Skyrim and teleporting mannequin monsters.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Yes, you all know instantly what i'm talking about. Bethesda games and their characters. Those wacky, plastic, fidgety, teleporting dolls that are nearly impossible to hit with a bow or even a gun in fallout.

This has always been a massive problem with bethesda games. IF ONLY their NPC's and monsters didn't fidget the way they do maybe i could get a little more immersed in the game....

Well, ladies and gentlemen. Bethesda heard the cries of its forums.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/xbox360/archive/2011/01/17/the-technology-behind-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

They are trying their best to fix what might be the worst part of their games.

Lets hold out a little hope that they can fix this.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Teleporting? Fidgety? Huh?

I would describe them as moving with a stick up their asses, but not the above.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I think the shooting mechanics were better in Fallout: New Vegas, but it was still awkward. Glad to know their improving on it in the new Elder Scrolls.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
At first, I thought you meant this...

...only with the ability to teleport. In which case, I would instantly piss myself ten times over.

EDIT: The image will spoil your playthrough of Amnesia: The Dark Decent if you haven't beaten it yet.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
V8 Ninja said:

...only with the ability to teleport. In which case, I would instantly piss myself ten times over.
What the FUCK is that?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Steppin Razor said:
They are trying their best to fix what might be the worst part of their games.
They're getting someone else to make a bug-free engine for them?
...They got someone else to make the -buggy- one. Why would they trust someone else ever again?

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
Mannequins creep me out... even more so than clowns.... they freak me out... i hate going clothing shopping.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
oplinger said:
...They got someone else to make the -buggy- one. Why would they trust someone else ever again?
New Vegas was made on a reworked version of the engine that was used for Fallout 3, so no, someone else did not make a different engine.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Steppin Razor said:
oplinger said:
New Vegas was made on a reworked version of the engine that was used for Fallout 3, so no, someone else did not make a different engine.
They didn't make that engine is what I'm saying. The Gambryo engine was created by what is now known as Emergent Game Technologies. The engine also was not the buggy bit.

Bethesda on the other hand, made the mistake of putting together about a million 3rd party softwares into their game, which caused a lot of the bugs as they had an SDK to work with to make them play nice. It worked for some systems...but made it buggy to others. ...That's just the nature of software <.<

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
oplinger said:
Bethesda on the other hand, made the mistake of putting together about a million 3rd party softwares into their game, which caused a lot of the bugs as they had an SDK to work with to make them play nice. It worked for some systems...but made it buggy to others. ...That's just the nature of software <.<
So.... there is no solution to the problem, then? Nothing short of a complete failure of a game will be enough to get them to stop dicking about with all the crap they put in.

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
grimsprice said:
V8 Ninja said:

What the FUCK is that?
THAT is an enemy from Amnesia.

OT: Non-buggy TES? I'll have to see it to believe it. Dodging the Uncanny Valley? I need proof. Bethesda's word isn't good enough.

Nobody complained about the UV when looking at pre-release material of Oblivion, and they praised the Radiant AI as much as they did now. Though the RAI failed, if I recall correctly.

It's difficult to not buy into hype, at times, but this isn't one of those times.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Steppin Razor said:
oplinger said:
So.... there is no solution to the problem, then? Nothing short of a complete failure of a game will be enough to get them to stop dicking about with all the crap they put in.
Nah, there's a solution. ..Use different software. Which they are, they aren't using Gamebryo for Skyrim. The Creation Engine was created internally, so no SDK to work with, they can just change the engine to make everything work nicely. And I believe they're using less third party software.

They are trying! don't worry! :p

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Damn it, stop getting me excited about this game! It's getting harder and harder to remember that it's just going to a massive dissapointment if I lose myself to the hype, with half of it being promises they don't keep and the other being BUBAR (Bugged Up Beyond All Repair).

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
V8 Ninja said:

Thanks for spoiling that for my playthrough, thar.

And yeah, I would call the animations bad, but I don't recall any teleporting.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
grimsprice said:
V8 Ninja said:

What the FUCK is that?
That would be one of the monsters from Amnesia: The Dark Descent. They're pretty terrifying.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to the punch, so I'll just say this: "What he said."