SkullGirls anyone?

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
RaikuFA said:
But isn't that the norm and acceptable in the FGC? Where since I'm a newcomer I have to be made sure that I'm not welcome?
Yeah, that's a big problem in the fighting game community. People need to really chill out. It's why I only play with friends. I don't like having every insult in the book thrown at me by 12 year old kids, or 30 year old men with the maturity of 12 year old kids, regardless if I win or lose.

there is a WORLD of difference between " You only won because that character is cheap!" and "You worthless cocksucking mother****er! Go back home and suck your mom's cock before I track you down and take a dump on your face and force your mom to eat it!"

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Uhh, that depends on what type of "community" you're talking about. Sure, there are the juvenile online-only people but you're just as likely to run into someone who will be nice and helpful or place you under his wing and make you his new project as you are to run into someone who'll be abusive for no reason whatsoever. The latter is just mentioned more for sensationalist reasons.

In my personal experience with actual offline competitive players, they've been thoroughly nice and never made me feel uncomfortable or unwelcome and since I was actually beating them consistently at my main game I got a lot of respect too, despite being the new person joining an already established social group. You can't really get that in many more places out there so it's kinda shortsighted to generalize the entire community based on a few overblown isolated incidents. Hell, we went over to the anime Boston convention the other week and we shared a hotel room and everything. It was beyond epic and a hell of a lot of fun, we're like really good friends and stuff, all cause of fighting games! :D

Simply put, the proper players who are actually good and KNOW it don't need to verbally belittle their foe to feel better about themselves, they do that through the game itself and winning is enough, they have class and a proper mentality. Only the self-conscious overly aggressive people who aren't that good at the game will start swearing up a storm for beating you or losing to something they perceive as "cheap" or w/e.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Oh my god, back to the subject of online. Have you seen some of the crazy shit people have come up with already? Man, i'm never gonna get my Filia past jumping MP, crouch LP, LP, LK, HP, Hairball, Gregor Samson, HP, Hairball basicness.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I actually need to figure out links... (the LK is vital in he above combo for example) Unlike UMVC3 where it's just L,M,H,S,L,M,H,S, Special or two, Hyper for the entire cast. Or I just suck.

'S why i can't pick up Parasoul without finding a combo vid first... Plus I hate using projectiles as part of a combo, it just seems wrong to me. Though anyone see that Parasoul awesomeness on Team Spooky? Napalm loopz ftw!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Oh my god, back to the subject of online. Have you seen some of the crazy shit people have come up with already? Man, i'm never gonna get my Filia past jumping MP, crouch LP, LP, LK, HP, Hairball, Gregor Samson, HP, Hairball basicness.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I actually need to figure out links... (the LK is vital in he above combo for example) Unlike UMVC3 where it's just L,M,H,S,L,M,H,S, Special or two, Hyper for the entire cast. Or I just suck.

'S why i can't pick up Parasoul without finding a combo vid first... Plus I hate using projectiles as part of a combo, it just seems wrong to me. Though anyone see that Parasoul awesomeness on Team Spooky? Napalm loopz ftw!

Yeah, good idea. Here's something I figured out a few days ago for Filia, it's mean to be an efficient corner combo rather than fancy and wasteful meter stuff;

throw>2MP>2HP>236LP>2LK>5MK>2HP>236LP>2LP>5MK>2HP>236LP>5LP>5MP>5MK>2HP>236LP>5LK>5MP>5MK>2HP>236LP>623HP>214KK>5HP>jMP>jMK>airdash-cancel>jLK>jHK

Easier to do on lighter chars, you'd have to cut out a few bits of it against the heaver chars like Double.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Dreiko said:
The Wykydtron said:

Yeah, good idea. Here's something I figured out a few days ago for Filia, it's mean to be an efficient corner combo rather than fancy and wasteful meter stuff;

throw>2MP>2HP>236LP>2LK>5MK>2HP>236LP>2LP>5MK>2HP>236LP>5LP>5MP>5MK>2HP>236LP>5LK>5MP>5MK>2HP>236LP>623HP>214KK>5HP>jMP>jMK>airdash-cancel>jLK>jHK

Easier to do on lighter chars, you'd have to cut out a few bits of it against the heaver chars like Double.
Nao to spend half the day trying to pull even half of that off in Training... And yeah about the annoying fancy metre eating wastefulness, anyone who goes Gregor Samson into another Gregor Samson is offically an idiot. Damage scaling comes down like a ton of bricks on that move

Though GS into Super Updo is quite viable as a finisher for a low health character...

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The wasteful things I had in mind have more to do with the fact that you can start this combo off of updo into her LVL 3 super, rather than ending the combo with a bunch of supers actually, does a good 15% more damage but it's so much less applicable than a throw, you barely even get 3 meters with solo Filia and if you have other chars then DHCing into the other char and doing a hell of a long combo with them too would be preferable.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Main complaint is the characters feel like they had their movesets directly lifted from other games, I've seen Blanka, Guile, Millia Rose, Sentinel there is very little originality on display here, it works but it feels cheap.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Grahav said:
Did the Escapist posted anything about the game's release?
No. You gotta wonder though, mayabe in about a week they'll do a review on it.
I fear that the Escapist may have already formed an opinion about the game: "Sexist, fanservicing, mysoginistic game that we won't touch."

I hope I am wrong.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Grahav said:
RaikuFA said:
Grahav said:
I fear that the Escapist may have already formed an opinion about the game: "Sexist, fanservicing, mysoginistic game that we won't touch."

I hope I am wrong.
I believe they've done some articles on it attacking naysayers who were saying its sexist.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Grahav said:
RaikuFA said:
Grahav said:

I hope I am wrong.
I believe they've done some articles on it attacking naysayers who were saying its sexist.
I also believe they made podcasts and articles saying it was sexist.

WHO SHALL BE RIGHT?

I don't know.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I took a look, they just mention people who defend the game when sexism comes up.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Grahav said:
Given how most major gaming news sites only cover fighting games and the FGC when there's some sort of contreversial angle, I wouldn't hold my breath. A totally solid new fighter built in indie fashion in large part by someone liked and respected in the community? Meh. One fighting game community member saying that sexual harassment is an inherent part of the FGC? Woah, print that ASAP!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Grahav said:
Given how most major gaming news sites only cover fighting games and the GFC when there's some sort of contreversial angle, I wouldn't hold my breath. A totally solid new fighter built in indie fashion in large part by someone liked and respected in the community? Meh. One fighting game community member saying that sexual harassment is an inherent part of the FGC? Woah, print that ASAP!
That's journalism 101, controversy sells. Still, I hold The Escapist to a higher standard than I do other gaming sites, and I'm sure they'll do at least a small review for the game, since it did generate a fair amount of buzz, and they featured the trailers and stuff, IIRC.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So I've now cleared the Story mode with Filia and Peacock. The latter of which I've won on the Normal difficulty. I love Peacock. Her ability to keep enemies at a distance with her projectile attacks makes me so happy. She's not too shabby up close either.

The final boss was RIDICULOUS. The first two phases she's not too bad, although it's easy to screw yourself over for later if you make too many mistakes. The third phase always seems to get me. She floats in the air to where I can't reach her normally. This especially sucks considering I have yet to master air combos. Thankfully, Peacock's attack that drops stuff on people really helped me out of that one.

So yeah, I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this game. I still feel I got a ways to go before I can hold my own against someone playing online, but I'm getting there.

Thank you Dreiko for convincing me to keep trying. :)

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Haha, don't mention it! I'm glad you're having as much fun with the game as you are. :D

It may seems snobby or w/e to some but if you do work for your fun, it really is a higher quality of fun and quite a bit more meaningful.

Capitano Segnaposto said:
Copied from my own thread, just trying to get help T-T

I have a few more questions about SkullGirls and fighters in general. A few moments ago I was in a battle with Valentine while I was using Cerebella. I am somewhat decent with Cerebella (I can pull off all of her moves, most of the time, I still can't combo anything more than two or three moves though) so I thought "Hey, Valentine is rather weak against Grapples. Maybe I can win this one!" Alas, it was not so as as soon as the match started I got pummled. I tried to block (wouldn't let me) as I just kept getting hit over and over and over and over. I managed to stop the onslaught once when I broke her grab, yet as soon as I got back she started pummeling me again. "Okay" I thought, "This time I will block as soon as the second round starts!" I pressed the block button as soon as it starts and even though it was a simple forward jab (my block should've blocked it) it did nothing as it went straight through and I got pummeled again. This time, however, she did not try to grab me so no matter how many times I tapped the block button, nothing worked. It was a infinite combo, or so it seemed.

Why is this? Why couldn't I block at all?

Another question is, what the hell is up with Filia's Hairball move? It seems to me the Quarter-back HK seems to only work half of the time! Even when I do the custom assist it seems completely random as to when it is the Hairball [HK] or the Samson Boot. It shows that I did the correct combination yet it seems to be a 50/50 as to "Hairball [HK], eh?" or "Samson Boot, huh?". Why is this? Is it a simple glitch or is this move so minute in its act that unless you do it absolutely perfectly it won't work?

As my final question (for now :p), what is a good way to defeat Peacock? I try to duck and weave through the bombs, bullets, airplanes, and falling debri, yet I can't seem to get close to her as, when I do, she casts one of her Showtime Level 1's (or if I am unlucky) Showtime Level 3. As Cerebella, I can't do anything without getting close. If I try to do one of those Forward + HP moves, she simple blocks and attacks me again.

This isn't directly to you, but to anyone who can answer these :'(
I problably shouldn't be in the Multiplayer yet as I can barely beat the AI on Sleepwalk difficulty (and I still can't beat that blasted Marie without being on a 30 Second Timer, damn last boss. Still better than Galactus or Seth). Should I wait until I can beat the AI on normal before I even think of going online? Should I try and add another character to my repetoire before rushing head-first as a Solo character? Should I switch my car insurance to Geico? I NEED ANSWERS!

Also:

Are there any Youtubers who are putting up "How to Play Character: X" yet? I want to learn how to play Peacock or Ms. Fortune, yet I can't seem to get them right. Also for Combos on Cerebella would be great as well.

By chance will the escapist review this one?

Maybe you had lag, maybe you pressed the button too slow, maybe it was a low/overhead and you were blocking the wrong way. Those are all the possibilities.

This game has an infinite-prevention system where if you get hit by an infinite you see pink flashes around your char and pressing any button will escape the combo. If you did not see those pink flashes, it was not an infinite, just a really really really long combo. If it included Valentine's green syringe it makes sense because the syringe's effect is to increase your hitstun, enabling longer-than-typical combos which are not infinites.

As for the move not coming out when you want it, you're just imputing it wrong, there's no glitch or anything, your fingers just aren't used to doing the moves with the proper timing yet.

As for Cerebella stuff, here's something kinda worth knowing: