Slay a Dragon For Ron Paul!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Slay a Dragon For Ron Paul!


If your videogaming habit is keeping you from engaging in the political process, here's your chance to get two birds stoned at once: slay a dragon for Ron Paul!

The original plan for the web-based dungeon spelunking game Dungeoneers called for it to be kept out of the public eye a little while longer, but something funny happened on the way to the open beta test: the U.S. election, and more specifically the Ron Paul campaign for the Republican nomination. Alex Beltramo, the "Chief Dungeoneer," is a Ron Paul supporter and he saw in the game a chance to maybe make a difference for his man.

"Presidential candidate Ron Paul has a good chance to win the Republican nomination for President. And because he does not have big corporate backers, his supporters must find creative ways to promote him," Beltramo wrote [http://www.dungeoneers.com/ronpaul]. "With the 'Slay a Dragon for Ron Paul' campaign, I can support both my game and Dr. Paul. When a player kills a dragon for the first time, if they agree, I will personally contribute $5 to the grassroots Super Brochure campaign for Ron Paul. My goal is that we find 5,000 Ron Paul dragon slayers so that I can contribute $25,000."

The program is actually working out pretty well; at last check, 1640 dragons had been killed, adding up to an $8200 donation that's still growing. Not necessarily because a lot of gamers are die-hard libertarians [I'm more of a social democrat with center-right fiscal tendencies myself] but because Dungeoneers isn't a bad game. It's not Neverwinter Nights 3 by any stretch but it does have a whiff of Heroes of Neverwinter [http://www.facebook.com/HeroesOfNeverwinter] about it and for a free game [for now] that's still in testing, it's easy on the eyes and very playable.

"We're attracting players who would not normally try out a game like this," Beltramo said. "They come to raise the $5 for Ron Paul, but stay because they enjoy playing Dungeoneers. Likewise, my hope is that gamers who are not normally interested in politics will be encouraged to learn for themselves about Ron Paul."

Do it for Ron Paul, do it for the democratic process or just do it for kicks; whatever your motivation, if you've got an urge to off a dragon, you can show him who's boss at dungeoneers.com [http://www.dungeoneers.com].

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/12/16/slay-dragon-ron-paul]


Permalink
 

Rednog

New member
Nov 3, 2008
3,567
0
0
I did it, but it took me a good 30 minutes, the randomness of loot/monster spawn is a bit frustrating. And I don't get games that say you have like a 90% chance to do something and yet you fail like 3 times in a row, and it happens consistently. I'd walk into a room ok 90% chance to sneak here, you've been spotted!
The dragon is silly OP, I ended up by sheer luck getting an exceptional sword and shield before going to his area. And in his area he had three +2 life potions, and 4 haste scrolls adding to my previously found 4 and I still managed to only kill him with a single life left.

Edit: The game gets significantly easier when you realize that by clicking on yourself you can "parry".
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
12,178
1,390
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
Somehow I think slaying newt gingrich would be more popular.
 

RA92

New member
Jan 1, 2011
3,079
0
0
Have you seen the Ron Paul campaign ad? It's bonkers.

<youtube=ZA7Uw60bnBc>
 

Blind Sight

New member
May 16, 2010
1,658
0
0
DVS BSTrD said:
I would, but Dragon slaying isn't covered in the Constitution, so I cannot in good conscience support this program.
Ah, yes, but the Constitution says nothing about the government slaying dragons, and thus the responsibility to slay dragons falls to the individual haha.

Interesting way to raise funding for Ron Paul, I know he's having another Money Bomb in a couple days, last time he raised an insane amount of money from personal donations.
 

Comando96

New member
May 26, 2009
637
0
0
-Dragmire- said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Have you seen the Ron Paul campaign ad? It's bonkers.

<youtube=ZA7Uw60bnBc>
Holy crap! That was like Spike TV advertising the WWE!
errr... you haven't seen this one then :/


Its not by the official campaign people but... it gave me shivers :s

Blind Sight said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I would, but Dragon slaying isn't covered in the Constitution, so I cannot in good conscience support this program.
Ah, yes, but the Constitution says nothing about the government slaying dragons, and thus the responsibility to slay dragons falls to the individual haha.
You beat me to it xD

However, equally this means it is delegated to state law. Still I know of no state which has a law forbidding or limiting dragon slaying. It is therefore the choice of an individual to slay (lets be realistic, shoot) a dragon if one appears.

------------------------------------

What do I think of this?

Well... so long as people educate themselves... it can only be for the good can't it... less ignorance is good for all.
 

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
2,634
0
0
I like how they assume that we're here for Ron Paul....

I think it would very much shame the 20 mobs (double summoners gah) that I just consecutively murdered if they thought that I was doing this in his name.
 

ResonanceGames

New member
Feb 25, 2011
732
0
0
Yes, I'd love to put a guy into office who's agenda includes abolishing the Department of Education, the EPA, the Federal Reserve, cancelling all foreign aid, and going back to "sound money."

And since we're on the internet, which has apparently just become a ridiculous Ron Paul echo-chamber, I should point out that I'm being sarcastic.

I like the guy, and his style. But his policies are just the worst kind of ridiculous.
 

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
2,672
0
0
If he has enough money to actually donate about $8,000+ dollars to Ron Paul, why not just donate all the money you can reasonably give?
 

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
3,997
0
0
You know, I might give this game a try. Which I think was his plan all along.

Killing a dragon is a fun way to raise money.
 

Blind Sight

New member
May 16, 2010
1,658
0
0
Comando96 said:
Blind Sight said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I would, but Dragon slaying isn't covered in the Constitution, so I cannot in good conscience support this program.
Ah, yes, but the Constitution says nothing about the government slaying dragons, and thus the responsibility to slay dragons falls to the individual haha.
You beat me to it xD

However, equally this means it is delegated to state law. Still I know of no state which has a law forbidding or limiting dragon slaying. It is therefore the choice of an individual to slay (lets be realistic, shoot) a dragon if one appears.
Give it a couple years, soon they'll put dragons on the endangered species list and the government will take away my God-given right to kill a dragon, absorb his soul and bind it to my words of power.
 

Comando96

New member
May 26, 2009
637
0
0
Blind Sight said:
Give it a couple years, soon they'll put dragons on the endangered species list and the government will take away my God-given right to kill a dragon, absorb his soul and bind it to my words of power.
Don't be too short sighted here. They will need to keep a stable population running here so everyone can have the chance to absorb their souls. If they go extinct then there are no more souls to absorb.
 

Blind Sight

New member
May 16, 2010
1,658
0
0
Comando96 said:
Blind Sight said:
Give it a couple years, soon they'll put dragons on the endangered species list and the government will take away my God-given right to kill a dragon, absorb his soul and bind it to my words of power.
Don't be too short sighted here. They will need to keep a stable population running here so everyone can have the chance to absorb their souls. If they go extinct then there are no more souls to absorb.
Tell that to the four hundred and twenty seven people killed yearly by dragons (no children though, surprisingly). Although I will admit it was a good idea to give giants equal rights and lands in Montana to herd their mammoths, dragons have been slipping over the border with Mexico for decades, taking our jobs and mouching off the welfare system. My tax dollars should not go to brimstone and arrow removal. I say we kill most of 'em and put a few in cages to breed like pandas.
 

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
758
0
0
Sorry, but this pushes me away from the game for the same reason it would if it had endorsed Pat Buchanan. I cannot think of Ron Paul without being reminded that, over and over again, he has attempted to cast the 9/11 attacks as "America had it coming".

Even if I were a huge fan of the rest of his ideas --- and I do like quite a few of them --- I would vote Obama first. So will most of the rest of the country. As for the rest of the Republican lineup, I'm this close to deciding on either staying home entirely, or announcing my own candidacy on the "Banana King" platform: everyone gets an earful.
 

Lightslei

New member
Feb 18, 2010
559
0
0
ResonanceGames said:
Yes, I'd love to put a guy into office who's agenda includes abolishing the Department of Education, the EPA, the Federal Reserve, cancelling all foreign aid, and going back to "sound money."

And since we're on the internet, which has apparently just become a ridiculous Ron Paul echo-chamber, I should point out that I'm being sarcastic.

I like the guy, and his style. But his policies are just the worst kind of ridiculous.
Well you also have to consider your choices.


I'm going on the premise of the more insane they said, the more logical they sound for the position of President this time.

Can everyone tell me what browser they are playing this on? I'm on Chrome and I get Unknown Script Error with every movement.
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
Comando96 said:
-Dragmire- said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Have you seen the Ron Paul campaign ad? It's bonkers.

<youtube=ZA7Uw60bnBc>
Holy crap! That was like Spike TV advertising the WWE!
errr... you haven't seen this one then :/


Its not by the official campaign people but... it gave me shivers :s
Well, to be fair, if there was ever a place we need a little foreign help...it would be Texas. Most of those people are crazy; ever been there? I mean, I've only been as deep as Amarillo, but the place was like a Cohen Bros movie on PCP.
That ad's a little comforting to tell you the truth.
However, with that said, Ron Paul is probably the least nutty Republican candidate; so they can't all be completely batshit.
I just hope the Right wing corporate media Koch strategist (whatever it is that's been pulling the strings for them) doesn't leave him waiting in the wings until he gets senile like they did with McCain.