Skullgirls Dev Dismisses Cries of Sexism

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Heimir said:
Won't lift a finger or even think about crying sexism at games like Gears of War for depicting men to be steroidal monster muscletanks.
Actually, I and several others do, in fact, do that.

And then males come around and say that women are all freaky bisexuals/lesbians who don't like men who look like men and have to have a bishounen instead. And the the criticism of the aesthetic in Gears of War is shallow. And "your kind is the reason we got that stupid Raiden instead of a proper man in Metal Gear Solid". And "the fact that Gears of War guys are meatheads is a good thing, it shows that their purpose is to be something other than attractive, thus not being objectifying or degrading to anyone. I prefer to play games with testosterone laden dudes because it shows I only care about gameplay and killing stuff and not whether the characters are attractive. By the way I can't stand those Final Fantasy faggots who look like girls."

And geez, "it just so happens they are attractive", speak for yourself, I don't think curvy women are attractive at all. Well, unless you mean fat women. They're awesome. Excuse me, but I'll be maining Peacock.

Also, "hey guys, blackface minstral isn't racist, since we got a black man to do it!".

dartkun

Mar 17, 2010
Who gives a crap?

So what if it's fan service? This is incredibly tame compared to many other games, even officially licensed ones.

I know being the lesser of two evils is not the best defense, but god this is dumb. I'm not even trying to be _that_ guy who hates on feminists. Why don't people try to stop worse offenders?

I'm going to buy it more than once to support the devs

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
"Our characters are strong, powerful women who happen to be attractive," Bartholow said in an interview with Eurogamer. "We don't have anyone like [Street Fighter's] Cammy, who wraps her legs around your leg then beats you senseless with her Kegel muscles - or whatever is going on in that Cammy Super. There was a very conscious decision not to do things like that. None of the characters use their sexuality in any aggressive way. It's just a thing they happen to be."
I like how he's putting it all into light as if it was a huge coincidence that his all female cast fighting games are attractive.
"We never meant to draw them like that, honest!"

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
The Gentleman said:
What he should have done is post a 10 minute clip from the DOA series (all of them) and then claim that whatever they're doing here is technically an improvement.
Or Soul Calibur. Or Guilty Gear. Or....you get the point. This is par for the course in fighting games. What I've seen from Skullgirls is quite tame. But it gets singled out for having an all female cast.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
This image sums it up nicely:

The dev's got the point on the head; the guys complaining are just trying to be seen to do be doing the "right thing".

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Hey, you guys remember that one time that video games were the sole cause of some people going insane an killing people? Yeah, neither do I. What about that time that a video game oppressed a minority. No? Hmmm...

Fasckira said:
Whenever I see that pic I think of Alistair from DA:O. Anyone else?

Aug 12, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Hey, a woman did it so it's totally not sexism!

...lol...

FogHornG36 said:
oh, because the Japanese don't have 100 games like this already, and when they do it, its just fine with everyone
It is? When did that happen?
Other than Rapelay, when was the last time you heard something like this happen with a Japanese hentai game?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
This is par for the course in fighting games.
Truth. Funny story: I once played Dead or Alive over a Christmas vacation with a cousin. We didn't realize it was intended to be any more fanservice-y than normal fighting games until we started unlocking bikinis.

Lyri said:
Mike Kayatta said:
"Our characters are strong, powerful women who happen to be attractive," Bartholow said in an interview with Eurogamer. "We don't have anyone like [Street Fighter's] Cammy, who wraps her legs around your leg then beats you senseless with her Kegel muscles - or whatever is going on in that Cammy Super. There was a very conscious decision not to do things like that. None of the characters use their sexuality in any aggressive way. It's just a thing they happen to be."
I like how he's putting it all into light as if it was a huge coincidence that his all female cast fighting games are attractive.
"We never meant to draw them like that, honest!"
Also truth. This game is not that bad in the grand scheme of how sexist fighters can be, but the dev's defense of it is pretty silly.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
viranimus said:
Honestly I really get tired of people stabbing each other in the back so they can claim "I am the most tolerant! I am the most politically correct"

Seriously, even if this game is pure fan service for those who enjoy fapping to imaginary animated chars, what exactly is wrong with that?
This. Just so much of this. The irony of being intolerant of intolerant people.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Am I the only one not seeing the "over-sexualization" in this game? I've seen three or four trailers now and the character design is so oddball that the last thing I notice is how the female anatomy is portrayed.

Brandon Logan

Jan 20, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Hey guise a woman was involved in this! That means it can't possibly be sexist! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic]

EDIT: Ninja'd :)
That link.....there goes my afternoon.

OT: Based on what I've seen it's drawn like very other anime.....I'm generalizing of course. I'm actually looking quite forward to the game. But, meh, haters gonna hate.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Treblaine said:
thaluikhain said:
They got a woman to do it. Are people still using that defense?

How is that different from "my best mate's sister's hairdresser's cousin is an X, and once told me that Y isn't offensive to X"?
Same reason black people can use the N-word.

Not that if one's "best mate's sister's hairdresser's cousin" is black you can't use it. Or can you. I don't know, ask Spike Lee and Quentin Tarantino to explain that one to you.
Well not really because if a woman made a film called "women: good for children and making sandwiches" that would still be sexist.

For instance Michele Bachmann said women should be subservient to their husbands (I think it was her) and that's still sexist. One woman doesn't speak for all women. And I know some black people who don't like other black people using the N word.

EDIT: I'm not saying the game is sexists or not, just that the argument of "one member of the community thinks its fine it must, therefore, be fine"

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
From what I saw of the trailer, yeah they were sexy, but they weren't being sexual. Their moves aren't sexualized. Their titties don't jiggle like the one's in that one volley ball game. It just seems like the attractiveness of the women is an aesthetic choice. (How many people here like looking at drawings of or drawing ugly women? What about even AVERAGE women?) If it's sexist to make a game in the anime aesthetic, to animate characters which look good according to your judgement, then I, personally, am a huge, unadulterated, no holds barred, motherfucking sexist.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I don't see any reason to defend the thing in the first place.

It's an utterly harmless fighting game featuring fictional women, who are certainly no less scantily clad than what have been seen/described in all mediums ever created since the dawn of time.

Unless one is offended by sexuality itself - as the prudish puritans who criticize this as "sexist" undoubtedly am - then there is nothing of note to it.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I love his choice of words: "happen to be attractive."

"Yes, here Revenge Labs it turns out when we were drawing strong, powerful women from our imagination, it turned out they just seem to accidentally possess large breasts. They totally could've been uggos. They just weren't, for some unknown reason."