Skyrim Special Edition Mods Limited to 1GB on PS4, 5GB on Xbox One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Skyrim Special Edition Mods Limited to 1GB on PS4, 5GB on Xbox One

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357271.png
You'll only be able to install 1 GB worth of mods on the PS4 version of Skyrim: Special Edition.

Ahead of this Friday's launch of F.A.Q page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168674-New-Skyrim-Special-Edition-Gameplay-Trailer-Shows-Off-Comparisons-to-Original] with some more information. Specifically, it relates to mods, and more specifically, the size limitations for PS4 and Xbox One. While Xbox One users will be able to install up to 5GB of mods, PS4 users will be limited to just 1GB.

"For Skyrim Special Edition, Mods will reserve 5 GB and 1 GB of space on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, respectively," wrote the developer. Of course, the PC version of the game has no such limitation.

While 1GB certainly doesn't seem like a lot of space for mods, you have to remember that Sony has refused to allow custom external assets [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168563-Fallout-4-Skyrim-Mods-on-PS4] for both Skyrim and Fallout 4 mods, meaning only mods that already use existing in-game assets are allowed. As external assets are usually the largest part of a mod, 1GB seems like it would be enough.

Fallout 4, by the way, has this same discrepancy. It offers 2 GB space on Xbox One but, when the feature does eventually launch on PS4 it will cap mods at 900 MB.

Source: Bethesda [https://bethesda.net/en/article/25B2dGBtDacUaS2KOUsoMq/skyrim-special-edition-gone-gold-and-system-requirements]

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
While I think the size limitations are stupid. Is the 1GB restriction that major for the PS4? After all, you are already being denied access to any third party files. That means the downloading of large amounts of new textures, models, etc. are unlikely.

Either way, it is a shame console players are getting such a poor version of Skyrim modding.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I wonder why Sony hates mods so much. What's up with all the restrictions? Is this because if the users install too many mods the game might start lagging and then everyone will realise the PS4 isn't the monstrous high-performance powerhouse we all thought it was?

Because we already know, Sony. We already know.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Fulbert said:
I wonder why Sony hates mods so much. What's up with all the restrictions? Is this because if the users install too many mods the game might start lagging and then everyone will realise the PS4 isn't the monstrous high-performance powerhouse we all thought it was?

Sony moved their corporate headquarters to The Nile. No, wait. I screwed that joke up.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Fulbert said:

I?d say it?s because Sony has failed to properly maintain their internal security systems to prevent hacks and takedowns. Either Sony has horrible online infrastructure, or Microsoft and Nintendo can maintain a better online security network. Sony?s been hacked and taken down multiple times, yet when I look up information regarding Microsoft and Nintendo, I?m not showing anything for Nintendo and all Microsoft ones are in conjunction with Sony?s being down.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I dare you to fill 1 gb with just code, not using giant textures and sound files.
In fact, type up 1 mb of text, see how that goes.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
InsanityRequiem said:
Fulbert said:

I?d say it?s because Sony has failed to properly maintain their internal security systems to prevent hacks and takedowns. Either Sony has horrible online infrastructure, or Microsoft and Nintendo can maintain a better online security network. Sony?s been hacked and taken down multiple times, yet when I look up information regarding Microsoft and Nintendo, I?m not showing anything for Nintendo and all Microsoft ones are in conjunction with Sony?s being down.
If what someone told me a while back is true, some of Sony's servers are actually on loan from Microsoft. Word is, Sony needed the power to compensate for their much larger online community earlier in the generation, and MS ended up renting out their online for Sony to use.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Skyrim: Soecial-Ed edition

Why is anyone bothering with consoles anymore nowadays? They are essentially weaker PCs with limited functionality. You cant even put in the disc and emidiantly play anymore most of the times because you have to first install the game (wich takes for friggin ever even compared to PCs) then download the unavoidable DAY 1 Patch wich will also take forever (like with mafia 3 on wich sony thought it would be a good idea to throttle the amount of data being able to download at once thus making the patching process abysmaly long for no good reason) and you have to PAY for the PRIVILIGE of basic multyplayer functionality...

Seriously.. if it werent for console titles like monster hunter or my beloved gundam games i cant get anywhere else i myselfe would have done away with any console a long time ago... (then again the last console i bought was my 2DS... used for about 40 euros a year ago)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
As someone has been a 'Sony First' console player since the PS1...
-I own around 700 (over?) games for the PS1/2/3/P/V combine.

The more shit Sony pulls on the PS4...the more I want a Xbone first.
:|

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Karadalis said:

Why is anyone bothering with consoles anymore nowadays? They are essentially weaker PCs with limited functionality. You cant even put in the disc and emidiantly play anymore most of the times because you have to first install the game (wich takes for friggin ever even compared to PCs) then download the unavoidable DAY 1 Patch wich will also take forever (like with mafia 3 on wich sony thought it would be a good idea to throttle the amount of data being able to download at once thus making the patching process abysmaly long for no good reason) and you have to PAY for the PRIVILIGE of basic multyplayer functionality...

Seriously.. if it werent for console titles like monster hunter or my beloved gundam games i cant get anywhere else i myselfe would have done away with any console a long time ago... (then again the last console i bought was my 2DS... used for about 40 euros a year ago)
Cause they don't want to deal with the PC gaming crowd. That and upkeep and maintenance are extremely hard. My computer could run Deus Ex Human Revolution yet couldn't run Amnesia or Vampire Masquerade. Found out why they weren't working but not without a huge headache for both games. I had to deal with a lot of people going "I can't believe you don't know how to start up these games". Then when my computer broke the only guy who knew how to wanted $200 just for a diagnostic.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Hm, I wonder if they'll ever nudge up the limit on XB1 Fallout 4 if Skyrim's going to get 5Gb.

Not quite sure what I might do with 5Gb's worth of mods, given that'd likely entail some heftier overhauls and additions, and with no real mod organiser to help out conflicts are easier to trigger due to the arcane art of load orders.

Karadalis said:

The fact that so many PC players seem incapable of understanding why someone might prefer a console experience is utterly bizarre to me in this day and age. Maybe some people prefer the experience? Could be just that simple...

From the speed and simplicity of launching a game on a system [effectively] dedicated to one thing, to the lack of office equipment as a primary interface (keys'n'mouse, though I do have a small keyboard plugged in so I never have to use those awful virtual keyboards again), to the total lack of responsibility I have for anything and everything that may go wrong (the whole DIY aspect many PC gamers gush over isn't actually an objective benefit, it can be a huge subjective negative).

I feel the 'PC-ification' of consoles has brought transformative positives, be it the way the system and UI can evolve, fixes/updates for games, iterative developmental/release cycles such as Elite Dangerous being possible on console for the first time, and now even impressive support for mods on Bethesda games. Well, on XB1, at least.

More and more it seems like a lot of grousing about 'consoles' may actually be grousing at Sony and the PS4; Jim Sterling recently painted an experiential picture I couldn't recognise, re long DL times (and no, I don't have a lightning fast connection), lack of progress bars (he claimed they're not on 'console', yet they are on XB1), and suchlike.

...speaking of which:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Either way, it is a shame console players are getting such a poor version of Skyrim modding.
You mean PS4 owners - they're the only group seemingly getting completely screwed by Sony in all this. Modding on Xbox's obviously more restricted compared to PC, but the range of mods on Fallout 4's been incredible - well above anything I thought modders could pull off in terms of complexity and features when first announced.

As for Skyrim, though; it remains to be seen how well it'll be supported on XB1 with mods given its age. Similarly, how enthused will players - particularly casual players - be in returning to the game at all, especially if they're not invested in keeping up with mod support? I will certainly buy nu-Skyrim just for the addition of mods (I played vanilla on 360 more than enough to never want to play it again), but I don't see me exactly spending too much time in that world again.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
It amazes me how console gamers still don't get it. They make up all these stupid excuses to defend consoles, yet still can't admit that each generation, consoles are becoming more like PC, but weaker and without the benefits. What made consoles unique are disappearing. No, paying for multiplayer isn't a god damn benefit. Also, it isn't that hard to learn about PC. How about stop being lazy and do a little research? Your excuses are so pathetic.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
008Zulu said:
Sony moved their corporate headquarters to The Nile. No, wait. I screwed that joke up.
Now I'm curious about how this joke is supposed to be told. Not a native speaker, therefore not having much experience with such things.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Damian Porter said:
It amazes me how console gamers still don't get it. They make up all these stupid excuses to defend consoles, yet still can't admit that each generation, consoles are becoming more like PC, but weaker and without the benefits. What made consoles unique are disappearing. No, paying for multiplayer isn't a god damn benefit. Also, it isn't that hard to learn about PC. How about stop being lazy and do a little research? Your excuses are so pathetic.
Karadalis said:

I can only speak personally but I prefer consoles because I am a collector of physical game media. I focus on collecting RPGs including JRPGs. The selection of modern JRPGs is pathetic on PC so it really isn't an option. It would be foolish to ignore the fact that there are different game libraries on different systems. Not to mention physical collectors items for the PC do not retain the value of physical media on consoles. I don't like owning things digitally so moving to PC gaming would be a profoundly stupid choice. You need to face that there are still a few ways PC gaming is inferior to consoles for some people.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Now I'm even more glad I play on PCs and I don't have to deal with Sony's idiocy and small mindedness.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Naldan said:
008Zulu said:
Now I'm curious about how this joke is supposed to be told. Not a native speaker, therefore not having much experience with such things.
I think it was supposed to be "Sony must have moved to Egypt because they are in The Nile".

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Naldan said:
008Zulu said:
The joke being there's a river in Africa called The Nile. The old saying being 'Denial (the nile) is a river in Africa'. The joke was; Sony is in a state of denial.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
008Zulu said:
The joke being there's a river in Africa called The Nile. The old saying being 'Denial (the nile) is a river in Africa'. The joke was; Sony is in a state of denial.
Oh man. Sorry for not getting something that obvious. Thanks for explaining...