Skyrim Mod: Falskaar Adds 20 Hours of Gameplay

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Skyrim Mod: Falskaar Adds 20 Hours of Gameplay

The mod is on par with any official Skyrim DLC, containing a new soundtrack, professional voice acting, and an entirely new zone.

Bethesda may be done with Skyrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123296-Bethesda-Claims-Its-Done-With-Skyrim], but thanks to the tireless efforts of the PC modding community, it doesn't mean the Dragonborn's journey has to end. Modder Alexander J. Velicky has just released his Falskaar mod, a massively ambitious project with content that's on par with any of the official Skyrim DLC packs. The mod contains an entirely new land roughly 1/3 the size of the original Skyrim map, and boasts 20 - 30 hours of extra gameplay.

The mod has the player complete 26 quests, including a 9-quest-long main story, and 17 side quests. All of these quests are fully voiced, featuring professional and semi-professional voice actors. Composer Adamm Khuevr has produced 14 new songs for the mod, adding over 40 minutes of new music, including a new in-game bard with three unique songs.

Other features include new items, including new books, recipes, weapons and armor sets, two new spells and a new shout. The mod is also completely navmeshed, so you shouldn't have any problem bringing your followers with you to Falskaar.

You only need the base version of Skyrim in order to install the mod. To install Falskaar, simply extract all items in the archive into your Skyrim/Data [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37994/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D37994&pUp=1] folder.

The scope of this mod is absolutely massive, and Velicky has been working tirelessly on it for over a year. The quests and the voice acting are so polished, you'd swear you were playing official Bethesda-sanctioned content. It's stuff like this that makes me sad whenever I hear that future games won't have mod support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125024-Battlefield-4-Wont-Support-Mods]. Mods can really enhance the experience and breath life into games developers have long since abandoned.

Velicky says he made the mod because he love game design, and wants a job at Bethesda Game Studios as a level designer. If you're reading this, Bethesda, give this man a job!

Source: Skyrim Mod Feature [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37994//?]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
It's stuff like this that makes me sad whenever I hear that future games won't have mod support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125024-Battlefield-4-Wont-Support-Mods].
For a second, I thought you meant future Bethesda games, and you scared me. Given that TESO won't have real mod support (for obvious reasons), it wouldn't surprise me if they were ditching support of future Fallout and TES games. :(

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Add this to another list of reasons why I shouldn't have bought this for my PS3.

I was seriously annoyed when they announced no more DLC. I just don't want my adventures to be over and done already! Still, there's always TESO, which I'm getting dangerously hyped about.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
These are the kinds of news stories that make me love this site. That is a very impressive piece of work for one passionate fan to do and he deserves a huge amount of respect.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Gamers making games. It's so simple it's genius. I think both PS4 and Xbox One have games that will give gamers the ability to craft their own worlds as well as interact with them. A variable sandbox to create wondrous things. I can understand why some publishers might not want the player-based modding, but it's so exciting when you get things like these from the public. Shows there's alot more than game junkies.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
How weird that I got the urge to play a new game last night... WELP. No time like the present. Cheers for the heads up.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
That voice acting sounds amazing.

Such great timing too, I just spent the better part of last night installing mods before I restart Skyrim.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
or since it is on nexsus just use the Nexsus Mod Manager and all you have to do is say i want this give it to me now and let me taste all your binary goodness ... er well yeah

anyway sounds cool i might give it a wirl mods are why gaming is better on PC

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is awesome. This is one of the reasons I love TES. It's like every mod is a piece of DLC and you get it all for free. And this one is huge. Unbelievable.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It makes me happy that the Elder Scrolls games have such a large and active modding community. I was really disappointed when Bethesda announced they were done with Skyrim after they released Dragonborn. I thought they would have stuck with it a bit longer than 3 DLC's, none of them all that big, not to mention one of them was already a mod. And personally I was hoping for DLC that was Thalmor themed.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
You know, I'd been waiting for the price to come down before I bought Skyrim, and between this news and the Steam Summer Sale, I think the time is right. Thank you obscenely dedicated modder, Alexander J. Velicky. If I pick up the mod, I'll be sure to donate a couple dollars. You deserve it.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
And this is why you should never buy Elder Scrolls games or their relatives for consoles. Even before this mod was released I easily added 200 hours of gameplay to Skyrim with other mods. Have to say I'm itching again to give it another go.

But that's the disadvantage of mods: after being gone a while updating your entire list of like 100+ mods to work with the newest patch is hell.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
God, I love the entire concept of modding! That said, I'm going to wait a bit so other people can be the guinea pigs for testing mod compatibility.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Starke said:
Steven Bogos said:
It's stuff like this that makes me sad whenever I hear that future games won't have mod support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125024-Battlefield-4-Wont-Support-Mods].
For a second, I thought you meant future Bethesda games, and you scared me. Given that TESO won't have real mod support (for obvious reasons), it wouldn't surprise me if they were ditching support of future Fallout and TES games. :(
if they release another TES (i'm scared its going to pull a KOTOR and say all the future games are in TESO) they would be mad to lock out modding, the post main lanuch sales on PC are fairly high, and alot of people buy in knowing their will be mods.

it would probally murder TES on PC if they said "no more modding"

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Cool.

I use SkyRe though, so until a proper patch is released, I'll keep my eye on it :D
The author says that it should be fine, so there shouldn't be many issues.

You can always use the ReProccer [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28467//?] to make sure any new items have the right stats.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Damn it, I have final exams to prepare for. Damn awesome modders.

Voulan said:
Add this to another list of reasons why I shouldn't have bought this for my PS3.

I was seriously annoyed when they announced no more DLC. I just don't want my adventures to be over and done already! Still, there's always TESO, which I'm getting dangerously hyped about.
The basic game costs $30 while the Legendary Edition (all DLC included) costs $60 on Steam. It'll probably get a 66%/75% sale at some point, which means you might be able to the the basic game for as low as $7.50. Just add it to your Steam wishlist and you'll get an email when it's on sale.