Skullgirls Dev Dismisses Cries of Sexism

Maverick Dorotheo

Apr 16, 2011
No matter what you do, someone, somewhere, will always hate it. -Unknown

As for me, I welcome fanservice any day. It'll be added to my every growing collection, and my descendants will look back in time and say, "My ancestor's time was the best, fanservice-wise, not like our own. Who would want to feel pleasure via a wire hooked up to you?"

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Are they exploiting sexuality for profit? Yes.
Is this a new concept? No.
Has it been done before, and taken further? Yes.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
*goes to check game with his own eyes, comes back*

You know, i often wonder if this whole sexism crusade thing isn't seriously overblown and people of both genders need to take a chill pill and go worry about something worth worrying, and this is one of those times.

As far as showing skin goes regarding female characters in fighting games, didnt see anything particularly perverse or sexual besides the odd panty shot you really need to look out for if you want to see it and i guess, boob movement which in itself seems to be considered sexist by the politically correct peeps.

Heck even the concept isn't that sexist to me. So its an all female fighting game, but one that doesn't really emphasize sexuality unless you really want to make a big deal out of it.
Could have been an all lads fighting game (a few of the characters would likely be half naked to show off their manly muscles and pecs so would beat this game on the nakedness factor) and would be same thing in my eyes.

Only real point of contention is the guy answering "it aint sexist cos a girl did it", but seeing as the guy asking was in white knight mode, in retrospect this would be the perfect response to confuse the white knight as if the target of their crusade turns out to be female rather then male, it throws them off completely.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
I have several female friends of mine that would easily go, "Why aren't they MORE sexualised?". So really, to each their own. Don't lump everyone together.

The Touhou series of games has an exclusively female cast of characters and it's the most popular indie game in Japan.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
I actually don't like the cartoony-style art in this one bit. This isn't really anime-like art. It's more like 50s cartoons with anime aesthetic. (bouncy boobs, panty flashes, crazy attacks)

Oh and there's tons of fighters like this already out there, I think the issue here is that the makers actually are not Japanese so more people feel comfortable to confront them.

Here's something that's actually anime-like and doesn't give me the feeling of a second-hand imitation:

I love Arcana Heart, but I disagree. This cartoony art style looks fantastic. Like KND mixed with Disney. I did misspeak about labeling it an "anime aesthetic". Thanks for the correction.
To me it has the uncanny valley effect. It's sorta kinda like anime so all the differences are that much more glaring and seem more like errors in trying to achieve an anime aesthetic than intended choices in pursuit of a hybrid between cartoon and anime.

I think something like Teen Titans or Avatar achieves such a hybrid aesthetic with much grander levels of success.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Being "attractive", is subjective.

Can we just call them "curvy" and "skinny" instead?
Fair enough. I think that "fit" would be an accurate term to use. "Skinny" is a word used that has created a lot of body image problems for girls.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Dreiko said:
I'll gladly take it over this:

Does this mean you don't like first person shooters just like me?

Oh God, I love you.

Haven't played one since Halflife 2, no CoDs, no battlefields, no halos. I mainly play rpgs and fighters with a bit of action games and random anime-stuff in between. :D

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Dreiko said:
LilithSlave said:
Dreiko said:

Oh God, I love you.

Haven't played one since Halflife 2, no CoDs, no battlefields, no halos. I mainly play rpgs and fighters with a bit of action games and random anime-stuff in between. :D
So exactly like me then? That is a bit weird.
Dreiko said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
I actually don't like the cartoony-style art in this one bit. This isn't really anime-like art. It's more like 50s cartoons with anime aesthetic. (bouncy boobs, panty flashes, crazy attacks)

Oh and there's tons of fighters like this already out there, I think the issue here is that the makers actually are not Japanese so more people feel comfortable to confront them.

Here's something that's actually anime-like and doesn't give me the feeling of a second-hand imitation:

I love Arcana Heart, but I disagree. This cartoony art style looks fantastic. Like KND mixed with Disney. I did misspeak about labeling it an "anime aesthetic". Thanks for the correction.
To me it has the uncanny valley effect. It's sorta kinda like anime so all the differences are that much more glaring and seem more like errors in trying to achieve an anime aesthetic than intended choices in pursuit of a hybrid between cartoon and anime.

I think something like Teen Titans or Avatar achieves such a hybrid aesthetic with much grander levels of success.
I agree with things like Teen Titans nailing the hybrid. Meh, different opinions on the art style. The gameplay looks solid regardless.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
PurePareidolia said:
Dreiko said:
PurePareidolia said:
Sexist or not I think this game still needs to own up for that many cat puns. It's pawsitively disgraceful.
Come on, that's just pis-paw.
I apawlogize.
Don't purry about it. :p
RedEyesBlackGamer:
I agree with things like Teen Titans nailing the hybrid. Meh, different opinions on the art style. The gameplay looks solid regardless.

Oh yeah, the gameplay is actually epic, I was meerely talking about the art style here. One of the main guys is a dude called Mike-Z who uses this epic unusual Tager in blazblue, he has added a lot of guilty gear and BB elements into this so I can definitely say it'll be a blast to play.

Well, I'm not into the pony thing yet but otherwise yes I suppose. I still remember the original thing and I remember considering it "girl stuff" (and this was from a guy who enjoyed sailor moon...) and I guess the bias somewhat remains. :D

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
To be honest, crying "Sexism!" when calling out a video game in this day-and-age is basically like calling out movies for being bad; their attention is completely focused on something entirely different (games = gameplay, movies = audience pleasing). Also, I dismissed Skullgirls the instant I saw the hilariously and badly drawn character of Mrs. Victoria [http://www.xblafans.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/10/Mrs.Victoria.jpg].[footnote]Note; I don't think all of the characters in Skullgirls look bad, but the Mrs. Victoria character was the first one I saw and it didn't convince me of the game's legitimacy of being anything beyond shallow.[/footnote]

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
LilithSlave said:
Dreiko said:

Oh God, I love you.

People on the internet who dislike FPS's? What an unprecedented event!

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
HigherTomorrow said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
LilithSlave said:
Dreiko said:

Oh God, I love you.

A person who dislikes FPS's and mainly plays RPGS, fighting games, and a handful of action titles. Along with a few titles like Catherine. So it is a tad bit weird.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
thaluikhain said:
They got a woman to do it. Are people still using that defense?

How is that different from "my best mate's sister's hairdresser's cousin is an X, and once told me that Y isn't offensive to X"?
That's the wrong comparison, a better one would be "I have a [race] friend and [he/she] uses [racial slur] all the time", and an even better one would be "The word [racial slur] is in [movie] because [writer #5]-- who is [race]-- wrote that line and we're not about to override our writers because people feel uncomfortable."
Anyway, these people should be out campaigning against the illegal yet highly lucrative trade in women and girls-- some of them definitively underage-- in many parts of the world to be used like so much cheap tissue paper, not complaining about a video game that doesn't even have full frontal.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
lord.jeff said:
My solution after this game release a fighting game with noting but a bunch of sexy men.
What, you mean like Tekken Tag Tournament?

Well, not quite I guess. My point is that, while there are certainly some hot chicks in that game, the titty count in Tekken Tag (not to mention the overall mass of said tits, if you catch my meaning) is rather anemic when compared to, say, Soul Calibur 2*. Plus I'm pretty sure that all the bears, kangaroos, dinosaurs, cyborgs, and crash dummies in that game outnumber the women by at least a factor of two.

* (I was going to compare it to DOA, but then I figured I should compare apples to apples and not pick a game whose sole point is to see tits).

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
HigherTomorrow said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
LilithSlave said:
Dreiko said:

Oh God, I love you.

A person who dislikes FPS's and mainly plays RPGS, fighting games, and a handful of action titles. Along with a few titles like Catherine. So it is a tad bit weird.
And things like Disgaea and Okami...I'm right ain't I? :D

Oh and I hate racing games, they're worse than FPSs for me, utterly boring.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Dreiko said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
HigherTomorrow said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
LilithSlave said:
Dreiko said:

Oh God, I love you.

I thought SRPGs qualified under RPGs. Yes, I am a big fan of Disgaea and Nippon Ichi's games in general. I haven't place a racing game in years....I guess that means I don't like them. I never even think about them, more apathy. I haven't played Okami yet (I know, I know. That is terrible).

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
HigherTomorrow said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Dreiko said:
LilithSlave said:
Dreiko said:

Oh God, I love you.

I thought SRPGs qualified under RPGs. Yes, I am a big fan of Disgaea and Nippon Ichi's games in general. I haven't place a racing game in years....I guess that means I don't like them. I never even think about them, more apathy. I haven't played Okami yet (I know, I know. That is terrible).
Apathy is even worse than hatred cause hatred entails you care a little bit lol.

Oh and don't worry, I won't berate you, not having experienced Okami yet is punishment enough for you. You'll eventually get what I mean.