Skate 3 Demo: Why Tell When I Can Show?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
So, i just got off the new Skate 3 Demo after playing it for a good 2 hours. All i have to say is expect a few things to be.. different.. Let me show you.

The Good
The moves
Now one of the new features of Skate 3 which i enjoy the most is the new move "Darkslide". Like i said, why talk about it, when i can SHOW! (It also saves me typing, im retarded when it comes to keyboards)
Yes, now with the power of the RB/R1 button you have the ability to flip your board over 180! This new feature also allows the play to pull a few new tricks such as the "Kickflip overflip" and the "Dark Side Catch".
Object Drop
If there was one thign that drove me up the wall with Skate to was the ability to drag objects to locations. The noise, effort and time wasting it made was stupid! Walk up to object.. drag it somewhere for an hour only for it to fall over.. Skate 3 fixes this problem with the new object drop feature. It allows the player to simply drop any objct they want to where they want it without the dragging! Whether it be a ramp, rail, table or even a vending machine! This allows the player to create some pretty radical lines.

Lights, Camera...
Skate has always been known to allow the player to make their own skating video and upload their videos to the world.. like what im doing now.. Once again Skate 3 takes this feature and gives it a good ol' shining! Its the same old skool editing system as the previous games, but with a few extras. These extras include camera shake, free mode camera (A previous DLC for S2, but now is free) and advanced cameras which i was unable to play with due to the demos limitation :(
[sub]Check out that funky beat[/sub]

Angles
S3 lets the player choose how they play the game at the start of the demo. For instance, selecting a low or high angle camera and easy or hard mode. Each let the player customise their gamign experince just how they want it. For me, i put it on hard mode because the pyhsics are as real as you can get.

FAIL
The new hall of meat stuff is brilliant! The player can now fully control their skater in mid air or on the ground. Allowing you to get more distance in the air or speed into an object! See a dumpster you want to smash into in the distance? GLIDE THERE!
The new real time bone damage indicator is a nice move forwards too. The hall of meat summary screen from S2 will not be missed because it taken waaaay to much time and broke gameplay. With this new damage system, you can see what bones and how much damage you have done to your poor skater in real time! Woo!
Another upgrade to the fail is that your character can now land on his feet after a minor bail, unlike the other games where they fell staright on their face after a slow speed collision with a ladybug.

The Bad
Location location location
From what i played of the S3 demo, Port Carverton, the new town which you will be ripping on, is fairly flat. The game looks beautiful and has what you expect from a Skate game.. things to skate on, ramps to hit and what have you.. but in the end it just feels so flat! The environment is littered with benches, planters and rails. The thing missing is the good amount of ramps and gradients that the player can you for speed and air time. Another thign which bugged me is the space between obejects. It is hard to find a natural line to hit. I think this was done intentionally to let the player use the Object Drop mode so you can fully customise your own line. Still.. it would be nice to just skate around without stopped every so often to fill a gap between rails.
On the other hand this is just the demo. Many a time i seen an awesome ramp or lien in the distance and i wasnt allowed to go anywhere near them. DARN YOU DEMOOOO! *Shakes fist*

The music
Once again.. it sucks. Too plain and boring for a skating game. Unlike Skate's rival Tony Hawk, Skate lacks in the music which is primarily aimed at a skating audience, such as Punk, Old Skool hip-hop and rock. The music on skate sounds like elevator music which decided it was too cool for other elevators and made itself a little louder than the rest.

Frank...

The same
Pretty much everything else from previous Skate games. Including missions, moves and styles. Oh, but your skater can talk now..

Why not throw a rating in here ey?

7 out of 10
[sub]And thats just the demo![/sub]

YouCallMeNighthawk

Mar 8, 2010
HAHAHA! i loved coach frank! reminded me of earl hickey from my name is earl :)

All in all it was a VERY short demo! but was pretty good definetly getting it on release date.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I'm confuzzled... They just now added in the Darkslide? I was doing those in Tony Hawk Underground.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
JEBWrench said:
I'm confuzzled... They just now added in the Darkslide? I was doing those in Tony Hawk Underground.
And the dark catch... yeah thats pretty much all they did with the moves judging by my play of the demo. I have read that they will include a easy & hardcore stick stick in the full game. That shall be intresting to see.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I just got the skate 3 demo last night it was really good and Coach Frank was awesome! :p (i also thought i have heard his voice somewhere else before to) despite not playing Skate 1 or 2 i have already preordered Skate 3 after playing the demo last night

Enagan

Nov 2, 2009
I just played the demo, It's really cool, and coach frank rocks ^^.

Won't be buying at launch, but that's because of university exams :(

Oh well, It will have to wait till summer

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
YouCallMeNighthawk said:
HAHAHA! i loved coach frank! reminded me of earl hickey from my name is earl
I think he was.

Well, the demo was great to me. A much better camera, too.

Zetero

Apr 11, 2010
The Darkslide is just awesome, also the rings which shows you where you'll land in a bail.

Skate 3 is going to rock

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Liberaliter said:
How is the off board controls/animation, in skate 2 it was awful.
Oh i knew i forgot something, they are MUCH better. You no longer control your skater like they are a tank.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
Liberaliter said:
How is the off board controls/animation, in skate 2 it was awful.
Oh i knew i forgot something, they are MUCH better. You no longer control your skater like they are a tank.
Haha, good. Although, if you're characters WERE tanks then that might make things a lot better.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
My biggest complaint with the Skate. 3 demo was the difficulty. I encourage people to add difficulty to their games, but when hard mode consists of adding seemingly invisible walls to the game...That's when I get annoyed.

Christopher Waldron

Feb 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
YouCallMeNighthawk said:
HAHAHA! i loved coach frank! reminded me of earl hickey from my name is earl
I think he was.

Well, the demo was great to me. A much better camera, too.
Yeah, 'Coach Frank' is Jason Lee's skater coach alter ego, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krYlUX16XpY

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Riobux said:
My biggest complaint with the Skate. 3 demo was the difficulty. I encourage people to add difficulty to their games, but when hard mode consists of adding seemingly invisible walls to the game...That's when I get annoyed.
Oh man i know what you mean. I put it on hard mdoe if i fancy a bit of realistic skating. But when it comes to doing missions and photo opts, its near impossible.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Riobux said:
Oh man i know what you mean. I put it on hard mdoe if i fancy a bit of realistic skating. But when it comes to doing missions and photo opts, its near impossible.
I don't mind realism, but invisible walls isn't realistic. It's annoying and necessary. Honestly, I think the best way to describe Skate. 3 is simply Skate. 2.5.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
YouCallMeNighthawk said:
HAHAHA! i loved coach frank! reminded me of earl hickey from my name is earl :)

All in all it was a VERY short demo! but was pretty good definetly getting it on release date.
pretty sure that frank IS earl hickey, by which i mean i'm 99% sure the voice actor is jason lee.