Skylanders Reaches $500 Million in Record Time

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Hey Activision you know how you own the video game rights to Transformers right? well DO THE FIGURE/GAME COMBINATION WITH THEM!
0.0 ......Oh my God, that's a good idea.

They could sell Transformers that acutally transform, and have them come with whatever the hell that disk thing is under the Skylanders.

That way you could get the cool transformer toy, and use it in the game too.
Maybe they should try that.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

Oh crap... here we go again... let's hope ActiBlizz doesn't milk poor Spyro until a deformed pulp of mass is left behind.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
SupahGamuh said:

Oh crap... here we go again... let's hope ActiBlizz doesn't milk poor Spyro until a deformed pulp of mass is left behind.
Unless they start releasin new games that require new figures I don't really see that bein much of an issue. All they have to do, for now, is keepin makin new characters and people will buy it up.

On top of that though, Spyro had already been milked to death. Skylanders was breath of fresh air to the franchise that would have otherwise stayed dead.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Man, I would have loved this as a kid. Say what you will about Activision but they at least know how to run their business.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I've stocked so many of these and I was wondering what they were.
I'm amazed they didn't try MMO + Kid's toy fad before.
Disapointed to see this is Activision... seemed more like something THQ would do--that would have required actually planning and thought though.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I don't get it.. so Skylanders is Activision's 2nd kids franchise. At this rate they'll be giving Disney a run for their money.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
PunkRex said:
*Looks at wallet*... seems legit...

I grew up with Spyro (twas my first game, Purple bro-gan 4 life yo!) and even though im reeeEEEAAAAAALLLllly frustrated that he may not get a game actually about him any time soon, at least hes not a forgotten relic (Crash Bandicoot) or an angry old man who can't remember why he's here (Sonic).

Anyways, the games can be pretty fun.

Also, Tara Strong you guys, you guys Tara Strong:
I want Flashwing. I WANT FLASHWING!!!!!

If I get this game (And I probably will) I only want Spyro, Cynder, and Flashwing!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
nomaner said:
Make a REAL Spyro game Activision.
*SMACK* NO! Bad nomaner! Look at what they would do:
N. Gin is ROTTING for God's sake!

OT: I saw through the action figure bit immediately, it's like DLC really. Not to mention I watched a couple videos and never saw Spyro, so using his name is kind of... I can't say I'm happy about this, but maybe something good will come out of it, Activision could outsource making a Spyro game to Insomniac....right...right?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008

That whale is fucking badass.

I want seven, and I want him to do battle against my zbot collection.

EDIT: Actually, he seems like he's the type to battle for the forces of chaos
ANCHORS FOR THE ANCHOR THRONE

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Hnnnggggg...

I certainly wouldn't want to begrudge anyone the fun they've had with Skylanders. If people say it's a fun game, well, so be it.

I just can't help but get nostalgic for the glory days of the PS1 Spyro games. It's not really nostalgia though. I went through both Spyro 1&2 a little while ago, and they are still absolutely top notch platformers. Very few games in general manage to attain the same sort of magical atmosphere, let alone children's platformers. The only one that's come close recently is Rayman Origins. I remember being utterly bewitched by the PS1 games, and it's a captivation that still has its hold on me today.

So seeing it being transformed into this merchandising bonanza, it does make me a little wistful. It's like enjoying a magic steak buffet, only to see it get slowly processed into a McDonalds Happy Meal, complete with plasticky toys. A Happy Meal can be enjoyable, sure, but for me it doesn't really compare.

Ah well... here's to the old days.

Dude, Bro-gan fist bump for you, I know that feel.

I played the originals (1, 2 & 3) on PS1 (so did my mum funny enough) and even though I do enjoy Skylanders it doesn't have quite the same atmosphere. I never got into the later installments on PS2, found them far to grim even the one with the flying Teddy Bear fighters... still, Spyro was my first game and even if he never gets another proper platformer i'll still remember him fondly and, as you mentioned, theres alwasys hope, Rayman Origins has been my favourite game in the last few years. Just keep your purple claws crossed.

Dat soundtrack!