Sledgehammer: Spec Ops Mode is a Bridge to Modern Warfare 3's Multiplayer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sledgehammer: Spec Ops Mode is a Bridge to Modern Warfare 3's Multiplayer

Modern Warfare 3's Spec Ops mode will let you get most of the perks of multiplayer, without having to listen to squawking pre-teens on the internet.

Sledgehammer Games' co-founder Michael Condrey says that the Spec Ops mode in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314025014&sr=8-1] is a great way for players to get ready for the game's multiplayer, without having to worry about being shot in the face from the other side of the map by a guy in Düsseldorf.

Condrey said that Spec Ops was a lot of fun in its own right, but that the survival mode - which is the Modern Warfare equivalent of Treyarch's zombie mode - was a great training ground for multiplayer, as it took place on the same maps. In addition, Spec Ops would allow players to rank and try out new perks and weapons as they level up, completely separate from the game's multiplayer.

This will undoubtedly come as good news for Call of Duty multiplayer neophytes, or casual players who want to play against other people, but are discouraged by not knowing where they're going and not having a chance to find out because they're constantly being stabbed, shot, or blown up. I wouldn't be surprised though, if Spec Ops replaces traditional multiplayer for some people. It's got most of the benefits, like playing with friends and unlocking new weapons, without the downsides of having to put up with griefing, cheating, and the internet's other undesirable residents.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii on November 8th.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/talking-to-sledgehammer-games-about-modern-warfare-3-209397.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29]

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
That actually sounds good. I liked Spec-Ops in MW2. It was probably the only thing I liked about it.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Now this I like. I've always hated coming into a multiplayer game, only to be repeatedly sniped and insulted because I never knew all the ins and out of every arena the very second I get in.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Isn't this all but admitting that perks in MW unbalance the multiplayer towards people who've invested more time...

I thought the perks were supposed to be sideleveling.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
I really like this... I mean Call of Duty has always been fun online, but I just hate the little 10 year olds that were raised on the game... this new Spec Ops mode certaintely is good news to me.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Y'know, as much as I don't want to like this game with ever announcement it sounds better and better. While with ever Battlefield 3 announcement it sounds worse and worse. I won't buy either but I am definitely more interested in MW3 now

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Funny, Black Ops had this too. Well, it had the 'training mode' where you could play with bots (and split-screen with other people in the room). Not that I've heard of anyone playing it after they got the achievement/trophy for hitting level 10.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
The Rockerfly said:
Y'know, as much as I don't want to like this game with ever announcement it sounds better and better. While with ever Battlefield 3 announcement it sounds worse and worse. I won't buy either but I am definitely more interested in MW3 now
Same here. I love CoD myself, but being able to rank and perk in Spec Ops will almost certainly convince some of my more lukewarm friends to pick this one up. Beating Spec Ops in MW2 together was some of the most fun we ever had (especially if this one's four-player!).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
no racists and homophobic 12 year olds. Cheers!

Pretty sure its still a cookie cutter game from the previous 4 installments but this at least is 'unique.'