Skyrim - What would you change/add?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
1) The ability to throw weapons, imagine seeing a bandit flee and then just throwing an axe into his back or, if you had the stamina, a fucking warhammer.
I want throwing weapons also.

I find it funny you mention throwing weapons though, because some were in Morrowind, and they, along with Crossbows and spears, the other two most requested weapons, were often considered the most USELESS weapons in the game.

*note* this next part isn't directed at you
I find it funny that people spent so much time bitching about how useless the Crossbow, Spears, and throwing weapons, were in Morrowind, and how they would rather prefer Bethesda remove them to make the other weapons more detailed/specialized... and yet... when Bethesda did just that.... people created MASSIVE shitstorm over Bethesda "dumbing down' the game.

-People hated crossbows/spears/throwing weapons
-People hated Bethesda removed something they hated

The contradiction in the consumer's desires boggles my mind.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
I find it funny that people spent so much time bitching about how useless the Crossbow, Spears, and throwing weapons, were in Morrowind, and how they would rather prefer Bethesda remove them to make the other weapons more detailed/specalized... and yet... when Bethesda did just that.... people created MASSIVE shitstorm over Bethesda "dumbing down' the game.
It seems to me that Bethesda did the first part, removing some of the weapon types, without delivering on the second part, making the remaining weapons more detailed and specialized. The melee weapons in Oblivion and Skyrim are all essentially the same stick with varying power:speed ratios attached.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Boudica said:
hazabaza1 said:
Man, this Fanbody slap-fight is fun. Grab the popcorn, guys.

OT: Just make everything a bit more polished I guess. Add in a dodge mechanic too, make combat more reflex based, similar to Dark Souls.
I dunno, most of the stuff I would want fixed can be done with mods I guess.
It's like a pissing contest if the piss was how hardcore you are and the distance was the size of your... devotion to the game...
I'm using that metaphor from now on.
"Fanboy battles are like two guys pissing."
Yeah, sounds good.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Better and more guild missions, I don't want to be the best of the best in 3-4 missions. I want missions that are long and send me across the world.

Kielgasten said:
Co-op multiplayer please. This is all.
And this would be badass as fuck, I don't even care if the NPCs pretend there is only one of us.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
People in Skyrim are poor, they CANT act on their desires, most of them make mention of this.
AKA it would be too much work for Bethesda.

Obsidian may make buggy games, but their buggy games have more depth than Bethesda's buggy games.

Bethesda's games always have great ideas, just never too well-realized. They're still fun, though. Obsidian have less of this and more of putting in the stuff that works.

Also, the first time Bethesda do something new in their games, it generally sucks. Take the dynamic combat in Oblivion, it sucked. Skyrim was a step in the right direction, but still not perfect.

For example, the new things are crafting and marriage. They are both too simply done, but are good ideas. And of course, as a part of Bethesda's tradition, they'll be improved in the next game. And they still probably won't be perfect, but they'd be better.

OT: As I said before, I'd like more roleplaying options. The sitting function and the grab function help add some interactivity to a generally uninteractive world. Though the grab function was done better in Oblivion and Fallout as you could grab the item around the edges. In Skyrim, it centers on the item and you can't really rotate it the way you want to. Would like that fixed.

Also would like an expansion of the marriage option. It seems like a decent idea, but there's pretty much almost nothing that indicates it's a marriage and not just yet another companion thing that gives you gold every day.

Also, the combat should be more brutal and not just 'whack until it's dead' while drip-feeding on healing potions.

There's more, but the problems are minor, although there's plenty of them. These are pretty much the only major things that bother me. For now, anyway.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
For Skyrim specifically, I would like to see spears be functionally added. With Mods you can get skins, but I want spears to be a spear, IE a piercing weapon with proper spear attack moves vs homogenized 2h attack moves.

I would also like to see magic expanded upon. Spell Combo's, large progression available to users who want to be a "wizard" so they can truly be a glass cannon type character. With more depth to magic, as well as spells scaling correctly in power there would be a lot more variety in general.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd like to actually be able to play instruments. I'm not demanding a whole "Guitar Hero"-style mini-game, or anything, but... Well, actually, on second thought, that would be kind of cool.

Once I realize charred skeever hide is a valuable potion component, I ought to be able to stick one of the little rat-bastards over a fire myself.

I'd like to be able to put down quest items if I choose not to do quests, perhaps with a "This is a quest item! Are you sure you want to put it down?" prompt. It's stupid to have to carry around multiple unusual gems just because you don't want to become a member of the Thieves' Guild.

It would be nice to be able to disenchant magical items without destroying the underlying item- I'd happily buy a perk if it allowed me to do just that.

Similarly, how about allowing you to break down weapons and armor into ingots? Even if you didn't get back the full "price" in components, it's kind of ridiculous how hard it can be to find enough raw materials to make items that have otherwise become pretty common.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
As someone who's not a big fan of his copy of skyrim (partly because the one I had previously was stolen and the last time I remember having it was Thanksgiving, of all days...) I would say to change the beginning of the game - that village that gets attacked by the dragon - so that it gets more exciting more quickly and I can spend my first session of whatever character I've decided to play doing something OTHER than finishing the tutorial.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
GameMaNiAC said:
Also would like an expansion of the marriage option. It seems like a decent idea, but there's pretty much almost nothing that indicates it's a marriage and not just yet another companion thing that gives you gold every day.
Personally, I think this is a side effect of how bland the NPCs are in general. It's fine enough that they're bland if you just pass by them and ignore them easily, but once you make one of them important, and they're still bland...it's more noticeable.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
One word: consequences.
Pretty much this.
Bethesda, consequences make the game world feel alive, not radiant AI or voiceacting.
But that would require actuall effort, so it's probably too much to ask.

Also, removing the remaining RPG elements and concentrating on making the gameplay better.
This way the game is too shallow to appeal to the RPG crowd and too boring to appeal to the action crowd. The game tries to please everyone, then ends up pleasing no-one.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I didn't come across any invisible walls that I can recall, besides the standard borders of existance. Nothing like NV, which had them atop any minor slope and atoll.

Mining. The mining kills me. I know why it's in WoW and MMOs, they thrive on wasting your time. Time = money. But in a single player game with no subscription? Why do I have to sit through this 10 second animation every time I want some ore? Ore that I could much more easily purchase at a weapons store, smith into something, and sell back to them?
I don't want to remove it from the game, it'd be dumb to only be able to buy ore. But something needs to be done about the wait. Make a mini-Bejeweled minigame or something. Flowers are easy, heck I'll be hightailing it at 5% health from arch necromancers and sabrecats but I'll still snag mountain flowers and lilacs as I flee.

Politics: It would be nice if, at least in the integrated circles you join, your rise to power was more relevant. You become arch-mage and all that changes is some static dialogue swaps on the npcs wandering the college. You become the Guild Master of the thieves guild and no one bats an eyelid. Sean Connery won't even talk to you after you do it.

Marriage: It is a little disappointing that all your fantasy wife does is sit around the house and cook (why hasn't this breezed across the feminist conciousness?!) but at the same time it's more than any of their other games offered. It's arguably more than Dragon Age offers because of the sheer number of choices. I'm a fan of the tacked on Bishoujo game dynamic, but I'm not terribly upset that the concept is still in its infancy for major releases. People seem to like it, Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls 6 will probably have more to do.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Prettier clothes and longer, nicer looking hair

If I'm going to be murdering dragons I'd like to look nice while I do it

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I often wonder what would happen if you had the option to make your local world semi-persistent. Example: You start a single player game and you play the game and join the mages guild let's say. you go all the way through those events, but you decide (as I have) to roll a different character to do the main quest. make some of the changes to the world that would reflect my other character's actions. You'd have to change how the game worked a bit, and limit it perhaps to 3 characters affecting the same world, but think subtle changes could be possible.

It doesn't have to be like everything in it's place is exactly how your character left it. If one character goes through the thieves guild quests, the other characters could still join that guild, but the main quest would not be available to them and things like the Honeybrew Meadery would now be Black Briar Meadery, etc and people would talk about how the events that caused it, making slight references to a khajiit this or that. If another character on the main quest has gone through the first quest in white run, that quest line would be locked to that character, but dragons would be loose in the world. The NPCs could make reference to the dovakiin walking around, etc.

Just some basic reference style changes to the world not the exact conditions of every dungeon or anything overly complicated.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I would fix the leveling system so that leveling up is tied to kills and finishing quests, like a normal RPG. Leveling up by using your skills may seem more natural, but it also means your character's development will fall dead in its tracks the moment your main skill set has reached 100. And using other skills I don't like or that don't fit my character simply for the sake of leveling up sucks.

The other change would be making the gameworld feel more alive. I can't really put my finger on it, but the land of Skyrim felt rather lifeless as opposed to games like Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

The quests were also dull as fuck; Go there, kill/find that, or don't. Those were the only options open to you throughout the game.
This so much. I like how the leveling works in Fallout, gain experience from killing enemies, finishing quests, and random things like unlocking doors and hacking computers. But the mechanics for TES work nice as well, for it would make sense that If you work at picking locks, you would get better at it. I wish they would combine these two systems somehow.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Sande45 said:
Combat. Especially melee.

As long as the core mechanic of the game is complete bullshit, nothing else really matters.

What does combat need? Player skill. Currently it's pretty much like Runescape where the combatants keep slashing each other until the one with worse skills/equipment dies. The game needs dodging (that one slow motion shield perk was a step in the right direction), proper parrying and shields that actually do shit. I wouldn't mind if they ripped the whole (melee and armor) system from Dark Souls.

When they're done with that, they could fix the boring and grindy crafting skills and the potion system. After all it turned out infinite-ish amount of healing potions that can be used instantly doesn't really work. Shocker, I know.
This.

The "stand there and hack away" makes for terrible combat. Rolling/Dodging/Parrying need to be included.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I'd definitely love some kind of expansion for the whole "Marriage" thing, I mean aside from another place to sell loot and a cute Argonian girl living in my house there's not much to it. A few more perks would be very appealing.

I'd separate Axes, Hammers and Swords into their own categories again and give each their separate one handed and two handed perk tree. I'd also add back in Short Swords, no idea why but the absence of a middle between daggers and full swords bothers me.

I'd love to some kind of polearm in the game, I mean the older games have them where the hell did they all go?

I'd also have the lower body armor and the upper body armor seperate like it was in Oblivion. This shocked the hell out of me cause I actually criticized people for complaining about it, but the fact that they have the torso armor/clothing always attached to the leg armor/ clothing actually does bother me a little.

And who wouldn't want an opportunity to become Jarl/King? I busted my ass saving this realm, I at least deserve a minor holding like Falkreath or something.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I would have added skill barriers into the guild quests. There is no reason for an unskilled mage to become Headmaster and no reason for an unskilled thief to ascend to Guild Master. It doesn't make sense.

I'd also add some Spellcrafting back into the game. I loved Spellcrafting in Oblivion. It made me feel like a magic scholar truly mastering my craft.