Skyrim: Dragonborn Review

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Hopefully, when this comes out for PC, the modding community will figure out how to make the dragon mounts better.

What I wouldn't give for a proper Dragonlance mod...

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
That thumbnail picture for the review reminds me of a certain Dark Elf Corsair captain...

And it just so happens that we go back to the land of the Dunmer in this DLC! Well, ain't that peachy?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Huh. So, in a game known principally for it's multitude of playstyles and free roaming, they add a transportation mechanic that doesn't actually contribute much to the free roaming? I did not see that coming. But I do find it hilarious. I guess it's out so that you don't just breeze through the game, roasting everything in the province atop a dragon?

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Tanis said:
Hopefully, when this comes out for PC, the modding community will figure out how to make the dragon mounts better.

What I wouldn't give for a proper Dragonlance mod...
Give it a few months after the pc release and there's a good chance the workshop and/or nexus community will deliver.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Really good review, but try to speak a little bit slower next time. I could see some people having trouble hearing you when watching the video review.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Riding a dragon is more like trying to ride a bull, they are wild animals, and I doubt they particularly care for you using a shout to warp their mind, and while you may be able to get a bull to turn its head in a direction to where its horn hurt your enemies, it still retains the majority over the control of where it goes.
Dragons are not wild animals, however. They are intelligent, sentient beings with whom you can clearly and directly communicate without any training or special language required. You might have to use a shout to get them on your side, it's not like you'd need to teach them how to respond to spurs; you should be able to say, "Make a left here," and the dragon would understand what you've said and respond appropriately. If you can direct them to attack specific targets, surely you could direct them to do a barrel roll just as easily.

Comparing dragons to inanimate objects or animals that don't comprehend human speech isn't really accurate.

That said, I could care less, I wouldn't want to ride a dragon anyway. I don't even like riding the horses in Skyrim. Better maneuverability just staying on your feet.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Interesting, have you ever reviewed a game previously because up to this point I have not heard your voice?

On topic I will hold off downloading this until someone gets around to making the dragons 100 percent controllable. They toted dragon taming in the trailers, not bartering with a bus driver. They will be duly punished by not having me throw my money at them just yet.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Li Mu said:
Riding dragons is for losers. The only good dragon is a dead one.
You're never going to strike me down, puny human.

OT:

I was wondering how they were going to make dragon riding work because of Bethesda's horrible dance with texture pop-in. I guess they found a way.

Apr 28, 2008
Hopefully when it comes out on the PC a modder makes the dragons controllable.

This DLC didn't interest me with the dragon riding, though. What really interested me was returning to Morrowind (well, Solstheim, but you get the idea). Glad to hear the DLC is good, can't wait for it to come out on PC.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Bleh, from the first view of Dragonborn i was iffy about the whole dragon riding since i don't even own a horse in Skyrim... i don't even keep companions with me. The Dunmer are a solitary bunch >_>

Since i was never particularly interested in the mounts anyway it's good to hear that the new area is just as absorbing as Skyrim always was. I'm looking forward to experiencing some of that Morrowind atmosphere since i never actually played the genuine article.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
SajuukKhar said:
Proverbial Jon said:
The ability to "ride a dragon" does give one the impression that there will be a certain amount of control to be had over the aforementioned mount.
When you ride on a plane do you control where it goes?
When you ride on a boat do you control it?
when you are ride in a car, are you driving it?
When you ride on a train are you setting the stations it stops as?

The answer to all of those questions is no, because riding is a passive action. Riding is something you do when you are in a mode of transportation, but you yourself are not actively controlling said means of transportation.

Now, had they said "control" a dragon, or "pilot" a dragon, or "steer" a dragon, you would have a valid point.
To counter your argument:

When you ride a horse do you control/steer it?

Why yes, yes you do. In fact I would say a horse is the better comparison in this case because it is a living, breathing creature. It has a mind of its own, its own impulses and reactions but they can be directed and channelled to do what you wish if you know what to do.

As far as the game lore goes I figured the Dragonborn would have this level of control over a dragon. As far as the game's limitations go... well, let's just say I should have known better.
Have you ever gotten on a horse? You don't so much control it as you do aim it and cross your fingers. (depending on the horse, of course)

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Review seemed rather stilted, you can't just read what your text review said, anyone can do that. A vocal video review needs to add something; look at bob or yahtzee, their video pieces are often more expressive than their written articles. Apart from that I cant fault what is (from my POV) your first escapist piece.

OT: Haven't played it and tbh nothing in any of the skyrim DLCs has got me thinking "I have to play this", there's just not enough to make me think this is worth the extra money.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Only watched the video review and it was not well done. The whole first segment on dragon riding? Tiny part of the DLC that's not that interesting. She fails to mention that its not only Solstheim but the realm of Apocrypha as well. Also the huge number of easter eggs and throw backs to Bloodmoon and Morrowind were ignored as well.

Most people want this DLC for its nostalgia quality (it includes Morrowind's music), and a new Deadric realm is a big deal for a lot of Elder Scrolls players. You don't need to mention that the realm you go to is Apocrypha, but it should still be mentioned.

The reviewer didn't seem interested or even knowledgeable about the DLC. Werebears, Kaarstag, OP werewolf items if you find the pack, heaps of interesting side quests, this DLC has a lot to offer fans of Skyrim, but more so fans of the Elder Scrolls.

I did think the main quest was enjoyable but left something to be desired, wasn't as epic as I had hoped.

EDIT: I see that most of the comments are about dragon riding... Only a small, small part of the DLC people and the reviewer should not have intro'd with it or made such a big deal about it. Not to mention that fully controlled dragon riding would probably be pretty game breaking.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Yep, pretty much what I thought it would be. More Elder Scrolls is all I really needed, the dragon riding just sweetened the deal. That said, I'm not terribly upset that it's as lame as I figured it would be. I have a 360, but own this game for the PC specifically for the modding. That said, I can't wait for this to come out for the PC and see how the modders will improve on Dragon Taming.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Nasrin said:
Skyrim: Dragonborn Review

Riding a dragon isn't that great, but the DLC is worth it.

Read Full Article
Dat Avatar <3

I'm really looking forward to this :3 Just have to wait for a while because PC version :< I thought when they said about the month exclusive thing for xbox they mean the first dlc only...oh well.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Soooo...
Anyone want to place bets on how long after PC release, before we get a Bloodmoon total conversion in skyrim?