Skyrim... what do people see in it that I don't?

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
trillykins said:
And, no, no, it's not bad. Not saying that But everyone, EVERYONE, seems to regard this game as being the best game of all time, or the year even,
Sorry i just felt the need to call this out, is best game of all time less important then GOTY?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
TheKasp said:
BiH-Kira said:
I understand you man.
It's a good game, but it's not as good as most people said.

And you know what's the biggest problem (for me)? After playing Skyward Sword and those beautiful colors, Skyrim is ugly as shit. Skyrim has WAAAAAAAAAY better graphics than Skyward Sword (Captain Obvious), jet they don't use it even a bit. I don't know how to explain it, but everything looks so weird, colorless. Grey, brown and white. Monotone.
I disagree. There are plenty of places in Skyrim with a broad variety of colors. They are only not everywhere, so finding one of those places is special and adds more to the mystery of this world.

One of those places. I still can't forget how I felt when the Dwemer ruin turned out to be this giant underground city...
Yeah, the way the world of Skyrim is so grounded in reality it gives the bizzare moments more kick. I prefer this style to Morrowind where there was weird stuff everywhere.

I suppose I can understand why someone wouldn't like Skyrim if they simply don't like the world, the world and exploring it is the best part of any Bethesda game and if your not interest I don't think the other parts of their games make up for it (usually weak storylines, decentish combat, a general unpolish). It's why I hated Oblivion, the world was so fucking dull I had no reason to keep going.

Where as with Skyrim I think this game has fantastic asthetic and mystery. The viking inspiration makes everything look a hell of lot better than Cyridil with it's dull uninspired medival stuff. And I'm just excited to explore dungeons and new regions cause they all have their own look or story. It could do with more variation that cave/dwarven/castle/tomb but I still find myself fasinated anyway.

Yes it's brown and grey but I don't think tha's a bad thing if it works, and it does. They're trying to portray a harsh, wintery fantasy landscape, you need a duller pallet to do that effectively, but they don't scimp on the colour either. I love those northern lights.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Level 31 Mage, Raised sneak enough to gain the 15xdamage with dagger, courched behind giant, killed it in one hit with a steel dagger where before it took multiple fireballs.

Some of the skills in the game break it so hard it isn't even funny. Sneak is so OP they might as well just give you an insta-kill button to save yourself the trouble of having to carve a silent swath through dungeons.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
I wish I knew that answer, because then maybe I would find a reason to be interested in this game. But for some reason I have NO interest at all.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Smeggs said:
Some of the skills in the game break it so hard it isn't even funny. Sneak is so OP they might as well just give you an insta-kill button to save yourself the trouble of having to carve a silent swath through dungeons.
` (to open console)
click on your target.
type 'kill'
press return.

The fact that an insta kill button exists doesn't mean you need to use it.

Sneak only 'breaks the game' if you combo it with high level illusion magic, enchanted gear or other bonuses, otherwise walking up behind someone with a dagger in a confined space (as opposed to outside where giants wander around) will either require some patience or will have a chance to fail.

Also, in Morrowind you could stack alchemy potions to get 1,000,000 strength and punch Dagoth Ur through the wall so hard that it crashed the game. Credit where it's due.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
What I like about is that I can do what I want. Which is steal everything. Exception to the bricks that make the house, the doors themselves, and stuff like that. But nothing is better than seeing an entire village naked with nothing in any of their homes and having ALL of it piled into my house, their neighbor, and only one walking around town with leet gear.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
LordRoyal said:
purifico said:
2. Brown (because the world is always and only brown, right?)
Lets play spot the shade of brown

Hell Morrowind did have a lot of brown but it varied it a little every so often

Oh hi! Would you like to come to my Bethesdacon? We'll have cookies =)

And have a nice day:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDoYDOOM9OtjkArk6JzbkF?p=skyrim+screenshot&fr=yfp-t-701&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search

MetaMuffin

Feb 2, 2011
This was how i felt about Oblivion at first. Seemed very mundane with the only objectives being kill everything, find loot, and grind. I played halfway through the main quest and put it down for a year. Then one day I was bored and put it back in my Xbox. I rolled a thief/marksman Woodelf and stumbled upon the Dark Brotherhood. I had a blast, for me, the unique assassination missions made the game. By the end of the Dark Brotherhood I was extremely strong and just breezed through the main quest, still enjoying myself. I feel like Bethesda games are all about finding which play style is fun for you; what gets you involved and interacting? Skyrim has an absolutely beautiful map to get lost in...that's been the main appeal for me. Seriously, there's a ton of variety in the terrain and it's pretty damn detailed. Ive played through the thieves guild and dabbled in some of main quest and civil war quests. The only thing that's starting to wain on me is the difficulty suddenly flip-flopped. I was having an enormous amount of trouble trying to kill dragons and other higher level monsters...I rolled a stealth based class and without my ambush attacks I was pretty weak. Well, upon finishing the thieves guild quests I was suddenly thrown amazing armor, weapons, and skills. Now I roflstomp everything, and since the enemies don't level with me Skyrim just got a little too easy. I might try out some other characters if the game gets a little too dull...even though I love my Khajit in his Nightgale Armor :(

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
purifico said:
Oh hi! Would you like to come to my Bethesdacon? We'll have cookies =)

And have a nice day:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDoYDOOM9OtjkArk6JzbkF?p=skyrim+screenshot&fr=yfp-t-701&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search
Yeah with a lot of these images I'm seeing a predominant color. Which is white. Or Blue

http://theelderscrollsskyrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/skyrim_screenshot_41.jpg

The only brown I can see at all is on characters or the lighting is brown, because it's you know supposed to be fire/candlelight. That could barely even be considered brown and more orange then anything else.

Your brown is real argument doesn't stand with Oblivion, at all. I posted the above screenshot and I could just post your quote real quick

purifico said:
2. Brown (because the world is always and only brown, right?).
With the above image I could count the amount of pixles that are brown with my hand, and the ones that are white or grey would be that number multiplied by 500. Same with Oblivion times 1000

Skyrim isn't Gears of War or Modern Warfare 3. It's a fantasy world. I'd agree it's a lot more Grey then Oblivion but not brown. The grey is there to make the snow pop out more.

Hell even with this image there isn't just brown on the ground

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/06/Skyrim-screenshots-E3-2011-01.jpg

There's a lot of greenery among the browns to make it seem more like foliage, and this is in one of the few sections of the world map that isn't entirely covered with snow. The rest of the map looking more like this.

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/06/Skyrim-screenshots-E3-2011-05.jpg

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
The dragons were hyped to death but in the end they turned out to be pretty boring. They could have done so much more with the encounters but as it stands the fights are way to formulaic.

The dungeons are so fucking bland. Seriously, you visit a shitload of Dwemer ruins and they have almost ZERO lore in them. At the very least Bethesda could have sprinkled in some hints about their disappearance and such but all we got was rolling balls, goblins and endless golden corridors

The puzzles were also annoying. I understand what they tried to do with them but when you encounter the same puzzle with minor variations in literally every dungeon you come across they become a drag. The ONE dungeon I enjoyed was the Labyrinthum one but even that failed to account for the Mage's Guild plot. We could have learned so much more about the Psijic order and that big ball that threatened to destroy the world but I guess I should be thankful Bethesda included any semblance of lore at all.

I think the problem with the game is that the developers tried to make it a lot like Oblivion whilst working under the idea that it was the "spiritual successor" to Fallout 3. What they ended up making is a game that doesn't stray far enough from the formula to be considered anything but mediocre.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I've played one character, since midnight launch, at least 10 hours a day. Sometimes more.

I've completed 3 main story missions, a few of the Companion quests, and the rest is just good, solid, adventuring.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This game is a toolbox. A DM's adventure for one. If you can role-play, and enjoy it, then you'll enjoy Skyrim. If you've been ruined by linear or MMO rpg's, you will not enjoy it. If you plow through the main quest, you will be dissapointed (and cheating yourself).

Here's a test.

When overhearing a conversation that will surely start a quest, do you

A. Listen intently, weighing your characters intent to get involved or not, then do the quest, reading all material that comes with it, paying attention to all the small details about the story of said quest in a dungeon, then feel pride when you've put the story to rest, returning for a reward for a job well done.

B. Initiate dialogue before the quest giver finishes expositing, then mash A repeatedly until you get the quest marker, then plow to it, killing everything, reading or observing nothing subtle such as telling the story through dungeon design, only to finally return, disappointed that you didn't get enough loot or that this small, personal story didn't affect your world or main story drastically.

If you answered A, cool. Skyrim's for you. If you answered B, then you should probably just stick to Gears of War or Uncharted or another action game that's over in 8 hours and shoves everything you need to know to do it in your face.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Tin Man said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I guess some people want their hand held through an entire game/tunnel/movie.
No, some people want to be presented with an experience, story and enjoyable, memorable characters that have been carefully crafted to create a deliberate experience. Most games don't just let you do whatever you please, does that mean most games are crap? No, because freedom =/= good. A friend of mine completed Skyrims main quest in just under 20 hours. That is the game. Everything else is filler. Doesn't sound like the best game ever to me.

I guess some people just want to catch butterflies and pick weeds.
Actually you are completely wrong there are loads of storyline quests apart from the main one.

Anyone who has actually played the game (unlike you obviously) will back me up on this. I'm not going to describe any because of spoilers but last night I completed a fully voice acted quest line separate from the main quest or guild quests, that was awesome. It also involved a moral choice... Sorry but you have absolutely no idea about the game you are criticising.

Even some of the random books you find lying around have better stories in them than most games nowadays...

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
Aaaah, the question now asked about Skyrim that I normally ask myself about other franchises like Halo and Mass Effect, there is no right answer, it's aaaaaall just a matter of taste.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
evilthecat said:
Smeggs said:
` (to open console)
click on your target.
type 'kill'
press return.

The fact that an insta kill button exists doesn't mean you need to use it.

Sneak only 'breaks the game' if you combo it with high level illusion magic, enchanted gear or other bonuses, otherwise walking up behind someone with a dagger in a confined space (as opposed to outside where giants wander around) will either require some patience or will have a chance to fail.

Also, in Morrowind you could stack alchemy potions to get 1,000,000 strength and punch Dagoth Ur through the wall so hard that it crashed the game. Credit where it's due.
I'm a Mage who works in Destruction and Conjuration.

I should not be able, nor should it even be possible, to kill a giant by stabbing him in the ankle with a steele dagger.

God forbid I become prolific in Archery as well, I'd never have to use any other skills again.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Tin Man said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Actually you are completely wrong there are loads of storyline quests apart from the main one.

Anyone who has actually played the game (unlike you obviously) will back me up on this. I'm not going to describe any because of spoilers but last night I completed a fully voice acted quest line separate from the main quest or guild quests, that was awesome. It also involved a moral choice... Sorry but you have absolutely no idea about the game you are criticising.

Even some of the random books you find lying around have better stories in them than most games nowadays...
A side quest with a story isn't the same thing as a main quest, or even something tangentially linked to it (which is something halfway decent RPG's have been doing masterfully for decades, so that doesn't impress me in the slightest just because it's in Skyrim).

I'm sure they're all good fun, but if they don't have anything that directly advances the games plot(which would make it a part of the main quest), then it is tantamount to a side quest. And I can wait to play a game made primarily of largely unimportant side quests. It's a fantasy sandbox, nothing more. I'm sure it's a good one, but every sandbox game ever has demanded that the player makes the experience interesting for themselves, and if that's your thing, great, but(and this was the point that made me take umbrage with your arrogant original statement), there is nothing wrong with wanting an experience crafted and written for you. Pretty much every other game ever does that, and they aren't any worse for it.

Bolded : Bollocks. But you know what, the fact that you're READING in Skyrim instead of playing it says lots.

Also, I've borrowed it and played it, and it's Fantasy Fallout. Good game, and I'll get it next year with the DLC, but it's nothing revolutionary. Even it's basic concept is trite... Come on, fucking DRAGONS!? Really?
There has been no other game where Dragons have been done better tbh. Even in Dragon Age you fight them on the ground.

Side quests ARE part of the game. Do you go through every game with blinkers on and just focus on the main quest? Missing out on 80% of the game? Isn't that a complete waste of money? There are games which are linear and well done. Portal 2 for example, but you know what I can enjoy them aswell as games like Skyrim.

I read the books in Skyrim because they are extremely well written stories and lore.
Feyfolken, The Wolf Queen etc. It's part of the game and the immersion. I like reading, sorry if it isn't 'cool' enough for you.

Edit: Also in your earlier post you made out like there was nothing in the game but the main quest line and collecting butterflies and plants. Which, as I pointed out, is incorrect.