"Sleeper Hits" from the last generation

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Hey guys,

Lacking a PS4 and the ability to play MGS5/Mad Max/etc., I've been going on kind of a retro kick. I've gone back and forth between the real oldies and the PS360Wii era, and I've found a lot of great games that kind of snuck under the radar that really deserve attention.

Asura's Wrath - So it's heavy on the QTEs, but this is the closest we are so far to being able to play an anime with the intensity of 5 Dragonball Zs. The level of extreme reached in the fighting goes far beyond expectations, and I love it. It's a real shame that important story is yanked out for DLC though. It has a demo for PS360 if you want to try it out.

Nier - A game that didn't get either the budget or time it deserved, I can't tell which. Either way, it's an action RPG with a fantastic story that ties into Drakengard without the need for Drakengard knowledge. It's an RPG, a brawler, a shmup, an adventure, and even a text adventure all in one. It's wacky and its fantastic.

Shadows of the Damned - It's a game that doesn't match the expectations set by its parents: Suda51 of No More Heroes fame, Shinji Mikami of Resident Evil 4 fame, and Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill Fame. It plays like RE4 but nowhere near as tightly, the story isn't really as "wacky" as we expect from Suda51, and Yamaoka-san's music is great but doesn't really fit the setting and gameplay. It's still worth playing if you like 3rd person shooters and games that don't take themselves seriously.

Vanquish - Japanese Gears of War with rocket boots and an arcade feel, also by Shinji Mikami. If you have any interest in 3rd person shooters, the "old days" of scoring and bullet-dodging, and like the idea of sliding on rocket powered boots from one end of the map to the other while shooting giant robots in slow motion, you need this game in your life.

*Entry that does not fit the criteria* - My wife asked that I include this one, even though it's from the PS2 and not the last generation - Everywhere Road Trip. Also known as Road Trip Adventure in Europe. The boxart makes it look like some crazy American car carnage racing game, and that's absolutely not what this is. It's a CaRpg- where you drive around an open world and talk to other sentient driver-less cars by driving into them. It is a racing game, but it's equally a collect-a-thon, minigame collection, and open world RPG adventure. It's definitely interesting if nothing else.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Alan wake. Great story. Decent gameplay. It was engaging enough that i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Alpha protocol. Hated by many, loved by few. One of the 2 games last gen i replayed back to back. Darksouls being the other one.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Folklore is pretty interesting. It has a strange Suda/Swery vibe, but certainly not as heavy. The gameplay isn't great, but the experience as a whole is entertaining.

I'd look at my shelf for more but everything is currently boxed up.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine was some of the most fun I've ever had in a third person shooter. Satisfying, visceral combat combined with a unique way of regenerating health encourages you to ditch the cover and wade into battle, chainsword swinging.

Games like this made me wish that Games Workshop wasn't so protective of their IP.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
EHKOS said:
Folklore is pretty interesting. It has a strange Suda/Swery vibe, but certainly not as heavy. The gameplay isn't great, but the experience as a whole is entertaining.

I'd look at my shelf for more but everything is currently boxed up.
You're like the 4th person that's mentioned Folklore in this context lately, and I've decided to find it and pick it up. I remember not being impressed with the demo, but that was literally near the time of the PS3's launch so a lot of things have changed. I'll see what I've been missing.

I thought of one since I've been gone. Radiant Historia for the DS. If anyone owns a DS/3DS and enjoyed either Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy Tactics, or like games about time travel, this game is an absolute must-own.

The Last Story/Lost Odyssey - They both qualify, and they're both from the mind that brought us Final Fantasy. The Last Story is an action focused look into the potential future of JRPGs done properly without MMO mechanics, and Lost Odyssey was a beautiful love letter to the PS1/PS2 era JRPGs with all the production of a 360 game. They both feel so different I couldn't pick one over the other, all I can say is thank you for everything, Sakaguchi-san. On that note, here's a pretty funny video of a "behind the scenes" on Final Fantasy's growth:

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'll second Asura's Wrath. That game took even the most extreme anime and ups it up about ten notches. The first thirty minutes of the game has you sky-diving from space towards an army of space sea creatures.

Sengoku Basara is pretty much the overshadowed younger brother of Dynasty Warriors and something a majority of people are unaware of. Plays pretty close to a warriors game, just they take it and make it way more anime like. With a famous Japanese general becoming a mech warrior. I still prefer my warriors games, but this one is something fans should play.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Oh right, Kingdoms of Amalur. It wasn't as bad as I assumed it would be.

I guess I thought it would be bad because the developer 38 Studios went under, but I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Got it used, plus the DLC was either made free by EA or the code was never claimed. Very fun, plus you have the ability to change your character class on the fly, if you have the gold and saved the equipment. As someone else mentioned before, the number of special moves you can map is limited, but at least you can change your preferences in the menu.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
Games like this made me wish that Games Workshop wasn't so protective of their IP.
Your wish has been granted. It's now available to everyone and their dog to make crappy mobile games out of.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The Puppeteer is a really charming platformer on the PS3 with a pretty good story. Then there's L.A. Noire which people stopped talking about relatively quickly after it launched but which I'm having a ton of fun with at the moment. Other that those I'm struggling to think of anything really worthwhile...Warhammer40K: Space Marine was fun as others have mentioned and Alien vs Predator is alright and made better if you're one of the many of people who hated Colonial Marines. Transformers: War For Cybertron was a surprisingly solid 3rd-person shooter too...ok seriously, that's all I've got now.

Unless you're also interested in DS games in which case Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans is a great traditional JRPG that goes from the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament (Dragon Ball's final season) to the epic fight between Goku and Vegeta (end of...season 2 I think...season 1 of DBZ-Kai I assume) The DS also has a bunch of Dragon Quest (4, 5, 6 and, 9). If you're into importing there's JUMP Super Stars and Ultimate Stars. These two are Smash Bros but they use anime characters (from Shonen JUMP) instead of Nintendo characters. Alien: Infestation is a highly rated DS game that I haven't got around to playing yet but it looks like a 2D, Metroidvania, action-survival kinda deal.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MGS5 is on the 360/PS3 and its playable, the framerate does suffer but its like Dragons Dogma or something.

Either way, Tenchu Z, Crackdown, EDF2025, Stuntman:Ignition, Flatout Ultimate Carnage

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
Spec Ops: the Line, what you think is just another cliche' military shooter turns out to be something else entirely: it will make you feel like shit for playing through it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dan Steele said:
Spec Ops: the Line, what you think is just another cliche' military shooter turns out to be something else entirely: it will make you feel like shit for playing through it.
It really doesn't though.

I've talked about this before, but the game is linear and completely lacks any character choice so I never felt like I had an impact on where the story was going and thus never felt bad about any of it.

You can't just force the player to do something in game and then tell them "you did a bad thing" when they do it to progress. Without an element of choice and at least the illusion of other outcomes the whole thing just falls flat, at least for me. So yeah, I have no idea why people had such a hard-on for this game.

I will give credit where credit is due though, the marketing for the game was brilliant.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Lost Oddysey was fantastic. Made by all the people who left Square when they realized that Squarenix was run by morons, that did all the things that Square says can't be done in RPGs anymore. They also did Blue Dragon, that was decent, but it was basically just a worse FFV and all the sequels were made by other companies...and were awful.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
So this is really just a thread for hidden gems right?

Heavenly Sword - Just...why did people hate this game so much...Why? No I'm not actually asking for a smug response. I'm just saying that anyone who doesn't mind a game that could be seen as a derivative lesser God of War then you should play this game. Really with all the high priced overly marketed annual games that mostly all play a like...what have you got to lose?

Splatterhouse

Binary Domain

Vanquish

Lost Odyssey

Nier

Tomb Raider Underworld

Tomb Raider Anniversary

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Condemned Criminal Origins

3D Dot Game Heroes - Seriously if you haven't played this you need to play this why have you not played this go and PLAY THIS.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories - Maybe not a great Silent Hill game(Though I would argue it's a great Silent Hill story)...but still a really great game.

Yakuza 3&4

Kirby's Epic Yarn - "It's too easy! There's no penalty for death" god why can't it just be an enjoyable experience? Soak up this game, take it all in you will have a great time with it! And if you want some challenge try getting the collectibles there you go. This game is just a joy to play.

Resistance Fall Of Man - Yeah it was a big block buster but you know over time people really seem to love to hate or have forgotten this franchise or just this one game really. And it's a shame because even though the first game is a very drab game to look at. It's also a really great old style shooter. And when I say that I mean more in the vein of Halo and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Not Duke Nukem or Doom.

Wario Land Shake It!

Muaramasa The Demon Blade - You like Dragons Crown and Odin Sphere? Then why did you pass this game up?

And last (for now) but Most certainly not LEAST!

Transformers War and Fall of Cybertron - These games along with the show Prime actually got me to appreciate the G1 robots. I was a 90's kid, my Optimus was Optimus Primal. So I had no real love or any kind of fondness for the G1 guys until really this game (And then Prime came along and really made me a fan). *sigh* Is it bad to say that my interest in them was piqued by Transformers Revenge of the Fallen?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
alpha protocol as someone else mentioned was butchered in reviews and was/is a buggy mess in places thats unbalanced in certain mechanics..ie the pistol skill is so over powered you dont need any other weapon

all that said and despite the reviews time has shown it has developed a cult following

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Hmm, let's see.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. That wasn't really a big release, but it was a damn solid Western shooter. Simple but fun, akin to what the Space Marine game did.

And I'd say that the Overlord games weren't exactly big either, but they were really fun and relatively unique.
Dirty Hipsters said:
You can't just force the player to do something in game and then tell them "you did a bad thing" when they do it to progress. Without an element of choice and at least the illusion of other outcomes the whole thing just falls flat, at least for me. So yeah, I have no idea why people had such a hard-on for this game.

I will give credit where credit is due though, the marketing for the game was brilliant.
Then again, neither do books and movies force the watcher to do anything and they're linear experiences as well, yet it's really common to get such reactions to those. I'd say Spec Ops: The Line's 'bad feels' moments compare more to those than to the bad feelings you get from actually having to live with making a bad choice. It's just another case of getting invested in media, and Spec Ops: The Line did so pretty well through the use of interactivity, point-of-view shenanigans and clever pacing.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ooh lemme see... There is always Alan W...
Lufia Erim said:
Alan wake.
Ah, ok. No problem. An enjoyable cheap purchase is Alpha p...
Alpha protocol.
Hm. I see. Well I bet nobody's mentioned Flatout U...
josemlopes said:
...Flatout Ultimate Carnage
Damnit!

Ahh, I think I have a good'n. Surely nobody has yet given Binary D...
Chester Rabbit said:
Binary Domaint
Garrrgh!!!

SINGULARITY! Hah! That'll do. Enjoy!

Edit: Dust, an elysian tail/tale . Apparently it wasn't as well known or successful as I assumed. So have at. Have at it a lot.