Skyrim Question: Does wearing a shield nullify the Mage Armor perk in the Alteration Tree?

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I really want to do a Conjuration + Alteration + Block + 1 handed weapons build, but I'm not sure if using the shield will nullify Alteration's Mage Armor perk and force me to wear light or heavy armor for protection.

Anybody know?

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
Muphin_Mann said:
No i dont...but considering how nerfed magic is in this game...probably.
Are you kidding me? Magic's nerfed? Damn, dude...You don't have the Shock Bolt spell yet, I see. Dual-wielding it causes stagger on every hit, and instant vaporization

And don't even GET me started about Conjuring...Fire Atronach? Pfft. Storm? Oh hell yes. Dremora Lord? Let's tank three dragons and a Dragon Priest, aiight?

It's so overpowered that it's not funny. And before you ask, I played on Expert. Maybe not master, but I find master boring; - All you do is hit enemies with a bit extra life. And the pots you have to drink! Ahhgh.

sta697

Mar 31, 2011
yes i guess but why do you need a shield you should always dual wield magic,impact is broken

SideSlyGuy

Jul 7, 2009
It wont. You need to have an armor rating of 0 for the talent to work. You could try casting the spell with your left hand and then equipping the shield.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
sta697 said:
yes i guess but why do you need a shield you should always dual wield magic,impact is broken
I was hoping to stack the shield's 50% elemental protection perk with Alteration's magic resistance perk and basically ignore spellcasters.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
dave1004 said:
Muphin_Mann said:
Are you kidding me? Magic's nerfed? Damn, dude...You don't have the Shock Bolt spell yet, I see. Dual-wielding it causes stagger on every hit, and instant vaporization

And don't even GET me started about Conjuring...Fire Atronach? Pfft. Storm? Oh hell yes. Dremora Lord? Let's tank three dragons and a Dragon Priest, aiight?

It's so overpowered that it's not funny. And before you ask, I played on Expert. Maybe not master, but I find master boring; - All you do is hit enemies with a bit extra life. And the pots you have to drink! Ahhgh.
It lacks depth. Compared to the previous titles in the series their are very few spells and little you can do with them.

Also, if you want the magic needed to cast a lot of spells your going to neglect your health, which means any enemy with a 2-handed weapon will one shot you unless you wear a ton of armor.
Granted, if you max out enchanting it becomes instant win with free cast spells but that requires a lot of grinding...you can break any RPG with enough grinding.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
sta697 said:
That's not how role-playing works! D:

Anyways, apparently the spell only works if your armor is zero, so it looks like it won't work with a shield. Sorry.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Here's a quick question... How exactly do you level Alteration? I spam oakflesh, yet it does nothing to improve my alteration skill. So, I assumed that I needed to get hit while the spell was active, but that didn't help either. Am I doing something wrong?

Vedrenne78

Dec 1, 2011
Go to a city and cast Detect Life repeatedly, spam Candle/Magelight, Telekinesis an object and throw it about. Stuff!

1-up

May 12, 2011
Liquid Paradox said:
Here's a quick question... How exactly do you level Alteration? I spam oakflesh, yet it does nothing to improve my alteration skill. So, I assumed that I needed to get hit while the spell was active, but that didn't help either. Am I doing something wrong?
Armor spells only level you up if an enemy is around - even then I don't think it works by spamming. Like the above poster mentioned, Telekinesis seems to be the most time-efficient. Candle/Magelight might do it, but if it levels you up it's slowly. Haven't learned Detect Life so can't comment on that - need to just buy the tome when I think of it.

Transmute is also very effective - changing cheap iron ore to gold ore = win.

Darn shame Stability is so lousy. I was hoping it would double or triple the times so I wouldn't have to be bothered recasting my buffs all the time - 50% is something but hardly convenient. Really wish the descriptions on the perks were better.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
From what I've read from the other perk descriptions of armor, you only need to wear a full outfit of armor (feet, body, head, arms)

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Random question to highkack the thread. If I make an Orc Mage does berserk double the power of my destruction spells? I want to recreate my Orc warlock from wow...

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
Muphin_Mann said:
dave1004 said:
Muphin_Mann said:

It lacks depth. Compared to the previous titles in the series their are very few spells and little you can do with them.

Also, if you want the magic needed to cast a lot of spells your going to neglect your health, which means any enemy with a 2-handed weapon will one shot you unless you wear a ton of armor.
Granted, if you max out enchanting it becomes instant win with free cast spells but that requires a lot of grinding...you can break any RPG with enough grinding.
I just wore heavy armor with a couple of points in it. I got Orcish at level 1, you can find it if you go to that once city. Pain in the ass to explain, meh. Armor doesn't seem to nullify magic, so no, you won't die immediately. And "Lacking Depth" does not mean "Nerfed".

I never used Enchanting either, or smithing for that matter. I found a pair of steel bootsies early on with -17% Dest. magic costs, a pair of steel gloves with -12% of the same, and another Orcish breastplate with -17% and +50% mana regen, if I remember correctly. Combine it with 200+ magic, and you're good to go. Maybe I'm just lucky?

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Pinstar said:
I was hoping to stack the shield's 50% elemental protection perk with Alteration's magic resistance perk and basically ignore spellcasters.
You can't as there is a level cap to 85% for Magic resistance.

Anyway on Normal difficulty I got 22% x2 for Rings and Neclace +15 Points from Mara Agent and not one spellcaster hurt anymore.