Skyrim Beaten In Just Over Two Hours

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
I haven't played any Elder Scrolls games (Please don't hate me) and this kinda worries me. I couldn't finish Fallout 3 because I was bored to death of looking at the dead-brown-green landscape, and the quests (Main and secondary) weren't enough to keep me going. Do you think Skyrim will be anything like Fallout 3 :/

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Balls Mandingo said:
central story in RPGs is always a breeze to go through. I'm sure you could beat Fallout 3s story even quicker if you know where to look for your dad right off the bat.
This. I have over 300 hours played in Oblivion and I've never finished the main quest

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Pat8u said:
DanielBrown said:

Pretty sad actually. I had hoped they put a bit more effort into the main story...
Oh well, the game will last me for a long while in either case.
remember its a speedrun, read the article
Yeah, I read it(sort of), but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. :eek:

Simeon Ivanov said:
Do you think Skyrim will be anything like Fallout 3 :/
No, Skyrim will be mainly forests and mountains. The Elder Scrolls series are fantasy RPGs in a medieval setting, so it won't have much in common with Fallout 3 as far as looks go.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
moose49408 said:
Why would anyone try to beat the game that fast? Isn't the whole point of a Bethesda style game to explore the terrain, find hidden secret stories told through the environment and experience the rich expanse of side quests and adventures to be had that have nothing to do with the main quest? I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, and I fully anticipate putting hundreds more into Skyrim. I mean I get the idea of a speed run, but with a game like this, that almost doesn't seem like an accomplishment.

EDIT: Or at the very least it defeats the purpose...
They have been playing it for around a year. He was one of the QA testers.

Bathesda have a competition on every game they release amongst it's development team and testers who can beat it fastest in a speed run.

They have already spent 12 months playing the shit out of them it's just a bit of fun.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Igen said:
20+ hours into Dark Souls, about half way through. Might pick up Skyrim once its discounted.
100% off topic and random ass comment, go listen to this while looking at your avatar. I had it playing on spotify when I browsed your post xD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-yC0xcI9s

(Still haven't figured out how to embed).

Edit: Also, speedrun. It's going to be atleast the same size as oblivion and you should know that. Shame on you for being ignant ;P.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Azmael Silverlance said:
So knowing tricks to speed past quests in ok. but that means also the difficulty is also messed up i dont know finishing a game in 2 hour that took months and months to make....meh
I usually always spend extra time finishing games compared to my friends Because i take in the game world as much as possible.
Sigh. It was a speedrun. It wasn't a proper playthrough, and of course it would only involve the main quest. He was an experienced player of the game, and he would have known all the tips and tricks involved. Most of us will likely spend two hours just in the opening areas of the game, including character creation!

It doesn't mean the difficulty is messed up, it doesn't mean the game is short, it means one guy - whose job it is to test the game repeatedly - has done a speedrun of the main quest that took him 2hrs. It is not representative of content, quality nor the balance of the game.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am, somewhat bemused that members of the Q.A team would rather try to speed beat the game than to fix what must be some serious flaws in the game's core structure. It's a Bethesda game running on Gamebryo 3.0, have you fixed the CTD issues that were present in your previous titles? No, I bet you haven't, a two hour run to beat the game and you probably just rubber stamped "No bugs found" and shipped it on its way.

Two hours huh? Does that include loading times? If it were on PC, what were the specs and graphical settings?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
AngryFrenchCanadian said:
Damn, that's pretty impressive. I wonder if he still like the game even though he had to play it so many times. From what I hear, playtesters tend to develop an aversion for the game they are testing.
It happens to musicians too, few songs they make they can actually stand to hear later on.

OT:This would be blasphemy if it weren't done by a Bethesda employee.

zorrandur

Mar 8, 2010
Igen said:
20+ hours into Dark Souls, about half way through. Might pick up Skyrim once its discounted.
your avatar just gave my girl and i a horrible giggle (in a good way)

OT this makes me want to speed run oblivion, only because i've played the bejesus outta it already.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, Elder Scrolls games aren't beaten by completing the main quest. My friend just completed Morrowind and all expansions as in he did every quest in the game.

I've lately been trying to get through Oblivion as fast as I can to get all the Gamer score and even doing all the mages guild quests and the main quest line has brought me up to about 30 hours. I even speed run oblivion gates... although I imagine checking every chest and managing inventory to maximise profit to weight ratios adds a considerable amount of time.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
moose49408 said:
Why would anyone try to beat the game that fast? Isn't the whole point of a Bethesda style game to explore the terrain, find hidden secret stories told through the environment and experience the rich expanse of side quests and adventures to be had that have nothing to do with the main quest? I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, and I fully anticipate putting hundreds more into Skyrim. I mean I get the idea of a speed run, but with a game like this, that almost doesn't seem like an accomplishment.

EDIT: Or at the very least it defeats the purpose...
Well that was the point of this exercise. Beat it as fast as possible. unless you are purposefully going for a speed run, it'll take MUCH longer to beat. Heck, the record for Morrowind speed-run is something silly like 6 mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_fFApDyki4

Edit: seems someone beat me to it, but the point is the same.

Apr 5, 2008
2 hours? That's slow!

Morrowind has been beaten in 7m30s [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1IRxTN-_kU] and Oblivion beaten in 11m19s [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfmdl9-tnSU] (albeit the latter using an exploit).

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
"as well as a pie of his choice, baked by director Todd Howard"...
I approve. Highly.

And it is longer than fallout 3, which I used months on.
I approve. highly.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
2 hours huh? I'll count myself lucky if I finish the game in two months.

Still, good for him. And he got pie! That's a plus.
Yes, but it was pumpkin pie, so a bit of a letdown really.

Anyway, just because the speed run was an hour longer than Oblivion's (and Fallout 3's) doesn't mean that Skyrim's main questline is necessarily longer; the quests could just be structured in such a way as to prolong certain parts of it more, or make it harder to skip through other parts (like the Mythic Dawn Commentaries quest in Oblivion, or the Allies for Bruma quest).