Skullgirls PC Beta is Now Avalaible

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Skullgirls PC Beta is Now Avalaible

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Skullgirls/status/352885881738240000]
Backers of the Skullgirls IndieGoGo campaign should check their Humble Bundle pages for a beta key.

As a little Forth of July present, Lab Zero has opened the PC beta of fighting game success story Skullgirls to anyone who contributed $36 or more during its IndieGoGo campaign. Backers should check their Humble Bundle pages for a beta key, which they can put into Steam to download the beta client.

If you missed out on backing the project, you can still buy-in to the beta by purchasing the "Skullgirls Backer" item for $36 on Lab Zero's official store. [http://labzerogames.com/store/] If you preordered the game from an outside retailer such as Gamersgate, sit tight, as Lab Zero has stated that "Yes, we will be honoring longstanding preorders. We'll also be providing beta codes for those people, too."

The Skullgirls IndieGoGo campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122926-Update-Skullgirls-First-DLC-Character-And-PC-Version-Arrives-in-July] has been one of the most heartwarming tales to come out of the crowdfunding service. Initially asking for just $150,000 to fund a single new DLC character and a PC version, the developer quickly raised over $800,000 from eager fans.

This extra money means Lab Zero will be able to develop five additional DLC characters, which will of course be released free of charge, and will be available for early testing in the PC version of the game. The two "Mystery" characters, which were chosen by a community vote, will be Beowulf [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123583-The-Results-Are-In-The-Third-Skullgirls-DLC-Character-Is-Eliza].

Squigly, the first DLC character, is available with the PC version, and the rest of the them will be released 3-4 months apart from each other. A Japanese arcade port of the game is also planned, and will include the five new characters.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Skullgirls/status/352885881738240000]

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
$36 to play the beta? I'm all for supporting Indie projects, but that is a bit nuts...unless they were trying to drastically slim-down how many people who could play beta or something. I suspect very few people contributed $36 or more.

Question, people who contributed X amount of money should get that knocked off their purchase of the final version right? So if Skullgirls releases for $50, then someone who contributed $40 should only have to pay $10 more?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Supported the "kickstarter", I was looking forward to the beta...Until the main menu itself became an obstacle.

I just pray to god that this doesn't become a bad...Bad PC port.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
mad825 said:
Supported the "kickstarter", I was looking forward to the beta...Until the main menu itself became an obstacle.

I just pray to god that this doesn't become a bad...Bad PC port.
How... how does one screw up a main menu, exactly? D:

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
lacktheknack said:
The control assignments are just horrendous beyond belief. On some screens "f", "d", "enter" or "s" is accept. There is no mouse cursor and the 360 pad is no help. I'm struggling on how to figure to change the video options, I can get to the screen/menu however I cannot highlight the options let alone change them.

For the time being I'm stuck on 640x360 windowed. Fuck it, I'll just wait till release...Sometime this month.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
My body is ready!!!!!
Lets do play this sh*t!!!!!

*I hope to not find many problems...*

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
mad825 said:
lacktheknack said:
The control assignments are just horrendous beyond belief. On some screens "f", "d", "enter" or "s" is accept. There is no mouse cursor and the 360 pad is no help. I'm struggling on how to figure to change the video options, I can get to the screen/menu however I cannot highlight the options let alone change them.

For the time being I'm stuck on 640x360 windowed. Fuck it, I'll just wait till release...Sometime this month.
HOW

Man, that's some real crappy coding right there. Even I can program a menu better than that.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Personally I was hoping Hive and Minette would make it in... still, it might be possible they'll include more characters as paid for DLC ones? Molly also looked freakin' awesome in her tank... Juju also looks nifty~

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Alar said:
Personally I was hoping Hive and Minette would make it in... still, it might be possible they'll include more characters as paid for DLC ones? Molly also looked freakin' awesome in her tank... Juju also looks nifty~
Sadly you must forget about Juju.
She is no longer an official character because of some difficulties with the one that had the idea.

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Alar said:
You wouldn't happen to be a Brazilian web comic writer/illustrator with a soft spot for Team Fortress 2 and and a penchant for drawing himself as a tentacle, would you?
[http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/1051]

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
scienceguy8 said:
Alar said:
You wouldn't happen to be a Brazilian web comic writer/illustrator with a soft spot for Team Fortress 2 and and a penchant for drawing himself as a tentacle, would you?
[http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/1051]
Sadly, no... otherwise there would likely be a much more... -ahem- questionable comic that I made along with that one.

Besides, Minette is adorable!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yuuki said:
$36 to play the beta? I'm all for supporting Indie projects, but that is a bit nuts...unless they were trying to drastically slim-down how many people who could play beta or something. I suspect very few people contributed $36 or more.

Question, people who contributed X amount of money should get that knocked off their purchase of the final version right? So if Skullgirls releases for $50, then someone who contributed $40 should only have to pay $10 more?
The $36 gets a copy of the game as well, not just access to the beta. Everybody who donated or donates (as it is still available) higher than the $10 tier gets the game on PC.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Legion said:
Yuuki said:

The $36 gets a copy of the game as well, not just access to the beta. Everybody who donated or donates (as it is still available) higher than the $10 tier gets the game on PC.
???!?

Donating to this shit now.