Skyrim could learn something from a Half Life 2 mod

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Even though I enjoy Skyrim very much, I can't deny that the combat in Skyrim is mediocre. That's disappointing, considering I was hoping for the combat to be much better around this time. But there's a game that does melee combat EXTREMELY well, probably the best melee combat game out today: Pirates, Vikings and Knights II. Here's how the combat works in that game: Your melee swings vary on the direction you're moving in. Move forward while attacking, and you'll perform a powerful overhead swing. Move sideways while attacking, and you'll perform a sweeping attack that doesn't do as much damage but can hit multiple times over a broad area. Move backwards while attacking, and you'll butt the enemy with the handle of your weapon or do an accurate forwards jab. In Skyrim, however, your character just flails around in combat like a drunken Orc. It's gotten to the point where I LONG for PVKII's far superior gameplay, even though it's only an independent mod with a small community. The two-handed combat is also handled much better. In PVKII, the Berserker class wields a dual onehanded axe/sword combo. Hold down the mouse button, and he'll continually attack with each weapon, unleashing a flurry of fast but weaker blows as you can mow down enemies. In Skyrim, you have to keep clicking the mouse buttons over and over again to attack, but only get the ability to unleash both weapons at the same time with an EXTREMELY stamina-consuming attack that locks your character in place. Again, PVKII beats out a multi-million dollar AAA title.

In addition, Skyrim lacks satisfying combat. The finishers are nice, but hitting enemies sounds more like you're chopping would than delivering a devestating blow with your gigantic axe. In PVKII, each hit gives you the satisfying sound of an opponent yelping in pain accompanied by the melodic sound of flesh being torn apart. Again, much better done. Say what you want about Skyrim having quests, and a huge world, and all that, but would it really kill the developers to spend some time making a decent combat system? They pour all this effort into the game, and still can't make melee combat less awkward and stiff. In the mean time, I'll be waiting for a mod that makes the combat ANY more bearable.

craftomega

May 4, 2011
*Sigh*

<- Agree's Skyrims combat is very simplistic, very stiff, and just not very good. I love the game, but only because nothing better has come out. Its the best chioce out of crap, so meh....

I could really get into this but I didnt bring my flame retardent.

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
Sounds similar to the melee combat in Mount & Blade. And that game is awesome. I have never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls, mostly due to the combat and leveling/scaling problems.

PVK sounds awesome though...

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I didn't like PVK because it used the source engine which is filled with collision detection problems and bugs. Also, TES3 Morrowind utilized directional attacks like PVK but they decided to simplify it because it kind of sucked and its easier for players to just run up and hit stuff instead of trying to dance around trying to get their attacks to work a certain way.

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
Also see: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. A simpler version, but it still had combat very similar to PVK.

Also, as previously stated, Mount n Blade had some pretty epic melee combat.

Weentastic

Dec 9, 2011
Hey I remember when combat moves were dependent on your input! It was way back in freaking Morrowind. Good thing the developer slid the story/gameplay slider to a nice, mediocre 50/50 setting. Now the people with more than an ounce of attention won't be happy, and any impatient person waiting for a good fight will have to wait a lot longer. Also, anyone who would rather not have their combat experience violently disrupted by an out of body experience will also be disappointed.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yes combat does feel a little like Condemned. Ah well, if it's broken, we can mod it!

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Black Arrow Officer said:
Well PVKII has actually spent a lot of time on its combat mechanics and it's animation as that is one of the major features of the game (the other being the gamemodes but who really does them when you can attack people) whereas Skyrim has focused more on it's story and questing system as well as the world of Skyrim rather than it's combat which kinda the reason why it's lacking. But if Bethesda had spent even more time on it, I'm pretty sure someone somewhere would have disliked it all the same. Oh and I remember PVKII's combat when it was in it's earlier stages. Just be glad you do damage each time you hit an enemy in Skyrim cause PVKII's hitboxes were near to non-existant and the combat was laggy back then.