Fair to Link, I guess. That he should be the only one to suddenly have a Schrodinger's gender just doesn't seem right to the character. Gender is a major defining trait for humans, to change that is to change who the character is. Suddenly making it possible for there to be a female Link after so long of established character is basically to remove Link as a character in a way. Changing all the established characters would distance it from the main canon, such as it is, it would feel like a spinoff in an alternate dimension.

Eric the Orange said:
I am curious if i had switched the title around and led with that first would that have been the thing people are talking about? I just assumed that because the title cuts off most of the people only responded to the part they saw, that being the first part.
I kind of doubt it, I think it's just that changing Link's gender is much more contentious than violence in video games.

Sheo_Dagana said:
Actually, I don't want a gender SWAP... I want a gender CHOICE. Sure, I'd probably still go with a male, but if silent protagonists are someone we're supposed to project ourselves on to, isn't it a bit unfair to ask gamers that don't identify as male to have to project on to a man? Especially when Link's gender has never had any REAL consequences on the story as a whole, except I guess for Hyrule Warriors.

But I would like to see Zelda take it a step further - not just gender choice, but some customization as well; Breath of the Wild seems to have armor and weapon customization! That's a step in the direction I speak of, along with other things like height, hair color (classic brown or OoT blonde?), eye color and the like. Now these changes don't have to be drastic, but some minor details and gender choice would actually help me feel more attached to Link for a change, since Link is just a vehicle for the player to explore the world anyway.

I will concede that keeping Link male-only does not cause anything to be lost, but if Aonuma ever wanted to make a good compromise, the ability to choose, like in Pokemon, would only benefit them. Sure, most of Mass Effect's players chose to play as male Shep, but the remainder that chose fem Shep were probably pretty grateful for the choice.
You know, I think this whole debate comes down to a divide between people who see Link as his own established character, and those that just see him as the avatar for the player to project onto. As someone in the former camp, I'm filled with abject horror at the idea of a Zelda game having character customization. There are so many games out there where you can customize your avatar, sometimes I like being able to play a pre-defined one, even if they are mute.

minkus_draconus said:
I'm for something in between. change genders where it works for the story/character. We have had all kind of fairies in the games so it doe snot matter what you do with them. I don't think the aspects of the triforce are tied to a gender so you can flip as many of them as you want any way. No reason Gannon(dorf) can't be a witch. No reason we cant have a prince with the triforce of wisdom. All the other characters are NPCs and offer a lot of variety anyway.

As for the Ice King's fan-fiction I see no problem with it. Have you watched any of the other episodes with Fiona and Cake?
I can't actually remember if I've seen any of the others. In that first one though, Fiona was a pretty terrible flip of Finn, only resembling him on the most superficial of levels. She has none of Finn's usual agency and pretty much spends the whole episode being led around by Prince Gumball. I really hate her design as well, as it falls into the standard pitfall of sexualized female designs, and is extremely pronounced when compared to the basically shapeless Finn. Her design also doesn't allow for the same free movement as Finn, because where his appendages are basically noodles she has thick, shapely arms and legs.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Also my issue with the idea of a black James Bond or a Female Link is that how can they present the concept of Link and Bond Female/Black without reducing to just being a preachy message about race and gender struggles? Because I dread that they say making Bond black has the risk of having a story about Black Bond going through the struggles that black people face with racism and all that and to that is just increadibly preachy and racist in itself because to me it implies all Black people's experiance is one of struggle and entropy.
Female Bond would be kinda stupid, since a huuuge part of Bond's character dynamic is his inherent 'male-ness'.

Black Bond, on the other hand, would be perfectly fine: Bond is British, and skin color doesn't matter nearly as much in the UK as it does in the US. No discrimination, no 'struggle' depicted on screen. Unless Black Bond travels to the US.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
minkus_draconus said:
Drathnoxis said:
I notice not many people have interest in responding to Jim's video on violence.

I have a question for the people who want a gender swapped Link: do you want a full gender swap for all the main characters in the game (male Zelda, female Ganon, female Tingle, etc.) or simply a gender swap for Link alone?

I might be able to get behind a full gender swap as long as it's pulled off a bit better than that terrible Adventure Time episode. Just swapping Link doesn't really seem fair to me.
I'm for something in between. change genders where it works for the story/character. We have had all kind of fairies in the games so it doe snot matter what you do with them. I don't think the aspects of the triforce are tied to a gender so you can flip as many of them as you want any way. No reason Gannon(dorf) can't be a witch. No reason we cant have a prince with the triforce of wisdom. All the other characters are NPCs and offer a lot of variety anyway.
As a spin off or non cannon entry it would have to be, but you'd have to gender flip everyone for it to work, no half measures or picking and choosing. Ganon is always the same Ganon and thus has no room for being gender flipped on his own, unless you gender flip the Gerudo race to be one that is entirely male instead, as Ganon is King of the Gerudo by virtue of being the current man born once every 100 years. If you just gender flipped Ganon, someone else would have to have been king, and then Ganon would've been unlikely to have gotten hold of the triforce in the first place.

Zelda herself is a constant reincarnation of the goddess Hylia, thus fixing her sex quite solidly and potentially character to some extent.

I think at this point it's quite established that reincarnation in the Zelda universe is a lot less fluid than in other media or even the real world, as I think it's safe to assume that if characters get reincarnated as the same sex every time over many, many games, then that aspect doesn't change. Although Link is one character that can "somewhat" break the rules:

In the WW timeline the character you play as isn't actually part of the reincarnation cycle, and is instead tested in order to become The Hero and the take on the mantle of a /new/ cycle of reincarnation. Essentially if the reincarnation of Link is broken then there's room to do whatever you want so long as the character is courageous. Zelda I don't think has this wiggle room, being the literal reincarnation of a goddess.

So while Link is totally able to be switched under specific circumstances, I think it's /easier/ to just gender flip everyone and call it non canon, as a lonesome Female Link has quite large implications for which ever timeline she exists in. Or make it possible to choose Links gender (thus making it that all previous incarnations were female for that player).

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
elvor0 said:
As a spin off or non cannon entry it would have to be, but you'd have to gender flip everyone for it to work, no half measures or picking and choosing. Ganon is always the same Ganon and thus has no room for being gender flipped on his own, unless you gender flip the Gerudo race to be one that is entirely male instead, as Ganon is King of the Gerudo by virtue of being the current man born once every 100 years. If you just gender flipped Ganon, someone else would have to have been king, and then Ganon would've been unlikely to have gotten hold of the triforce in the first place.

Zelda herself is a constant reincarnation of the goddess Hylia, thus fixing her sex quite solidly and potentially character to some extent.
Ganon isn't always the same Ganon. He can be reincarnated just like Link and Zelda and in fact this happened in Four Sword Adventures.

praisegrima

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
karkashan said:
elvor0 said:

Ganon isn't always the same Ganon. He can be reincarnated just like Link and Zelda and in fact this happened in Four Sword Adventures.

praisegrima
Right you are, did not know that. It's the same Ganon in all the rest barring Four Sword Adventures. I maintain that you should flip the entire Gerudo tribe though.

However I think at this point it's quite established that reincarnation in the Zelda universe is a lot less fluid than in other media or even the real world, as I think it's safe to assume that if characters get reincarnated as the same sex every time over many, many games, then that aspect doesn't change.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
It's one of those sad things when I think I know more about LoZ cannon then a lot of people and I don't play them anymore (I'm not 12). The argument about potentially making Link a girl can be made, because Link is new person every time, you can even call him something else. The only thing connecting the games is a theme (and mental fans trying to tie it all into some time line); hero, princess, man-bear pig.

Having Link be a girl could open up story possibilities like; "what the fuck you think ya doin girl (or as I have named her; Boobs McKenzi), thinking you're the hero of time and shit, everybody knows we're looking for a warrior with a sword in their pants, get back to Tinkles whore house ya slag". As I said I haven't played one in a while and that's as good as I remember the scripts being.

But then changing the fundamentals with a Nintendo game is like trying to institute stricter gun laws in America, it's just going to get a lot children very angry. Whiny little bastards, I hope the NX tanks and the company collapses in on all it's stupid bullshit... then what would Link do?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Link is an established male. Unless he has a twin sister also named Link, then the gender swap makes sense. Unless Ganondorf slipped Link a potion to switch his gender... hmm. Maybe Nintendo don't want the Zelda series to be like some poorly written interactive novel?

MrHide-Patten said:
Having Link be a girl could open up story possibilities
Zelda is a girls name, and Nintendo would have to cancel any Western releases to avoid any controversy.