Skyrim Hi-Res Texture Pack Gets Huge Update

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Skyrim Hi-Res Texture Pack Gets Huge Update

Bethesda has released a massive update to the free Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack on Steam to include the recently-released DLC.

The Dragonborn [http://store.steampowered.com/app/226880/] DLC hit Steam yesterday, but today Bethesda released something possibly even more interesting: An update to the High Resolution Texture Pack that adds support for Dragonborn as well as the Hearthfire and Dawnguard DLC expansions.

The improved textures make the game look glorious, but the eye candy comes with a steep price tag. If you have the recommended system specs for Skyrim, you can just sit back down, mister, because that's not going to cut it. You'll need a bare minimum of a quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM and a DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with a minimum 1GB RAM, and odds are that if that's all you've got, you'll have at least a few struggles with performance.

On the upside, it's free, which is pretty solid. It's also exclusive to the PC, and more specifically to Steam, and it's a beefy beast: The update to the latest version of the Skyrim hi-res texture pack is a whopping 4.7 GB in size. Got time for that? Then get it at Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/202485/].

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
You know, assuming that this time it isn't horribly buggy with missing textures.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'll put a linky here for people like me who do want bigger textures but not quite this big.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801

Allows you to optimize, compress and resize textures for the best possible performance.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Gotta say, I always smirk when people say you "need" to have this, this, and this. Most of the time I've found that tweaking other settings, particularly in an ini file, you can get so much more out of your machine. Plus, 30fps is fine for the most part. I'll download this when I get home and see how well my Core 2 works out.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I did wonder why I got a huge update today. I thought perhaps Dragonborn hadn't yet been installed as I had bought it but did not have time to play it yesterday.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Well, my computer would burst into flames if I tried to run skyrim with this, but I respect Bethesda for doing something for the more niche, powerful machines crowd. So props to 'em.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
I don't know mate, ENBs pretty much made everything pretty without the expense of performance.

Lighting mods and such make Skyrim pretty as it is. It's not like you're gonna be spending a long while looking the wall or anything. And there are several armour and landscape mods which add or remove stuffs!

But then again, I shouldn't be mildly complaining.

It's free after all.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I always thought that the hi-res texture pack was a nice thing. I mean, the textures are usually made at high resolutions and then scaled down, so it's not like it was a ton of work to make the pack, but it's still pretty convenient (even more so because it's a separate download, so you don't have to waste time and bandwidth downloading it if you aren't going to use it), and it's a really nice gesture to the pc community. I'm glad to see that it's including the DLCs.

Dec 14, 2009
[HEADING=1]Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeah![/HEADING]

I re-bought Skyrim when I got my new PC back in December. It's just so much better that I don't think I could ever touch the console version again.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
[HEADING=1]Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeah![/HEADING]

I re-bought Skyrim when I got my new PC back in December. It's just so much better that I don't think I could ever touch the console version again.
Same here, I was all about playing on console like I did with oblivion (at first), but when I upgraded to the PC version, with the first wonderful high-res pack and all the delicious improvement mods, yeah. Whole different game, it's like playing one of those poor games that got a ps2 and ps3 release and seeing the differences between them. Plus, if I want to "sit back and play on the couch with a controller" (my original reason for getting it on console), well, that's what a 360 controller and HDMI cable are for, right?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
These specs don't sound all that high. My laptop was like $500 CAD and it has most of these specs (minus the video card, only got .5 GB memory).

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Oooh, happy me. I've got a shiny computer that I got this past fall for $2000(I overpaid a bit, that's Canadian $ with taxes), so nothing is touching its limits yet, and I have been playing Skyrim again lately. This makes me very happy. If only I could get all my mods to work nicely together, too.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Well I can say the pack does in fact make the dawnguard weapons and armor a little more visually appealing. The ebony bow's vanilla textures seem to have been bumped up again slightly along with fixing the ebony armor's vanilla neck mesh issue. Overall I love seeing Bethesda dedicate some resources to the PC specifically.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
So that's what's been eating up my bandwidth for the past couple of hours. I thought it was just a general update.
Anyway, I'm all for this. Anything to make skyrim even more of a gorgeous eye-candy fest.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I like high res textures but the last high res pack was just bloated. There were better looking textures on the nexus at smaller file sizes.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Only downside to this is that I have to disable the Hi-Rez pack till the Modding community fixes all the new Bugs...

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
So glad I just started playing it again. This will be a nice little addition to my 6 core.