Skullgirls Dev Dismisses Cries of Sexism

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I would like to see more realistically proportioned women in pop stuff.
I would not like to see less unrealistically proportioned women in pop stuff.
Can we agree on this? I think that would be fair.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Really? Someone is calling this sexist? Come on people, don't you have real sexism to deal with?

henritje said:
it,s sexist but then again stuff like Twilight is sexist to, depicting men as hero,s that run around topless with six packs.
May I ask why you use commas instead of apostrophes?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Satsuki666 said:
Besides what type of sick fucko actually finds a headless women hot?
... well, ever hear the expression "butter face"? Seems applicable here...

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
yeah. Since when did having female characters look attractive equal sexism? Are we supposed to supress female sexuality now? Is that equality?

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
This game looks like preposterously stupid fun. I think I'll buy it. Probably would have never have even heard about it if it wasn't for this article.

Hah!

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
im seriously of the opinion theres a lot more worse things people could be complaining about then a game which features Pin-up girls...

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
REALLY? *Sigh* seems like there's always going to be people to ***** about this >.>

...Did anyone else giggle at the "om nom nom nom" moment in that clip?

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
henritje said:
dreddfan said:
To create something that offends no one, you must create nothing.
what about Kirby?
He sucks and blows and makes out with people to heal them.

Nintendo is obviously pushing the gay agenda and that offends me
/sarcasm

surg3n

May 16, 2011
EverythingIncredible said:
Skullgirls seems to me just admiration of the female form. There is absolutely nothing sexist about that.
Precisely. The characters look great, game looks very well put together - I don't even know why people would complain about it.

Women can appreciate the cute, strong women featured in this game, seems rediculous that some men can't.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
My reaction when I saw that video wasn't "this is sexist", but rather "why would anyone play as any other character than the cat girl with an attachable head?"

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Because I'm sure they have totally deep and complex personalities and emotional story-arcs...

Am I, as a feminist, offended? No.
Do I think that just because it's a woman doing the animation? No.

Women are quite cabable of being sexist as well, and towards their own sex as well, if they are unable to get away from the mindset that objectifies women and portrays them as weak and dependant of men.

I mean, the writer of Twilight is a woman, and that's horrible sexist crap. Some women fantasise about being weak and taken care of by men or manipulating them.

Also that game is question seems rather honest about it's tone and not particularly serious. But how the sexuality is portrayed is difficult to say from just that trailer, and whether they are strong characters or not, and whether they are just objects.

Talking as a someone who is attracted to women, I don't find scantily clad bimbos attractive. I want my female characters with personality, conflicts and intelligence, thank you very much.

EDIT:
Also it amuses me this is a news article of someone dismissing 'cries of sexism'. What cries of sexism? I haven't heard any complaints against this game? And now we have a thread full of people complaining about people complaining about this because people are so intolerant about... something.

So many people righteously coming to defend teh boobies in this game from the fun-hating feminists...

Really? Is this game worth caring either way? Sounds like the dev is trying to get free publicity. And if you don't have any real controversy, make one by denying everything.

Apr 5, 2008
The fact that the artist was a woman isn't that relevant. She can be just as sexist as a man, particularly when working as part of a design team who between them conceptualise all the characters.
In this case, it doesn't seem particularly sexist though. Comparing this with Dead or Alive [http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=867&q=dead+or+alive&gbv=2&oq=dead+or+alive&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1499l3066l0l3290l13l12l0l5l5l0l120l512l5.2l7l0] (NSFW), you could rename this to "Angry Amish Women".

Nathan Atkinson

Jul 10, 2011
I keep watching the trailers of this game... frankly I cant even see any panty flashes or "pervertedness" at all. I'm WAY more distracted by the over the top animation if anything else. Hell, my own mother would think that these people are being way too up tight.

hanzkidz

Sep 3, 2011
Hmm, I think the game overthinker occasionally encourages this type of behaviour. and the real question is, is it really the wrong thing? other wise why would it be called doing the right thing! im just a little bit confused can someone explain to me.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Screw it, some people are just too uptight, it looks like great fun. Hey if this game was beefcake instead of cheesecake I wouldnt be bitching about it either.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
My girlfriend and her brother are both graphic designer/illustrators and the way they pictures of animated women like this is totally different to how I do.

I think "Oh my god, I'm getting turned on by these pictures, probably others are as well. Women would not like that, I'll be the first and therefore the most believed to be offended too!"

She just thinks of it as what it is, a character design. Lets face it we all play as macho brick shithouses in games, and we don't really mind, so why would women care if in games they have big boobs?

Plus this game doesn't look to me like a volleyball sim or hentai sim. The design looks actually pretty nice, and I was underwhelmed by the level of fan service. You get much more in other fighters, as the dev said.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
"I've yet to meet a woman who has complained about it." Then, frankly, you need to get out more.

Let me be blunt. I don't find this sort of thing sexist or offensive, just tasteless. Over-sexualizing women happens all the time, but then again, so do fart jokes. Doesn't make them any more appealing.

I don't have a problem with Skullgirls doing this, because that's what they're going for. It actually bugs me more when non-stylized games do it, e.g. Isabelle and Morrigan's cleavage from the Dragon Age games. I don't hate large-breasted, scantily clad characters, but they don't appeal to me either. More realistically depicted women are much more interesting and appealing, imo.

Don't believe me? Alyx. I rest my case.

hanzkidz

Sep 3, 2011
Hey guys i checked out euro gamer, I think you would like to know that the one who is complaining is actually a woman, so their only saying that a woman does the animation to show that it was not the work of a perverted man.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen, this project is spearheaded by legendary "big guy" fighting game player Mike "Mike Z" Zaimont. I'm pretty sure he has a bit more sense than to make whatever this fuckstick is claiming he's making.

Who is "Mike Z" you ask? Why, he made this little piece of awesomeness here! :D