Skyrim's Falskaar Mod Took 2000 Hours to Make

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Skyrim's Falskaar Mod Took 2000 Hours to Make

Falskaar became Alexander Velicky's "day job" for a year while it was in development.

What does it take to make an expansive mod that adds more than twenty hours of new content to an already massive game? A teenager with a year to spare and (presumably) a lot of caffeine. At least that's what it took Alexander J. Velicky, the man behind the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125961-Skyrim-Mod-Falskaar-Adds-20-Hours-of-Gameplay>Falskaar mod which recently impressed gamers with its substantial additions to Bethesda's much-lauded Skyrim. While the project would involve more than one hundred separate contributors, Velicky was behind everything, piecing together the accumulating parts into an undeniably impressive whole. According to Velicky the process, altogether, took nearly two thousand hours and was an undertaking that wouldn't have been possible without family support.

"[My dad] was incredibly supportive and allowed me to live here, paying for living expenses and charging no rent," Velicky says. "I was able to not go to school and not have a day job. Meaning, more or less, that Falskaar was my day job." He is also grateful for the help of the project's various contributor's. "I'm still kind of shocked at some of the talent I got on the project... and every single one of them surpassed my expectations by leaps and bounds." While Falskaar is free to download, Velicky admits that his goals in making the mod were far from altruistic. "The best way to show Bethesda Game Studios that I want a job there and should be hired is to create content that meets the standards of their incredible development team." Here's hoping that Bethesda finds him a spot. He's arguably earned it.

Source: PCGamer

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
That is a serious amount of work and dedication. I hope Bethesda has an opening for this guy.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Gah. I pulled it down from Nexus when the first article was posted and forgotten to install.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
Don't have Skyrim on the PC, so I haven't played the mod, but from the videos I watched it looks fantastic. I wish I had the dedication to do something like that. Hope this guy's dream does come true.

Kaeniar

Feb 26, 2013
While 2000 hours may seem like a huge number, it certainly isn't for a mod of that size. All the bigger mods like SkyRe or Requiem already are far beyond the 2000 hour mark, so in comparison it isn't that big of a deal.
Also, the author was able to fully concentrate on his mod because his dad had enough money, so he didn't have to go to work or school.

Not trying to sound like a party pooper. 2000 hours still is a huge amount of time. And for that he's got my respect.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Wait, Alexander J. Velicky? He's the one who made DEIMOS for Fallout: New Vegas, I think. Since that mod was incredible, I'll probably end up grabbing Falskaar at some point, too.

Phrostbit3n

Jul 6, 2013
If Bethesda doesn't give him a job, you can bet your ass someone else will. You've got competition Bethesda, and the best pool of workers for content development are the ones who do it now for no pay.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I know
bak00777 said:
Don't have Skyrim on the PC, so I haven't played the mod, but from the videos I watched it looks fantastic. I wish I had the dedication to do something like that. Hope this guy's dream does come true.
ditto

And if Bethesda does recognize this mod and brings Mr. Velicky into their team, even though they said they're done with Skyrim, I hope they'll at least put in a console version of this mod.

Or at very VERY least, tell us where the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout will take place.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Well 2000 hour, fully voiced user-created content is an instant-download for me. Hopefully Bethesda pulls a Valve and hires this guy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
2000 hours, working 10 hours a day (he probably did more) is still only 200 days. less than a 1 year game developement cycle and he pulled it alone. The title should be Falskaar took ONLY 2000 hours to make.