Sky TV to Debut on Xbox Live This Month

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sky TV to Debut on Xbox Live This Month

Sky TV, the largest pay broadcaster in the UK, is set to début services on Xbox Live later this month.

British Sky Broadcasting, or BSkyB, the largest and most established supplier of satellite TV in the UK and partly owned by Rupert Murdoch of Fox fame, is set to start providing content via Xbox Live on the 27th of October.

BSkyB is responsible for bringing shows like The Simpsons and Lost to the UK and this deal with Microsoft, which was announced just before E3 this year, was confirmed in a twitter post made by Graeme Boyd, community manager for Xbox Live on Europe.

"October 27 - that's the date when you'll be able to watch TV from Sky on your Xbox 360. Channel line-up and pricing to come at launch."

The content will apparently be analogous to BSkyB's existing 'Sky Player' service on line, and will stream movies, entertainment shows, documentaries, kids shows, music and arts and sports content. Sadly, the serivce will be restricted to the UK and Ireland.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sky-tv-to-hit-xbox-360-on-october-27]

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I'm guessing I won't get this (since I live in Canada). Ah well, have fun watching TV when you could be gaming.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
now if only the could bring the BBC to american XBL owners. theres a few shows that I'd like to watch shows such as Top Gear on my Xbox instead of paying $10 more for a cable package that includes BBC american and six other channels that i dont care about.

Banter

Apr 1, 2009
nilcypher said:
Sadly, the serivce will be restricted to the UK and Ireland.
I like.

Ignoring Australia, which we invented anyway, almost all of gaming comes out here later (Brutal legend released tomorrow here) and then there are US & Japan only releases, never UK/EU only releases so UK: 1 - America & Japan: 5 billion.
But it's a start.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Yuss! Rejoice!

England gets something first for once. About time.

[sup]We gave you your damn language, y'know.[/sup]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Skizle said:
now if only the could bring the BBC to american XBL owners. theres a few shows that I'd like to watch shows such as Top Gear on my Xbox instead of paying $10 more for a cable package that includes BBC american and six other channels that i dont care about.
You could just watch it online for free? I mean, I guess it's not on your TV and the quality of the picture may be suspect, but it is free remember?

dishwasherwong

Sep 30, 2009
Is this a better alternative than having an extra sky box upstairs and paying for the multi-room subscription?

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
I don't see the point in this when I can watch Sky in my living room whenever I feel like without the 360 sounding like a hardryer.

Or why not just watch it online on your PC/PS3 for free?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Amnestic said:
Skizle said:
You could just watch it online for free? I mean, I guess it's not on your TV and the quality of the picture may be suspect, but it is free remember?
You have to use some kind of naughtyvision to watch the beeb outside the UK, as iplayer only works here.

Technically you could use a proxy to pretend to be a Real British Person, but that tends to be slow.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
well im from the uk and i have a sky box so i dont really care

this was probably just a power move to stick the finger up to Sony and/or Virgin Media, like someone sleeping around to get back at someone else for being a dick

i think ill just use my xbox to game thank you very much

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
been intrested in this since E3 but it all comes down to the pricing really. heres hoping i can have all BBC channels blocked off so i dont have to buy into this darn TV lincence.

Jul 22, 2009
Diga1994 said:
Does anyone know if it's free to existing sky subscribers? My step dad hogs the TV downstairs...so y'know.
dishwasherwong said:
Is this a better alternative than having an extra sky box upstairs and paying for the multi-room subscription?
Its free to existing sky customers

dishwasherwong

Sep 30, 2009
GamesB2 said:
I will have to see how it works before deciding to ditch the upstairs Skybox. I admit that it will probably save money on the multi-room subscription, but if it doesn't provide all the channels I pay for, it probably isn't what I am looking for.

Jul 22, 2009
dishwasherwong said:
GamesB2 said:
I will have to see how it works before deciding to ditch the upstairs Skybox. I admit that it will probably save money on the multi-room subscription, but if it doesn't provide all the channels I pay for, it probably isn't what I am looking for.
It will give you all the channels on your current sky subscription.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
BaldursBananaSoap said:
I don't see the point in this when I can watch Sky in my living room whenever I feel like without the 360 sounding like a hardryer.

Good luck watching it on your PS3. No, really.

Skizle said:
Why? We don't get Netflix and a few other things over here. We can't watch NBC or anything online (well, legally).

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
I think Microsoft should take steps to be a true international experience. Outside US residents should have Netflix if they subscribe and I should be allowed to watch the shows I liked to watch on SKY when I lived in Ireland.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Joshimodo said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:

Good luck watching it on your PS3. No, really.
Why? I do it all the time. It has BBC iPlayer built in to the XMB and I watch "Mock the Week," and "How Not to Live Your Life," on it all the time. I also watch South Park episodes on allsp.com all the time too and Sky Player and it all works perfectly.

But whatever, continue to justify paying for what you could do for free online, you 360 owners are used to that.